1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dems now control California and Vermont. Is it time for state level single payer?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sumit1207, Nov 5, 2010.

1. sumit1207

sumit1207 Prince

So, Dems took those two governorships, and I think that was the only excuse liberals had for not achieving UHC, yes? The next time the CA legislature passes SB 810, Gov. elect Jerry Brown will surely sign it, right? And Gov. elect Shumlin sounds very promising as well. He is meeting Obama later this month to ask for some waiver to pursue single payer? Do you think this will be rejected?
    Does anyone know if state-enacted single payer programs would cause those states to lose federal Medicare/caid/SCHIP funding? It seems like this would lead to major inconsistencies, but I really have no idea.
    Also, is there potential in other progressive states? Connecticut and Rhode Island abandoned GOP governors too, so maybe some hope there? MassCase I hear is as bland and useless as Obamacare, so could it be reworked soon? I don't know how any of there legislatures are though. Is there any traction in Washington/Oregon? I would think they would have been among the first for UHC reform, and I think they're Dem-controlled too.

Also, Massachusetts voters OVERWHELMINGLY embraced single payer as a simple non-binding ballot question, like every single county. And Brown's election was apparently some repudiation of government control of healthcare. Hah.

http://www.examiner.com/bronx-county-independent-in-new-york/single-payer-wins-massachusetts

http://www.examiner.com/bronx-county-independent-in-new-york/single-payer-wins-massachusetts

2. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Don't underestimate how conservative Connecticut is, despite going nearly all Democratic. Connecticut doesn't change things. And many other states are too fiscally strapped to enact new programs now.

3. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

Where exactly would California obtain the revenue to start a single-payer system now?

Can't say I know anything about Vermont's fiscal situation.

4. sumit1207

sumit1207 Prince

Vermont has a potential 110 million deficit, which I guess is significant for its size. Hopefully they will be able to design UHC so costs are limited.
    I just read there is a provision in the Obamacare bill that prevents states from implementing single payer until 2017? Great, so not only bland and useless but detrimental to real reform.

5. The Yankee

Those supposed benefits from the Obamacare package weren't due to kick in for several years anyway, single-payer or not.

6. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Deity

I think you're right but I couldn't find a link.

I don't think they could have passed a worse bill if they actively tried.

7. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Deity

Oh, and I think Vermont already has universal coverage for children. Howard Dean brought it up during the Obamacare debate, before he sold out and supported the bill.

8. amadeus

amadeus Kaicho

No, we need to force it down everybody's throats.

9. Cutlass

What about what conservatives shove down out throats?

10. amadeus

amadeus Kaicho

That's the genius of states' rights... the abortion ban in Alabama isn't going to mean breaking out coat hangers in California.

11. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Deity

Hey, stick to the subject :)

States should have the right to set up their own public options. Obamacare took away that right, which is not only immoral but also (IMO) unconstitutional.

12. Cutlass

Way to change the subject and hope no one notices. :rolleyes:

13. amadeus

amadeus Kaicho

There wasn't an abortion ban in Alabama, I was just using it as an example of "conservative" policy.

Again, an example.

14. Cutlass

What about them shoving down our throats a completely broken medical system that they won't allow to be fixed?

15. The Yankee

Can't both sides have lousy legislation?

16. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Deity

Yeah, I kneaux. I used the states-rights example because that's a conservative principle that would benefit liberals...thought our resident libs might be more receptive to that message.

Two other good examples in the same vein are No Child Gets Ahead and Real ID, both of which were Shrub ideas that violated states' rights. And the Utah Legislature passed nullification resolutions on both (so nullification isn't just something they do to the black guy).

17. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

We can only hope.

18. amadeus

amadeus Kaicho

Which conservatives would those be? Would they be the ones that started the rotten idea of employer-based health insurance, the ones that made it so that people can't buy insurance interstate, or the ones that are going to "cut costs" by forcing the system to support 30 million new clients?

19. Cutlass

Sure. But only one side is constantly claiming everything the other side does is being rammed down the county's throat.

20. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

How is California going to afford a single-payer anything considering how completely broke and debt ridden it is? Of course, they'll probably try it, fail miserably, and then run to the government for a hand-out.