Departamento da Forças Armadas

PurpleTurtle

Shellshocked
This thread is intended to house discussion and analysis of all matters military in nature. All knucklehead behemoths, evil scientists with brilliant secret weapons, generals with revolutionary new tactics, and power-hungry, blood-thirsty warmongers are welcome! Please note that we have yet to determine who will be the chief military adviser as well as firmly define the role the military will play in our strategy. We suspect however it will involve violence! :D

It has come to our attention that military assets will be used extensively for exploration and therefore this may fall under the portfolio of this department. As such the following screenshots taken in flying camera mode are relevant. They seem to strongly indicate that our starting area has a significant mountain range in all cardinal directions except south. In the spirit of encouraging the department of defense to examine future such screenshots and analyze them in detail I am posting the following for future examination.

Spoiler To our North :

Spoiler To our East :

Spoiler To our Northeast :

Uh, the last one is north east not west... This is to the west:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• and to the west.JPG
    and to the west.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 325
We need to decide where to move the warrior... i am leaning towards N or NW... Our turn will come up shortly again. The idea is to explore around the mountains to be able to see what is on our imeadiate west side as well(since we won't get out another exploring warrior). Other options include SE and NE. It is our turn to move now even...

I first thought E but I forget that we are playing on a faster pace game and need to make a smaller loop around the city to uncover fog of war. North or NW would be good

Here is an up to date screenshot of our warrior's progress. As you can see the move revealed some nice river tiles. It looks as though a hill is directly north under the fow. Kendi did a color analysis in photoshop and we suspect that while at first blush the tile one space north and two west looks a little gray it is a plains tile. Kendi has determined that a grassland square has an almost entirely green pallet, and there is a mixture of green and yellow in plains. Basically even if it is covered up by fow she can tell what type of tile it is by doing a sample of one of the darkened pixels. They may look black but they aren't they still are generally on the pallet they would be on fully exposed. This only works a short distance into the fow but it could still be useful, particularly if she were to hit an oddball color that would tip us off to a resource. Or, she might be able to pick up a border for us before it is visible.

Spoiler Revealed Terrain :

my color analysis from warrior's position:
W,W = plains
N,W,W = best guess plains , no forest
N,N,W,W = best guess plains, no forest
N,N,W = inconclusive terrain type, only see forest
N,N = grasslands, hill, forest
N,N,E = grasslands, forest
N,N,E,E = best guess plains, no forest
N,E,E = grasslands
E,E = plains

I certainly think NW is best now, that is assuming we want to loop around the mountain to see what is on the west side as well(where we know there is at least one floodplain.

I agree, NW makes the most sense at this point.

I agree wholeheartedly. What do we do however if we encounter the mountain range and there is a path into it? Go north of the entire range? Go into the chasm?

I am thinking NW next again, hopefully there won't be more mountains, would be nice if someone could actually check that out though(rolo?).

What's the tile directly north of the sheep? Not a mountain, is it? I'm just thinking that if it isn't, we could continue NW and still be able to come back south and west without backtracking too much if we run into a wall of mountains.

The tile north of the sheep is certainly a mountain. So is the tile NW of the sheep. We knew there was a mountain there, we just don't know how big it is, if some map gazing could tell us that, it would be nice... Anyways i still think we should try to lap around the mountain to see what is on the other side... And hence hope it is not too big...

looks like have to go NW again would be good idea as it does look like 3 vertical mountains (so far) to the West. From looking at it in Photoshop it looks like NW,NW square is a hill forest, can't come to a conclusion if is plains or grassland. NW from the sheep looks like a hill, I'm thinking it is a desert.

I think another NW warrior move is good too, hopefully the mountain range isn't going to continue too far...

Edit: Ok, I'm editing this for discussion on what turn 5 revealed. The mountain range extends further up; at this point I might break off trying to head around it. It's not a confirmed theory but it heavily looks to me like this range was intentionally mapmaker placed to block some region off. I would head NE and see what else we're seeing in that direction - particulary if there is more land or coast eventually to the east.

Also, the mountains aren't going to be yielding any resources - I very much think we need to scout out if there are any food resources by all these hills (NE of the capital) that we have revealed. It would be painful if there wasn't food somewhere because that would make settling there much less useful early on (and plus it takes a while for settlers to travel through hills to further away spots).

after turn 5:
NW is rather pointless next, N NE are the only real possiblities(since if we are going south going NE first would be better anyways). N might be better if we had reason to belive the mountain range ends shortly, since we don't, i belive NE is the best option. We would still see if the mountains countinue northwards. N won't let us see any longer since there is a forest 2N.

There are mountains to our north, so after this observation(should probably have been done last turn though, i think we should just go NE then lap around down south again... would be nice if someone with a decent hardware setup / knowledge about map scouting could do this though because i really don't have a clue what to look for. At least there looks like there aren't mountains to the north east, but what do i know...

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0169.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0169.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 262
I agree on moving NE next turn, and exploring back south-east like. Besides the terrain there seems decent, there are lots of rivers.

River and forests are nice, sure, but having some food resources would be nice, with this land financial would have been nice...

Top Bottom