1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Department of Nomenclature – Term 1

Discussion in 'Team Epsilon' started by gbno1fan, Mar 17, 2006.

1. gbno1fan

gbno1fan Emperor

Department Head: fe3333au

This thread is for general discussion regarding the naming of units, cities, and landmarks.

2. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Woaaahhhhhhh, were gonna have a city soon

It needs a name :)

Not to mention our first warrior needs a name too ;)

3. Kentharu

Kentharu Zebra Commander

it shall be named BooBo, after my cat who died and never really existed :p

GLORY TO BOOBO!!

4. gbno1fan

gbno1fan Emperor

Not sure where fe3333au is but...

Let's begin discussion of naming the city and the warrior.

We also need to discuss an overall theme for our naming - create a naming system.

5. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

6. Memphus

Memphus Deity

Yup I am in for that one :goodjob: Let's just hope were not iron deficient :lol:

Does that mean our second city will be called Luyten 726-8 :rolleyes:

7. Memphus

Memphus Deity

As for our starting warrior....he needs some sort of exploratory name :confused:

8. lost_civantares

lost_civantares [Insert Title]

We could always name him Quillen Thorndike after the discoverer if we decided to be extremely boring. :p

9. lost_civantares

Edit: sorry, extra post.

10. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

I was waiting for the Screenie ... and now realised discussion should have begun prior .... sorry :blush:

Hmmm interesting ideas .... I will add.

The Screen is not very inspiring ...

City
    I'm thinking something more simple ... Genesis ... or 5th Seed

As to Warrior ... What about Seeker ... or Rover :lol:

Nomenclature for Workers ...
    I propose named after players in team in order of joining ... if they get captured, killed ... another will be named but with a 'II' added yo indicate 2nd ... etc.

When we run out of team member names ... other options will be discussed.

System for individual Units
    As to a system to distinguish between differing unit types, I'm not so sure that it is needed due to type being displayed whenever the unit is accessed by another team ... however I'd hear your thoughts.

So Let me know what you think soon as we may need to vote.

Also ... As I do not have a cIV working ... I will also need someone to supply what can be labeled :D

gpno1fan ... Do I report here or your thread so that you can pass orders on naming to President :confused:
    ... if upto me, I'd say you look here for naming instructions.

11. gbno1fan

gbno1fan Emperor

I'll look here for names. I've set this thread to send me emails so I'll be checking if frequently.

I'm in favor of the workers being named after players.

I guess we don't need the system for unit types. I wasn't aware that Civ4 displays that information.

I like Rover for the warrior. Do we have anything Chinese-ish for the city? I assume it will be our capital and it may be nice to have it sort of fit the civ (that is our civ, right? It's been so long...)

12. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

Why be chinese? ... Epsilon is not chinese!

The whole point of having creativity in nomenclature is to not be constrained by presets.

So far we have three options
    > Epsilon Eridani
    > Genesis
    > 5th Seed
    ... I'm assuming Kentharu's cat was a spammish joke :p

13. gbno1fan

gbno1fan Emperor

I agree that we need to be creative. I was only suggesting something Chinese for the first city. However, I have granted you full command over this department, and I have no intention of changing that.

Of the three options, I prefer Epsilon Eridani, with a twist. Let's leave it as Eridani - let the other teams put the 2 together.

Genesis seems too generic for some reason, and we've already used the concept of 5th seed in the creation of our passwords.

14. General_W

General_W Councilor & Merlot Noble

My first choice would be "Epsilon Eridani" - I think that's fabulous! :clap:

Second choice would be "Genesis" - love that too. Maybe it could be a second city name... throw them off a bit :crazyeye:

If we do go with the "Epsilon Eridani" - I think it's important to keep the "Epsilon" in there... I like the idea of having the team name in our capital city.
    That's my vote anyway.

15. Memphus

Memphus Deity

I'm With General W on this one I like keekping Epsilon in our Capital Name.

I Also Like naming our Workers after team members in order of joining,

As For individual Units, Personally think if they win a heroic battle (i.e. low odds, capturing a city, defending a city in crisis) It should be renamed after a team Member, sitting Office:
    For example if DaveMcW was our president and on the interim we get declared war on and one of our unsuspecting units pulls of a heroic victory he could be named: DaveMcW the Resiliant

Or if Our current Secretary General of Defense let's use, azzaman333 decides it is time to go to war the unit which finally conquers a city could be called:
    Azzman333 The conquerer of XXX (insert city name here)

For the mean time though they should have generic names which can later be "upgraded" as they upgrade ;)

fe3333au do you own the game? If so pm me and we can talk :)

16. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I like Dave's suggestion of Epsilon Eridani, keeping the team name as part of the city name.

17. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

I don't have the game :(

That's why I'm wondering if it is possible ... also I am not the only one else I wouldn't have asked :D

18. lost_civantares

You can name units in the game, just click on the name and a pop-up should come up asking for a new name, so a worker of our's would be shown in the game to be "Fe3333au (worker)".

19. fe3333au

fe3333au Deity

Thanks lost_civantares :salute:

I like that the renaming options have been extended in this game to include virtually everything.

So any other options on naming our military?

While I like the comments made regarding adding titles ... I'm not sure I like totally changing the name ... mind you the topic is and will always be, open to debate and concensus :)

What I'd like to discuss is should we have a naming regime for each type of military unit path ... or have them named individually as they are produced?

What do I mean by this?

Well an example is that all 'like' units all share a common theme in their name ... maybe a feline theme ... so units of that particular type having names like Tiger Sin, Edward the Lion, The Ocelot, Drunken Lynx, etc.

You get the idea ... so that each are itentifiable and can also show those that have survived to be upgraded.

Thoughts?

Could someone also post a list of early units that we would be likely to produce in the early stages of the game.

20. lost_civantares

From memory:

In the early (ie first or second tier of techs):
    -Warrior
    -Worker
    -Settler
    -Archer
    -Swordsman
    -Axeman
    -Chariot
    -Horseman

Sounds like a good idea, especially the compartlamized system.