1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Delay between turns

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by Nytran, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Nytran

Nytran Chieftain

Hey guys, Ive searched the forum looking for a solution to my problem but what I found didnt really help, hopefully one you guys can help ;)

Basicly Im having really long delays between turns, after I end a turn it takes really long to move on to the next, and gets even longer as the game goes on. The size of the map also affects the delay, on huge maps its just unbearable.

Ive searched about this issue and my first conclusion was lack of RAM. Im playing civ on intel core duo 2.0, 2gb ram, vista 32bit, nvidia 8400M GT.
    However Im now pretty sure the problem cant be lack of RAM, Ive used Fresh RAM to check memory comsuption and even to optimizing RAM usage, and it never goes above 60%.

Also this problem only occurs with the Final Frontier mod and any mods related to FF. Other mods and the original BTS work fine on any map size with any number of civs. So my guess is its something related with FF. Also tried lowering the graphics to a minimum but didnt help either.

2. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

This is because Final Frontier:

-is done practically all in python
    -uses python to store buildings

There are quite a few time-expensive callbacks enabled in Final Frontier/FF Mods that, if disabled, would make the game go a lot faster. Also, solar systems are done entirely through python. And finally, as I said, buildings are stored in python lists. So as you build more and more., the lists will get bigger and bigger.

In 3.0, deanej plans to move as much as the non solar-system stuff to the DLL (thus making it a lot faster) as he can, I think (and hope!)

3. Hankc

Hankc Chieftain

That sounds like something to look forward to, then. The delays are realy killing the game for me, i'm afraid.

4. Nytran

Nytran Chieftain

Ye, specially in huge maps, I really enjoy the ST Galaxy with all the real story events, but after just a few turns the delay gets pretty bad.

Ive been playing as custom game with a smaller map and just a few civs, its ok but really looking forward to play the huge ones.

5. GeorgiaBoy

GeorgiaBoy Chieftain

Is it possible just to have a star? If so, I am assuming it would help...

GB

6. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Not really. Since the solar systems are always on the map, your computer is rendering all of them even at the start of the game where their is not much lag (civ 4's 3D graphics need to be rendered whether you can see the tile or not).