Delaying Auto-Produced Units

Chalito

Warlord
I’m trying to do this in the The Great War scenario. Created a Bolshevik Civ with a City Improvement to auto produce a unit. I made that unit require a resource that is only available after a certain tech is discovered. Hoping it wouldn’t start producing those units from the start, but unfortunately it did start making those units without having that resource available.
The purpose of this is for the AI, so while I know I can delay the availability of that City Improvement, I don’t know if it’s a guarantee the AI will build it, so that’s why I gave it to the Bolshevik towns from the start.
Any ideas you guys have?

If you want an autoproduced unit to be resource-dependent, you need to give the resource-dependency to the building.

Then the problem becomes, how do you ensure that the building gets put up only where it is 'intended', which can be done by e.g. making it require an untradeable Era=None tech that only the Bolsheviks know.

Since this is a Scenario, you could also preplace such a building wherever you want, but have it (also) require a Government which is only available to the Bolsheviks, which should make the building invisible and inactive for all the other factions.

Last edited:
In addition to tjs282 suggestions, if you want the actual unit-producing structure to be built in all Bolshevik cities fairly quickly following discovery of a certain tech then make it require that tech but cost 1 shield and 0 maintenance, that should encourage the AI to build it. If you want it to be built only in a specific city or cities, then you can either make it dependent on local resource which is only available in the relevant city, and/or an existing improvement which you can pre-place. (E.g. Bolshevik Barracks requires Soviet Council etc. - Soviet Council is unbuildable but you pre-place it in the relevant cities in the editor.)

Thanks guys!

Okay, I've got the Era+None tech set up with the Bolshevism flavor and made the City Improvement very cheap to encourage the AI to build it, I also checked a bunch of flags to reduce corruption and increase luxury and happiness, to really encourage it! The City Improvement and Infantry require the Bolshevism resource which is only directly under their cities guarded by 300 Defense Immobile Units. I've already noticed the Russian AI completely ignores the heavily guarded Bolshevik cities, so they're not wasting any manpower there until 1917.

I also made the Red Army Infantry fairly cheap, in case the AI doesn't built the City Improvement, they should alt least build a bunch on their own.

Making things cheap has zero effect on encouraging the AI. The AI does not factor in cost. They will never build the cheap infantry if units with better stats and same AI strat flags are there. Unless it's an empty city. Then they will build the cheapest unit with the defensive AI strategy flag.

In order to have the AI build an improvement or small wonder ASAP, you need to either have it give lots of culture or feature a huge flintlock patch perfume value.

Very interesting, I suppose making it cheap would at least mean it gets finished quickly if and when the AI does decide to build it! If culture is the main plus factor, is there any known logic to how the AI chooses between non-cultural improvements then? Is it totally random?

Very interesting, I suppose making it cheap would at least mean it gets finished quickly if and when the AI does decide to build it! If culture is the main plus factor, is there any known logic to how the AI chooses between non-cultural improvements then? Is it totally random?
There are a few things you could do in the editor to emphasize non culture improvement but the impact is mild at best. "Build often" is the first place to go. But there's no way to emphasize barracks and walls. These cheap buildings make a huge difference and are very timing dependent.

Top Bottom