1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Denmark Civilization and Scenario Pack and Explorers Map Pack due for may 3rd

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Snerk, Apr 27, 2011.

1. anandus

anandus Errorist

A very interesting DLC, great UA, love the beserkers and nice leaderhead.
    Very interesting scenario as well!

------------------
    Well, I guess the chances for another DLC in short term that's European and naval (eg. the Dutch or Portuguese) are quite slim.

Next DLC will be the Zulu, I guess?
    We've had DLC for America, Europe, Middle East and Asia, and the last two DLC were naval, so a land-DLC would make sense.
    I wouldn't mind Shaka and his impi's though.

2. Morgen

Morgen Chieftain

Norwegian kings under a Danish civ... What's next, French kings in the English civ ? Stalin as the ruler of America ?
    Denmark had no part in the invasions in 1066.

Norway was more powerful than Denmark for several centuries until the late middle ages, and even ruled Denmark at one point.
    Should have been called Norse or Viking civ.

3. jmik99

jmik99 Chieftain

You are joking, right? :eek:

The danish vikings were the leading cast of the viking era.

In 1066 it was already viking sunset. The danes was like been there, done that. :)

Oh, and Denmark ruled Norway for CENTURIES.

4. sylvanllewelyn

sylvanllewelyn Perma-newb

So all that boring discussion about "what makes a Civilisation worthy of being included" was silly. The point is they think of interesting local historial events to play out, and then attach the associated civ along as a sidenote. Now it makes sense, and I mean it in a neutral and non-sarcastic way.

But with the Danish UA, who needs Siphais anymore? Now the Ottomans are truly and utterly useless.

5. chegel

chegel Warlord

I know why they chose the Danes:
    Everything is better with Bluetooth.

Link to video.

6. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

The Danes seem like a perfect counter to Polynesia on island maps. All those Moia so defenseless...

7. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

If William the Conqueror was the English leader I wouldn't have a problem with it (French leader). Same with if they went with a German (like the Georges).

Harald Hardrada claimed to be the King of Denmark. Whether he ever was is a bit of historical dispute. Plus, in 1068, Sveyn of Denmark did invade.

8. aguds

aguds Warlord

Danish Vikings? Pathetic

9. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Danish Berzerkers, Norwegian Ski Infantry (from the Kingdom of Denmark-Norway), and a Danish leader who went out and conquered Norway and Southern Sweden. Then his son conquered England.

Seriously, I'm shocked that this thread has brought out such strong nationalism. The Danish Empire was the height of united Scandinavia. The game is representing that. It's nothing against the parts of the empire that aren't included in the title. No empire actually can function without all the people who support it, so Norway was a vital part.

10. Wezqu

Wezqu Warlord

I agree with Louis. I would have not taken offence if it would have been Sweden and there would have been finnish unit as their special unit as long as it would have been the one I mentioned before. Norway has been under Danish kings for quite much of its history and to me the norwegian unit should be taken as a compliment for their efforts in defending their joint kingdom.

11. nagano

nagano Chieftain

What makes you so sure that the Korea DLC is not the "much requested feature" coming in the second patch?

12. Keejus

Keejus Prince

Oh man, awesome. This is the best way possible to implement vikings in Civ and the Danes should be a mainstay of the series from now on.

In my totally unbiased opinion.

13. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Because the 2nd patch would follow (presumably) too soon on the tails of the Denmark DLC. Firaxis is purposefully spreading the release of their DLC out a bit (and wisely so).

Plus, Korea's not a feature of the game. But maybe post-game replay or actual multiplayer would be. None of this is to say I believe Korea won't be in...you and I know that some of my fellow Koreans are absolutely nuts and will make a big deal about Korea not being in the game. But Turtle Ships? Every geek who knows about them will be happy to see the day a Renaissance warship with excellent ranged defenses and a smoking dragon's head appears. The pressure's on, Firaxis! :p

14. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Looks fine and interesting. And after Religion is introduced, I'm looking forward to the Sweden Civ + 30 Years War Scenario!

15. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

I would say either a mistranslation (The Korean site you referenced is not actually owned by 2K, but ran by a Korean partner, so this is extremely believable), or they leaked something for future release.

16. MasterMishi

MasterMishi Warlord

I dont buy the dlc and i urge all others not too, that way maybe it will prevent this becoming the norm. just release a finished game pls.

surely france would be in the scenario

im not buying it despite the tiny bit of excitement

mp > sp imo

17. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Well, France itself probably not, but certainly Normandy.

England/Saxons - King Harold Godwinson
    Danes/Norway - King Harald Hardraada
    Normandy - Duke William
    Scotland - King Malcolm

Not in 1066, but in 1068 1069, William had to defend his newly conquered territory from an uprising in York (I think there was a successor to Harold), an invasion from the Danes by Sveyn, and an invasion from Scotland by King Malcolm.

18. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

IMHO Denmark's King Sweyn II should also be a contender in the 1066 scenario. He was also toying with the idea of pressing a tenuous claim to the English crown like his rival Hardrada... he just waited to invade until 1069, after William's conquest.

19. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Was it 1069? I was thinking 1068, but my memory is vague here. I also combined all Scandinavians together, but I could see separating Sweyn/Sveyn's Danes and Harald's Norwegians.

20. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

1069, and then again in 1074-5, if memory serves.

Edit: Oh, and if you look at the new achievements:

Fetchez la Vache! - Build a Motte and Bailey improvement
    This Was Their Finest Hour - Win the Scenario as Anglo-Saxon England (Any Difficulty)
    You The Conqueror - Win the Scenario on Emperor (Any Civ)
    Surviving Ragnarok - Win the Scenario on Deity (Any Civ)
    Purple People Eaters - Win the Scenario as Norway (Any Difficulty)
    Survivng Doomsday - Win the Scenario on Immortal (Any Civ)
    Where's The Biathlon? - Enter a Snow tile with a Norweigan Ski Infantry
    Hands Free to Victory - Win as Harald Bluetooth
    Pillage, then burn - Pillage 9 farns on the same turn
    Time to Stitch a Tapestry - Win the Scenario as Normandy (Any difficulty)
    Odin's Chosen Warrior - Win the scenario as Denmark (Any Difficulty)

Both Denmark and Norway are playable in the 1066 scenario.