1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Denmark Civilization and Scenario Pack and Explorers Map Pack due for may 3rd

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Snerk, Apr 27, 2011.

1. anandus

anandus Errorist

Well, it looks like a 2D-representation of Bluetooth, actually
    Spoiler :

2. petercrapsody

petercrapsody Chieftain

hey so do these maps change every time i load them? or are they pre-set? if so, what do i select to "randomize" them? i can't really figure this out from the menu

3. anandus

anandus Errorist

There are 5 maps, they are static. And there are 5 maps scripts, they generate a new map every time.

4. petercrapsody

petercrapsody Chieftain

oh ok. and the scripts are pangea-plus, continents-plus, sandstorm, ???, and ???

sorry, i just couldn't find this information easily accessible!

5. anandus

anandus Errorist

No problem, the information is hard to find.
    But here it is.

The scripts are:
    * Amazon ("similar Amazon or South America with random elements")
    * Continents Plus ("similar to continents, but with expanded scripting for chains of islands and city state placement")
    * Donut ("a circular pangaea. You can choose what type of terrain is in the center")
    * Pangaea Plus ("similar to pangaea, but with expanded scripting for chains of islands and city state placement")
    * Sandstorm ("A harsh world comprised primarily of desert")

And the maps are:
    * Bering Strait (standard size)
    * British Isles (standard size)
    * Carribean (standard size)
    * Eastern United States (standard size)
    * Japanese Mainland (tiny size)

:)

6. petercrapsody

petercrapsody Chieftain

thanks much. sandstorm is pretty cool.

7. eric_

eric_ Emperor

This is a totally nerdy complaint (shocking on a forum dedicated to Civ, I'm sure ;)), but it would be nice if they used "comprise" correctly (primarily comprising desert) or replaced it with "composed". :D

Other than that, can't wait to pick this up and play it!

8. anandus

anandus Errorist

Oh, that's my bad :mischief:
    I remembered it wrong when I was parafrasing/typing this.
    It does say composed :)

This is what it says:
    "A harsh world composed primarily of desert with smaller patches of plains and grassland"

Bloody foreigners, raping the beautiful English language :spank:

9. eric_

eric_ Emperor

The Motte and Bailey looks great! Would be cool if that showed up as a unique improvement in the core game at some point, although I suppose it would be an awkward fit for any existing civs/leaders.

10. eric_

eric_ Emperor

lol, English is a lot of things, but I'm not sure "beautiful" is one of them ;). Anyway, sorry for the inadvertent call out! That particular word is almost never used correctly, even in US newspapers! And, misuse on a forum doesn't really catch my notice, just misuse in published works. Even then, it's more chuckle-inducing than anything.

For future reference, though (assuming you care/are interested ;)), "comprise" is easy to keep straight if you think of it as "encompasses".

11. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I was thinking if they added the Celts as a Civ, they could make the Dunn, a Unique Improvement and essentially make it something similar. Still, extra artwork is pretty cool. Can always find ways to mod it in for other uses.

12. Brichals

Brichals King

You totally violated paraphrase too :p

13. eric_

eric_ Emperor

True that. I would love to get into modding some day. Unfortunately, I barely even have time to play these days...

It's interesting about the Motte and Bailey, though. In the core game, would it be more accurately a French or English improvement? Heh.

14. anandus

anandus Errorist

I totally agree, it's beautiful.
    Maybe as a pre-gunpowder citadel or something?
    Thanks (and yes I do care :) )
    lol, true that.
    Damnit :hammer2:

15. eric_

eric_ Emperor

That could be cool! A unique GG improvement. I like it. But, for which civ? If they were to add new leaders, I suppose they could give France William the Conquerer and when you play as him, GGs can build a M&B, pre-gunpowder.

[edit]I suppose he was never King of France, so that wouldn't make sense. Not sure how it'd go over making him a leader of England, either ;)

16. Brichals

Brichals King

Well it's parafrase in Dutch so an easy mistake to make, a "false friend". You guys speak really good English by the way.

17. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

I'm almost done on my first vikings/continents plus map. I like the vikings, they're another like the mongols that are completely geared towards warmongering. The map I could live without, however. I don't mind SOME city states on islands, but every single one?

berserker is native 3 move, so the move bonus doesn't carry over with promotions. It also starts with amphibious promotion. Combine that with the UA and you can do some serious damage to a coastal city. Ski infantry are rifleman-replacement, they get double move on hills, tundra, and ice (non-forest only in each case) plus they are +25% combat power on a non-forest hill/tundra/ice tile. And ski infantry promoted from berserkers retain their amphibious promotion.

Donut is the new one, it was not in there before. I immediately noticed it when I downloaded the maps yesterday.

18. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I love how the 1066 scenario leaders are in beautifully rendered 2D. Do wish some sort of diplomacy was possible, though I like it as it stands as a fairly challenging war scenario. =D

As for the maps, I wish the real world maps allowed you to choose sizes other than standard/tiny (depending on the map).

19. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

The Vikings sure look interesting, they might be the first DLC I will buy. Just wanted to ask the people who played as the Vikings two things:
    Are they suited for mid or late game warmongering?
    Are the Ski troops good or not really?

Thanks for the answers in advance.:thanx:

20. Fabiano1979

Fabiano1979 Chieftain

The Danes are the best warmongering civ on the game, doesnt matter the era IMO.

The AI just doesnt know how to defend itself fast enough. Its really easy to achiev a conquest victory. A few well planned wars and thats it. You can conquer a capital, defend it for 2-3 turns, make peace and them keep navigating.

On maps like fractal or archipelago you will have a huge advantage with the fast moviment.

It was my first DLC too, but probably the last. I just bought because I really like vikings. But the scenary and the maps in my opinion are not worth it.