Department of Stranger Affairs

I'm for not telling them anything right now. They don't know anything that we can't find out for ourselves or, truly, take advantage of yet.

I think we should build a city at the Isthmus to block their access and I wouldn't mind building a galley though I don't know where in the build que it should go...

couldn't we arrange for a tech deal aimed at alpha? or is that giving away too much (ie, one team goes for Writing + alpha (120+300=420), other goes for metal (450)? Metal team also gets 30g (or whatever it converts to at the game settings)?

Dang, Gman. Stop making sense!
I think we should propose that.

Would we want to trade away Alphabet so soon? Although, with Copper and so many sea tiles that we will be working, the Colossus may very well be worth the tech leverage of Alphabet.

I think you know my views on the Collosus! :)
This sounds like a good idea. It certainly provides a good foundation for the relationship also. We could also try to sqeeze a little more out of the deal by, say, trading writing with another trading partner (I'm sure we'll find one soon) for hunting/archery or a religous tech.... ok, that's speculative, but an idea

I like Gram's idea. It starts us off on a reasonable, honorable foot. Do we want to go for Metal or the Writing/Alpha path? I guess I favor metal, I like forges, but I'm 51/49 on that opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't whoever goes for metal get a head start on the Colossus? Especially if they are the GNP leaders? :mischief:

OK show me the way and off we go.
my pm to General W said:
Sorry for the delay Gen.W.
I had another hat to put on recently.:p

OK...here's what we were thinking.
One team goes for Writing + alpha (120:science: +300:science: =420:science: ), and the other goes for metal (450:science:). The metal team also gets 30ish gold?

A peace agreement?

Let us know your thoughts.
Mellpiffluous Whomper
and his to me.

OK we have what we want. We'll need to figure out how to get the cash from them or another tech deal where they owe us 30 beakers. What about a peace deal? Until we meet some others I think we should make friends with these guys.
General_W said:
Dear Mellpiffluous Whomper,

Don't worry about the delay in the least! I've been a bit… distracted… myself of late. :lol:

The terms you outline seem both straight-forward and fair.

The Leader wishes me to convey our desire to take the Writing/Alphabet path while you learn the secret of working metals. We will commence work on this path as soon as we complete our current research.
However, I am informed that without knowledge of something called "currency" we cannot figure out how to pay you the 30 gold gap in value. We therefore propose to pay you the gold as soon as we have the knowledge to do it – or else repay you sooner by arranging another technology trade where you come out ahead by a similar amount.

A peace agreement only makes sense for our two great and noble peoples. Shall we agree to a specific timeline for guaranteed peace? Or would you like the peace to extend indefinitely with just some kind of a "10 turn notice" clause for either team to exit the peace?

Your response is eagerly awaited in the Golden Halls.

Sincerely Yours,
Foreign Minister General W
Servant of The Leader
Epsilon Team

I'm not too worried about the cash at the moment. If they refuse to pay up, we're probably going to have bigger problems than 30 gold.

I agree we should go for peace. I don't have very strong feelings either way for the 2 proposed treaties. I would have thought the indefinite one was easier to keep track of. Although we should agree to their '10 turns notice' request, it is of course meaningless in a treaty like this. If either side decides to align with someone else and cancel the treaty, then the 10 turns wait makes no difference. If the situation is serious enough for one side to declare war, then they will ignore the 10 turns notice anyway.

Knowing how righteous some of the player on Epsilon are about treaties I don't think they'd ever break a treaty.

I'm not a fan of the "10 turn clause" because it creates a lot of undue tension between teams if someone breaks off a peace agreement. I'd rather make a treaty for a specified timeframe and renegotiate from there.

I think you're right about the tension, Whomp.

Were you thinking about going through a specific 'era' or just picking a turn number?

I lean toward the turn number, just tell them we hold the RNG in high esteem and it spit the number out or some such...

I think that sounds perfect Booti. How about 32 turns? :lol:

I missed this thread since somehow...

I'm with Whomp about the no 10 turns crap. If you hadn't renegotiated peace by then, well you'll end up like KISS did in the civ3 version of this.

Tubby Rower said:
I'm with Whomp about the no 10 turns crap. If you hadn't renegotiated peace by then, well you'll end up like KISS did in the civ3 version of this.

Already with the past tense?:shake: :cry:

:lol: I was refering to the backstabbing which could be argued that went back as far as the transition out of the Most Ancient of Ages.

OK so send it?

Cryptic Panda said:
OK so send it?
If that's a question..... yes

If it's a request for someone else to do it.... not it!!

Please send it Sir Smart Pants of the Rowers.

Top Bottom