deleted

no, theDale helped with this one's SDK elements, and Fabrysse created some new python and greatly modified GIR's Partisan Modcomp. Dale also helps with the coding of Civ4 itself.

I myself merely assembled the xml components and graphics, as well as some tunes, and i cannot help you with the code. I suggest that you look at Dale's Combat Mod for alot of the code that was used in this mod, and of course, PM dale ;)

ps: i cant remember who jdog5000 is, if i have met him, but he didnt submit (i dont think so)

i know that dale has been working on some proprietary code that would do that, but its his and i dont think he's releasing it to public. but dont quote me on this, coz i have a foggy memory.

And as I mentioned to you Kevin, if you read the Civ4 Firaxis license you'll notice that all modifications belong to them.

Therefore by law of precedence, the Firaxis license applies to the mod, not GPl.

Dale

PS: You know, to get around it you could just program your own auto-AI using your own code. Just use the ideas from the original mod. There's no license on the idea. ;) BTW, my version was written from scratch, though I did it for other reasons, not a license one.

And as I mentioned to you Kevin, if you read the Civ4 Firaxis license you'll notice that all modifications belong to them.

Therefore by law of precedence, the Firaxis license applies to the mod, not GPl.
To be clear, what this means is that it's a violation of the GPL to use someone else's GPL code in a Civ4 mod. As Dale correctly says, Firaxis owns the IP in the mods because of the Civ4 licence. Therefore, you are unable to abide by the GPL restrictions and *must not* use someone else's GPL'd code in a Civ4 mod. To do so is a violation of the GPL licence and hence copyright infringement of the GPL'd code.

It's free as in speech, not beer.

You can of course use your own GPL'd code (it's yours), but as Dale says you are then unable to enforce the GPL terms - you've given the code to Firaxis.

Directly from the Firaxis Civ4 license (off the CD):

THE SOFTWARE UTILITIES.

The Software may contain a level editor or other similar type tools, assets and other materials (the “Software Utilities”) that permit you to construct or customize new game levels and other related game materials for personal use in connection with the Software (“Customized Game Materials”). In the event the Software contains such Software Utilities, the use of the Software Utilities is subject to the following additional terms, conditions and restrictions:

(a) All Customized Game Materials created by you are exclusively owned by LICENSOR and/or its licensors (as the case may be) and you hereby transfer, assign and convey to LICENSOR all right, title and interest in and to the Customized Game Materials and LICENSOR and its permitted licensors may use any Customized Game Materials made publicly available to you for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to for purposes of advertising and promoting the Software;

(b) You will not use or permit third parties to use the Software Utilities and the Customized Game Materials created by you for any commercial purposes, including but not limited to distributing, leasing, licensing, renting, selling, or otherwise exploiting, transferring or assigning the ownership of such Customized Game Materials;

Note that LICENSOR = Take-Two Interactive and associates.

Part a) specifies that all custom game materials (mods etc made by us) is owned by LICENSOR.
Part b) specifies that no custom game materials can be placed under any other license (among other things).

Therefore, LICENSOR has NOT given permission to place the stuff in question under GPL, so therefore the GPL license is invalid as it was not the original makers position to place it under GPL.

You have no fear of GPL.

QED!

Directly from the Firaxis Civ4 license (off the CD):

Note that LICENSOR = Take-Two Interactive and associates.

Part a) specifies that all custom game materials (mods etc made by us) is owned by LICENSOR.
Part b) specifies that no custom game materials can be placed under any other license (among other things).

Therefore, LICENSOR has NOT given permission to place the stuff in question under GPL, so therefore the GPL license is invalid as it was not the original makers position to place it under GPL.

Yes, I agree, no Civ4 mods can be placed under GPL for the reasons you give.

Therefore, if you have any code which *is* GPL'd (eg clever pathing algorithm) you cannot use it in a Civ4 mod as the GPL requires derivative code to be GPL'd. You can't make the Civ4 mod GPL, therefore you cannot use any GPL code in it.

(Also, Kevin is of course also correct that you can do as you want on your own computer regardless)

No, my point is the original GPL is INVALID due to the license terms of Civ4. The GPL on the user's code does not exist, and should never have been claimed on the code.

There are over three hundred and fifty types of banana but less than a dozen are commercially available.

No, my point is the original GPL is INVALID due to the license terms of Civ4. The GPL on the user's code does not exist, and should never have been claimed on the code.

I think we're talking at cross-purposes as I don't disagree with anything you've said. It's not possible to put a civ 4 mod under the GPL. Any licence terms purporting to do so are invalid.

Top Bottom