Delegation Gifts suggestions list

I'm not sure about food for the Mapuche but they are known for their silverwork and textiles.

Byzantine silk should definitely be part of the list (and rename "pastirma" which is the Turkish version to "paston"). I'd also replace Commandaria which is very specific to Retsina, a very popular Byzantine drink still produced today in Greece.
Sidenote: There's an actual account of Liutprand, a delegate from the HRE to Constantinople tasting Retsina and being repulsed by its taste, so it'd be a very nice reference as a delegation gift along the lines of "Here's our finest Retsina... if you can take it" :mischief:

Greece can have mastich as well. Ottomans should have raki definitely, and "gyro" (which is correctly "gyros" in Greek) should be "döner kebab".

My city has so much amazing ethnic food. Why is one good Middle Eastern restaurant too much to ask? :cry: Levantine, Persian, Turkish, Egyptian--I don't care just so long as it's good. :(

Florida doesn't have Middle Eastern people, that's why! :p

Florida doesn't have Middle Eastern people, that's why! :p
There's a very large mosque in my city, and as I understand it Florida has the second largest Coptic population in the country after California. :p

There's a very large mosque in my city, and as I understand it Florida has the second largest Coptic population in the country after California. :p

Maybe the Copts don't cook? :dunno:

Now I'm craving Syrian ice cream. :(

The true Levantine ethnic dessert is mahallepi/muhallebi :^)

My city has so much amazing ethnic food. Why is one good Middle Eastern restaurant too much to ask? :cry: Levantine, Persian, Turkish, Egyptian--I don't care just so long as it's good. :(

Or Armenian. Armenian lahmajuns are amazing. Now that I think of it, we should add those to Armenia delegation suggestions as well.

Maybe the Copts don't cook? :dunno:
There is actually a Coptic-run Egyptian café here, but the food is only semi-homemade. :( Their hummus is from a can... :sad: Fortunately my mom makes good hummus.

The true Levantine ethnic dessert is mahallepi/muhallebi :^)
Kunafa is my personal favorite, but Syrian ice cream with gum mastic and sahlab is harder to find. I only had it because the baker at a Jordanian restaurant I love made some for her family and shared it with us. (I'm actually lactose intolerant and cream, including ice cream, makes me very sick, but it was worth it. :p ) I had mahalepi at an Assyrian restaurant in Portland; it was delicious. I looooove rose water.

Or Armenian. Armenian lahmajuns are amazing.
I'd love to try Caucasian food, but I've never had it. It's similar to Persian and Turkish, I gather? I had something similar to lahmajun at a Turkish restaurant, actually.

I'd love to try Caucasian food, but I've never had it. It's similar to Persian and Turkish, I gather? I had something similar to lahmajun at a Turkish restaurant, actually.

Lahmajun is common in many countries in the region (the name itself is Arabic). The Armenian one might be the original one and Armenians are well-known for making it very well, but it's not considered Caucasian food by any means. This is mostly food from western Armenia (eastern Turkey) and Armenian communities in the Levant and Cyprus.

Top Bottom