Demographics in civ 1

RedKi-rr

Prince
Does anybody know what is the meaning of the numbers in demography?
Something like producion, deceases, years in army, culture...I have idea only on some of them.

Probably this question was rised already, but I couldn't find a topic.

I have the formulas here, but it's a real complicated mess. So which ones are you most interested in? ;)

Approval Rating: 100% = everyone happy. Everyone content = 50%. Everyone unhappy: 0%

Military Service is also quite easy!!

Average number of years = 10 * (number of units / Size)
(where Size is total number of city size numbers)

So 6 units with a city of 5 and a city of 7 would give: 10 * (6 / 12) = 5 years.
If you have 9 units with cities of 3 and 3 then: 10 * (9 / 6) = 15 years.

Theov, Thank you very much!

Actually, I would like to see all the formulas. And I don't afraid of mess.:crazyeye:
So, even in the case you have almost a plain text, I would be grateful if you could share them)

Then I want to make a short comments on each point at Demographics.

I have a Russian version of civ. So, there could be some differences in terminology.

Demographics (some of my observations). Please correct me if I'm wrong. Probably formulas could depend on year (like BC or AD). I hope Russian version of civ should work pretty much like English one.

Line 1 (Approval rating). It's interesting, but I see some differences. Only one city of size 3.
Two contet and one unhappy give 25%
Three content give 37%
One happy and two content give 50%
Two happy and one content give 62%
Three happy should give 75%
Size four city.
Two happy and two content give 60%
One happy and three content give 50%
By induction I assume that one happiness give 10% of approval...
The formula could be something like the this - 100/((Size+1)*2) percent for each happyness (turning unhappy into content, or content into happy). So, it's not possible to get 100% approval rating!?

Line 2 (Population).
Looks like quite clear. When city has size 1, then 1 collumn (a kind of abstract invisible collumn) of food is already fulfilled. That is 10k people. Then city of size 1 start to fill its two collumns. When they are filled that another 10k*2 people can join the city. Total population becomes 30k. Now city of size 2 has 3 collumns to fill. When these collumns are filled then another 10k*3 people can join the city. The city becomes of size 3. So, the formula is (Size*(Size+1)/2)*10k. The logic behind this is as follows: it's a sum of the ariphmetical progression and we need to count the number of collumns (including ALL invisible collumns).

Line 3 (GDP). I have no idea...Also, probably it's counted as average for several turns (years?)

Line 4 (Goods, Products, Production, Manufacturing). It looks like just the number of producted shield. Is it counted after fatories and plants? Anyway, it's quite clear hear. By the way, does it count difficulty level? (when we have embassies with rivals)

Line 5 (Sqaure). I have no idea...Tests doesn't help.:confused:

Line 6 (Culture). Also have no idea...City with size 4 (one happy, one content, two unhappy) with no building. Culture is 8%. I heard that libraries should make some culture.

Line 7 (Catastrophes, Disasters). Well...the same test game. I have 50%. So again, I have no idea on this.

Line 8 (Pollution). At least there is some logic here. Anyway, it would be interesting to see a formula.

Line 9 (Average duration of life). With the same city of size 4 I have 21 years. I guess it should depend on food income.

Line 10 (Average number of children in families). Or may be this one should depend on foon surplus.

Line 11 (Military service). I have one city of size 3. Two militia give 5 years, three militia give 7 years, four militia give 10 years. (probably barracks correct this?) Four size city and four militia gives 4 years...in the same case three militia give 2 years. Two and one militia also give 2 years. Well, I'm confused here...) Does it make any sense when military units made of different number of shield?

Line 12 (Income in one year, for a capital, GDI?) I don't understamd. There is some mess with diamonds and coins.

Line 13 (Some another production). I totally have no idea here. The same city of size 4 producing only one shield gives 32.

Thank you, guys!

There are a lot of thing to think about. I can see again how nontrivial Civ 1 is...:goodjob:

Military service looks strange. My ingame sests show different numbers. Did someone else test it?)

BtW, is somebody interested (was interested) in OCC (no Colossus) games? May be there exist some old threads I missed...It's quite difficult and challenging.
I can remember, Urtica dioica was interested and did some test. Also there are several people who did serious play OCC in Civ 2. But unfortunately there are so few for Civ 1 (at least I know so few).

So far, for me one of the most optimal strategies looks like The fastest Republic -> the fastest trade. May be I will write later some more thoughts on it in the neighboor thread. At the moment I didn't do many tests, and the results are not exiting.

Top Bottom