1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Depiction of God

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Yoda Power, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

God is a dude, that's for sure.

2. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

IIRC my HS art history correctly, this painting by Masaccio in the 1420s set the standard for depicitng Jesus in future years. Prior to this mural, there was no standard image for him. The Tribute Money:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Masaccio_011.jpg

It is not god, but it does illustrate how standards are set.

3. Nordstream

Nordstream Prince

Polytheistic religons have the best depictions of gods. Hinduism Greco-Roman polytheism, Norse, Egyptians, Mesopotamians they can't be beat.

I challenge your Christ to go one on one against any of these guys. See who wins. :p

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

4. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

In my church, the minister interchangeably uses he/she when referring to God.

5. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I believe I've heard that the Koran frequently and purposefully switches pronouns when speaking of the Allah, so it is feminine or neuter as often as she is masculine.

None of the Abrahamic religions (well, apart from a few sects) conceive of God as having gender (apart from grammatical gender, which can vary based on the particular title) or a physical form that human would be at all capable of perceiving (not that He couldn't of course choose to manifest herself however it wishes). I personally think that "it" would be more appropriate, but for some reason in English using a neuter pronoun is construed as a denial of personhood, and thus disrespectful. I've seen a lot of people argue that the Holy Spirit should be referred to as He instead of it because of that, even though a neuter pronoun would be used in Greek because spirit is a neuter word. That seems rather odd to me, and is but one more reason why I dislike my native language.

Any depiction of how God looks is rather sacrilegious. It comes anywhere close to being accurate then anyone who looked upon it would instantly die.

6. WhiteEagle22

WhiteEagle22 Avatar of Justice

That is true. However, the Bible state the two times God was visible in a "human-like" form:

1. When He visited Abraham to make a covenant with him, and to tell him Sarah was going to give him a son.
    2. When He will sit on the throne during the 7 year Tribulation after the Rapture.

You all have forgotten (forgive me if I'm wrong) that God is not just one person, but three: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (also called Holy Ghost). Those who saw Jesus also saw God, but in the form of the Son. He has also had the form of a still small voice (Elijah), a flaming bush (Moses), light and dove (at Jesus's baptism); and a pillar of fire by night and a pillar of clouds by day (Israel's 40 year journey in the desert). You have to remember the most important thing the Bible says about God: He is a Spirit and had no physical body before the Incarnation.

7. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

He nailed Mary right? That must make him either a man or a lesbian with the ability to make kids.

8. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Other old men with beards Gandalf, Obi One and Dumbledorf. If you want a character who looks wise and clever and generally smart-ass, you give em a beard.

9. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

We do not know what God or Jesus looked like. The one thing is for certain is the when God has taken human form, it is always in the masculine form.

10. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

That's inconsistent with what WhiteEagle22 posted.

There is indeed a striking resemblance in the depictions of Zeus and the Christian God.

I'm sorry, but you're mixing up several visions of God: the Christian God does not equal the Hebrew Unnamable One (as your own post clearly states) and depictions of God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus are obviously quite different.

11. Simple Simon

Simple Simon Simpleton

It's all logical: God is the father of his other self, Jesus, who has been dead for a long time. So God must be very old. Also, Jesus is the son of Mary, so the other partner must have been a male.

Oh, wait, did I just use logic for a religious issue? I must be in a delirium...... (runs off to the docs').

12. bigfatron

bigfatron Emperor

Actually the Abrahamaic God is very clearly male - He made man in His image, remember, and that was before He made Woman from one of Man's ribs...

The God of the Old Testament is very patriarchal and rather misogynistic, just what you might expect if a bunch of nomadic shepherds were trying to come up with an Almighty around the fire one night...

13. ExtraCrispy

ExtraCrispy Warlord

A Part of the UK Where Brits Behave Like Swedes
  14. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

That was the way that Renaissance artists depicted him, and we kept the depiction to this day.

15. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Looks like someone's a furry.

I'll get the torches.

16. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

17. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

18. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

God is a.. hermaphrodite?

'It'?

19. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

God can't be a she, or Jesus couldn't have had a Y chromosome. You get those from your dad.

20. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced