1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Department of Stranger Affairs

Discussion in 'Team Piffle' started by Bede, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Bede

Bede Chieftain

We have made a new friend of the Purple People.

An introductory note is in order.

2. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Booti writes better openings than I but how about this?

3. Oldbus

Oldbus Chief of Confusion

It sounds reasonable to me.

4. Whomp

Oldbus if you'd like to fix it to sound more English, with Cockney rhyming slang or something, please do. :D
    Like I ate a kebab and ended up with Tia Maria...:mischief:

5. Oldbus

I'm afraid I can't do Cockney - I'm from Yorkshire. I'll do you a Yorkshire version, but it's one of the less understandable British accents (behind thick Glaswegian, Geordie (Newcastle) and possibly Scouse (Liverpool)) - think Michael Palin doing a caricature accent turned up to 11.

DON'T send this unless they've a couple of players in England otherwise it will be merely dumb rather wacky.

Err...maybe some correspondance in a style suited to our naming of Bubba, Skynard and Billy Bob would be appropriate? I'm definitely not going to attempt that...:lol:

PS I've just run your original note through http://www.whoohoo.co.uk to see how they translated it into Yorkshire. It's not bad, though I'venever met anyone who would have talked quite like that ;) :
    Spoiler :
    Greetings team epsilon, our warrior bubbeur wor movin thru t' jungles 'n whoa does 'e stumble upon? your fearsome warrior dark pumeur! ha 'ood theur li' ta set up eur meetin atwixt wee twoa countries ta discuss dis sirian world o' ours. cheers, the piffles

6. Conroe

Conroe √∞

I like it Oldbus! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well, if redneck is what you want, how about something like this:

7. Whomp

:lol: I think we should send both to prove how truly insane we are. We could explain that we have the proper English version of the message and the good ol' boy who ain't askeered of 'nuffin version. They do have some Aussies on the team and Fe3333au will get a kick out of it.

8. Whomp

I sent both versions of the message to add a little levity to our meeting and received a message back from Davemcw.

With the skills of Davemcw and Kylearean plus Fe3333au's silver tongue we have met a formidable opponent.
    Do we want a long term relationship with these guys or do we need to knock them down with some friends? As we've seen in pitboss a dogpile is a difficult proposition regardless of skill level.
    Bubba's version
    The Pifflenatress' version

9. Oldbus

Well, that should keep them thinking for a little while :lol: The more we can build on this team's reputation for being wacky and sending out possibly confusing messages the better (I'm sure they'll all realise that is what we're doing, but if it means they have to work harder to figure out what we're up to then it is to our advantage).

As for the relationship bit, I think we should follow the wise advice of professional sportsfolk the world over when they are being interviewed and "take it one turn at a time".

As you said, they have some formidable players, and even being on the outside of that Pitboss game made me realise just how tough an opponent like DaveMcW can be.

This is probably stating the obvious, but:
    1. they'll attempt to destroy us if they think they've a chance
    2. they'll be a tough enemy to have close to us (I'm assuming they are close to us) this early in the game
    3. they'll drop any alliances as soon as they think it is not in their interest
    4. they have got good enough players so that they are unlikely to make a big mistake about whether or not it is in their best interests to be allied to us -no matter what we tell them
    5. as we have seen in the pitboss game, having a reputation for being a good player/team can backfire on you, and they may be a dangerous ally to have even if they keep every promise they make to us

One thing I'd like to find out is if they have met anyone else. Of course, they may not tell us if they have (I think we should be vague about the fact that they are the first team we've met). They may have made exploring a priority in order to set up a lot of one-on-one deals with teams to try and prevent us uniting against them.

How do we normally keep in touch with other teams - PM/email or IRC? Given that we're an anarchy, how do you expect we choose who among us will communicate - whoever happens to be online at the time, or one or more designated folk? Also, in previous incarnations of this team have you used the fact that we could use different team members in order to stall stuff? (I like the idea of meeting a pompous, bureacratic team who are proposing something to our disadvantage and driving their 'nominated representative' nuts by making them communicate with someone different every day :mischief: )

Apologies if I've had an attack of the bleeding obvious in this post, but I'm new to MP and this is where things start to get very different from the solo game, so I'm trying to get to grips with it.

10. Kickbooti

Kickbooti Ecclesia Militans

I can't speak to the deeper issues Olbus raised; I fear I am a 'hacker' (in the golf sense) Civ player and don't spend much time on chats adn the like.

But I can speak to how the anarchy works in the Civ III MTDG.

In the Idiot Anarchy each player has a strenght(s) that they bring to the table and water just seems to flow to its most natural level. We have Geeks, MMers, diplomats, war-mongers and verbose idiots (me). We cut loose with whatever facet of the game makes us happy and as various skill sets are recognized the tema runs with it.

In terms of diplomacy, we usually let Whomp do his thing, he is the mellifuous voice of reason in the chat rooms, and then whoever else is available serves as a foil as needed.

In terms of decision making, we hash things out on the forums and then once there is a concensus (two idiots agreeing on one idea is considered concensus) we run with it.

The nice thing about anarchy is that it facilitates fun, and there haven't really been any people eager to upset that enjoyable balance.

I am not proposing that we reproduce the KISS model from CivIII MTDG wholesale, but since Olbus was stating the obvious, I felt obliged to do the same :D

11. Whomp

What's interesting between the two MTDG's is we met MIA first and Epsilon first.
    Many of the same players from Epsilon are with MIA. MIA was a very good partner for us and potentially could've been through the balance of that game. I feel they are trustyworthy regarding their reputation when signing a treaty, formidable in all forms of game mechanics and as silver tongued as we can be.

In my estimation, they will be there at the end unless we can get the other 3 prepared for a dogpile. We can also make them aware, like pitboss, that their reputation preceeds them and they'll need friends.

As far as diplo goes...most of it is accomplished on MSN or AIM. I've really enjoyed this aspect of the MTDG. What can I say I like talking. Issues and such. :D

I would like some other people to join me in the "art of hmm", asking questions and guessing team's next moves. Who's with me?
    Here's a pm from General W

12. Conroe

Conroe √∞

I think they provided you with an answer ...

13. Kickbooti

I'm for peace, in principal. I only insist that any treaty Bubba negotiates is concluded by spitting on his hand and shaking.

14. Oldbus

The email from Epsilon in our Gmail box is identical to the PM message.

I agree that our intention should be peace.

Of course, regarding their phrase "we are pleased to learn that we are not alone in this world" - maybe that's what they want us to think :) Of course, they're probably being straight with us.

Maybe we can say to each team 'it is good that we are not alone in this world' - it doesn't imply that we have only just learned this fact.

You'll have seen from the turnplay that there was no sign of Dark Puma.

15. Whomp

Haha. A few more exchanges. I will try to schedule a specific date. Who's interested in joining me? IIRC we can talk about anything, correct? Tech, land composition etc.

16. Conroe

Conroe √∞

Honestly, looking at that phrase in context of the whole message, I really think they let that piece of intel slip by unintentionally. We'll never know, of course. But, that is the way it seems to me. Maybe some of you folks that have played with MIA may be in a better position to judge ...

I guess I would be hesitant to disclose too much information at this point. There is no tech trading, yet. I don't recall having any spare resources to trade. I'm kinda new to this MTDG stuff, but I'm really not sure what there is to discuss.

Although, this brings up an interesting question. Does the F4 screen show them as being connected to the trade network? Since we have researched Sailing, coastal trading has been enabled. If they are not connected, then they do not have a coastal city (or at least one connected to their capital).

17. Kickbooti

Again, Whomp would be better at explaining this, but my impression from Civ III is that idle banter through chat builds trust. Its a psychological thing of course, but showing yourself pleasant and trustworthy in small, obvious matters builds some trust.

Besides, for many the Chat manipulations are part of the MTDG game, and so they appreciate an opponent that gives them something to play against.

18. Whomp

As Rik Meleet said to me once and I concur.
    "These games are won out of game more than in game".

I think we've seen that in the Civ3 MTDG now that TNT has been eliminated.

We won't be giving anything away until we decide what type of relationship we want with these guys. They have a team that is skilled both in game (Davemcw/Kylearean) and out of game (General W/Fe3333au).

IMO they will be the team to beat in the end.

19. Oldbus

That's interesting. I'm not too bothered about being involved in any chats myself - I'm almost certain to blab something when I don't have a Preview button. However, I'm not sure how many Europeans we have on the team, so it might be helpful if we meet folks on this side of t'pond. Anyway, we can see how that develops.

20. Sweetacshon

Sweetacshon In the foetal position

I was under the impression that the coastal trade was only open if there is a line of sight.. I mean by that the fog has been busted along the coast between ports... could be wrong, tho.

I think we should play the info trading fairly tightly, ie give nothing away for free, but the question is, what are we willing totell them right now, and what would we like to know about them? Perhaps swapping some info like the number of tiles (roughly) that the cities lie from where Bubba met Dark Puma?

There's probably no need to get into techs and what not yet, considering we have no way of trading them. Actually, maybe we should build a galley or 2 to explore quicker??