Denmark Civilization and Scenario Pack and Explorers Map Pack due for may 3rd

I thought I would share my experience with the continents plus map script for anyone who has yet to download the new dlc. I bought the combo pack for continents plus alone and am very disappointed with it. The continent and island patterns are great but all civs start on continents and all city-states start on islands.

I thought I would share my experience with the continents plus map script for anyone who has yet to download the new dlc. I bought the combo pack for continents plus alone and am very disappointed with it. The continent and island patterns are great but all civs start on continents and all city-states start on islands.

how many continents do you typically get in a standard map. is it earth-like?

So, any idea what Bluetooth's music is based on? I don't think I know the piece

Somebody put a video clip of his diplo scene up on youtube and I'll see if it rings a bell.

The Vikings sure look interesting, they might be the first DLC I will buy. Just wanted to ask the people who played as the Vikings two things:
Are they suited for mid or late game warmongering?
Are the Ski troops good or not really?

Thanks for the answers in advance.:thanx:

I don't think they're better than songhai for warmongering, but they're definitely one of the best.

They are very well suited for mid/late game warmongering. Every Berserker gets amphibious, and the ski infantry get +25% combat power on hills/tundra/ice (non-forest) plus double movement on that same terrain. promote up from berserker to infantry/mechs and you have a pretty nice advantage on land-locked civs and a very nice advantage on coastal/mixed civs. Keep in mind that there aren't many forests left late-game, so almost all hills/ice/tundra that you see will give you the movement+combat bonus.

Yes, I like the concept of having lots/more islands that are actually worth building cities on, but moving all the CS's out like that practically guarantees that they'll all survive the entire game (unless you go crazy on them yourself).

I'm going to have to slightly modify what I posted earlier. This morning I started 3 games of continents plus and revealed the map in debug mode. In two of them all the CS were on islands and in one all but one were on islands.

This afternoon I did the same thing and had slightly different results. Anywhere from one to four CS (out of 16) were on continents while the rest were on relatively small islands.

The number of continents ranged from two to four in the maps I loaded up. I might try this map out a couple of times but I think I'll go back to fractal eventually for a more random map.

You typically get two continents, usually with an assortment of smaller islands. Sometimes the major civs are scattered on as many as four "continents." It looks real to me, if that's what you're asking, and are almost always much more playable than the Earth maps, in my opinion.

Anyone got tips for winning the 1066 scenario on Emperor/Immortal difficulty? I've been having a hard time taking London without playing as one of the two Viking leaders. Norman knights are nice but still suck at taking cities. :(

Not without a mod I think, petercrapsody.

Pouakai, I think it might just be the difficulty level. You only get 2 units for free each round of reinforcements on Emperor difficulty. That said I think Svern has the most troops of any AI player in the beginning setup, so maybe I'll try winning on Emperor as him. :O

Two things I've noticed that may not have been mentioned:

1. The pillaging for free part of their UA does not apply to gunpowder units. The pillaging promotion does, however, carry on through promoted melee units. I think Denmark is the only civ with a UA promotion that behaves this way.

2. The longboat embarked animation is retained in the Industrial and Modern (and presumably Future) eras. This is pretty awesome; did they patch Polynesia to do the same?

Keejus, I have confirmation from Michael Curran himself that the Viking DLC music is based on two tunes:

1. Drømde mig en drøm i nat

"The earliest piece of Scandinavian music thus discovered comes from the Codex Runicus, a vellum manuscript dating from c. 1300 and containing early Danish law texts, most importantly the so-called Skånske lov, or Scanian law. The Codex Runicus is also the source for the melody "Drømte mig en drøm i nat." This melody, thought to be the first two lines of a ballad or folksong, is found on the last leaf of the manuscript, written in the same hand as the text on the preceding eight leaves, but otherwise with no obvious connexion to it. It is the oldest preserved piece of music known in Denmark."

2. “Nobilis humilis”

"An earlier piece of music which may shed light on Viking Age musical traditions is a twelfth century gymel or "tune in two parts," Nobilis humilis, written in praise of St Magnus in Latin by the monks of St. Magnus Cathedral, Kirkwall, Orkney. St. Magnus was martyred on the island of Egilsay on 16 April, 1117 during a dispute with his cousin, Earl Hakon, over the just division of the Earldom of Orkney. Nobilis humilis is preserved in the same 13th-century manuscript as Ex te lux oritur, the hymn for the 1281 wedding of Princess Margaret of Scotland and Eric II of Norway.

The hymn is in a two-voice polyphony in the Lydian mode and harmonized in parallel thirds. This can also be described as a parallel organum in thirds, one of the earliest polyphonic forms."

Curran found both tunes on a website called The Viking Lady: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/music.shtml

Love how they're authentic, not made up stuff like what was done for the Vikings in Civ IV! :D

Yeah, the creative effort in DLC is quite good, which helps give it better value.

That is awesome, thank you for sharing :)

And yeah, I love the effort put into each civ in this game. Knorr and Curran have been doing a fantastic job.

No problem! Glad to be of service. :)

Agreed with both Louis and Keejus on the great work for the DLC. It's excellent that they kept the spirit of those old tunes and recast them with greater harmonic subtlety and epic heights. I love how closely they are sticking to authenticity.

I'm sure the other DLC music will be quite as good. Curran and Knorr apparently composed the music for the DLC separately from the music for the actual game, according to an interview with them (I can't remember the site's name though, but there's at least 3 written interviews with both composers). It's unclear whether they're still composing DLC music, but I'd make a fair bet on that possibility!

Top Bottom