Depression: Rational or irrational?

And "little" doggie to boot!
I dunno, some guy your age who goes onto threads purely to take potshots at a stranger in his spare time and pretends to be a mind-reading psychologist seems like he needs help. I laugh at you because of the absurdity of someone getting so worked up over someone, somewhere being bothered by climate change. :lol:

Got you to lol twice, maybe your not that depressed after all!

Even on my new gigantic billboard of a monitor Underdog only shows up as about an inch tall, so "little doggie" seems appropriate enough.

Not a bad point, although minimizing a poster to their avatar is also dehumanizing :p

Hey, @Phrossack, hope you had a pleasant night's sleep. BTW, I'm not a mind reader, i just draw opinions based on my interpretation of what others say...
......etc, etc, then I know the thing I need to be happy is doomed due to the indifference, greed, and destructive nihilism of people.
.....unstoppable event that need not have happened but for the offenses of people who will be allowed to go unpunished.

...... one of the few things I truly care about. It's ending before its time because of people's failings....

......Fact is, things are truly dire and are getting worse due to the ceaseless work of people we're supposed to pretend are good, honest members of society--deforesters and deregulators above all.

While your reasons to be depressed may be very justified, valid and rational, the way you choose (not completely correct term, since mostly unconscious) to cope seemingly sucks....here's the kicker.....

I'm leery of academically philosophical texts. I'm more moved by Aldo Leopold and maybe Edward Abbey. But I've already settled on what gives, or would give, my life meaning: enjoying the wilderness, mastering skills, and using what abilities I have to leave the world a better place, or at least, no worse off. Among other things.

The depression may come from many things--it's always been a part of me, so I can't point to any one thing--but one thing keeping me from being happy or content is the knowledge that the things that give my life meaning are becoming impossible. Besides personal issues, the world's being taken down a very dark path, and while I could do a lot more, that wouldn't be enough. That's a different sort of constant dread than I might face if I knew there were something like a giant asteroid coming for us. That would be a blameless and unstoppable act of nature; no need to worry about things beyond control and without blame.

Please correct my interpretation if incorrect, but you seem to be saying that you would cope better if an asteroid was heading for earth, that is, something beyond everyone's control. But, you are more upset with something that is just beyond your control?

Last edited:
Recent research on the Younger Dryas - a period of Gulf Stream variability - suggests a 400 year lag between ocean current 'disruption' and atmospheric cooling, ie it takes time for cold meltwater entering the N Atlantic to change the climate. I think the research found at least 3 major cooling trends were preceded by conveyor belt disruptions.

It's just one example. Even in this case, we're operating on lag observed in the historical absence of human influence. If we accept human influence could impact the outcome unpredictably, it is somewhat dangerous to assume a 400 or even 100 year lag period. Even 100 is fast enough to be a huge expense to plan/adjust.

I still don't understand why you care if others think you are rational or irrational.

And by the way I thought we defined multiple times that phrossack is not discussing mental illness aspect of depression, for which I would never tell someone just snap out of it.

I am simply saying, you live in a free world at or close to the height of freedom and mobility, yet don't seem to be making any moves to improve the environmental factors that contribute to your despair.

To me it's akin to sleeping on a hard, cold floor and saying this sucks, why can't everyone see my back pain and how miserable I am sleeping on this floor? When the rational person would simply say, there's a warm bed in the next room, why not just sleep in there? And then you might respond yes, but worldwide the beds are disappearing! It's horrible how many people will have to sleep on cold, hard floors in our lifetime! To which the rational person would say, well yes, that is true and a horrible plight, but still, why are *you* sleeping on the floor when you have options? And while you're at it why not become a bed maker for others? Life's about the journey not necessarily the destination.

My impressions about this thread is that Phrossack wants people to confirm that his unhappiness is 'justified', that it's caused by objective external circumstances and nothing can be done about it.
But it's almost never the case. Unless you are terminally ill or have another very serious condition, if you are not satisfied with something in your life, you can change it or cope with it.
But it often requires leaving "zone of comfort", which is difficult and stressful.

Another impression is that the environmental problems are not the primary thing which is bothering you.

I understand where he's coming from, I get bummed by what we're doing to the planet. I just think technology will solve most of these problems and global warming is a good thing. I see a Star Trek future more than Soylent Green.

My impressions about this thread is that Phrossack wants people to confirm that his unhappiness is 'justified', that it's caused by objective external circumstances and nothing can be done about it.
But it's almost never the case. Unless you are terminally ill or have another very serious condition, if you are not satisfied with something in your life, you can change it or cope with it.
What happens if you can't?

Being and Nothingness for Sartre, and Man's Search for Meaning for Frankl. I think there is nuance in Sartre's thesis (nuance which, I felt, was lost in my classmates when we had to read it in my undergraduate's core coursework requirement), but his description of the despair of atheism/existentialism and, subsequently, the observation that this despair is actually a source of hope and liberation is quite explicitly what Phrossack is talking about. I dunno. Most of my classmates found it extremely depressing, but I found it very motivating/liberating/hopeful. The irony, to me at least, is that Frankl presents essentially the same argument in Man's Search for Meaning (seeking external motivation/permission for meaning will only result in despair; the discovery and pursuit of internal motivation is the only path to true self-worth) and that book was received far more enthusiastically by my classmates, with those same people who wrote off Sartre as depressing talking about how deeply inspirational Frankl was. Granted, saying "find something you love and do that," is far more rhetorically compelling when it's coming from a Holocaust survivor who is literally telling you the reason he didn't die in Auschwitz, rather than coming from an eminently French French Academic.

I feel you on the similarities of their arguments. For me both Camus and Sartre were a pretty huge relief when I read them (I was very young, like 17 at the time or smth), but I was never depressed so I wouldn't know how that woulda affected me. In general Sartre is one of the most misunderstoof academics/philosophers of our time, and, like Foucault, is too often put into that wacko-french-guy-who-wants-to-justify-diddling-teens box (his looks don't help). When in reality his message was incredibly clear, radical and very understandable, the complete opposite of what obscurantist french philosophers are portrayed as.

The one thing that really stuck with me from Frankl is ironically "man the **** up, at least you're not in auschwitz" even though that was hardly his message at all, lol. I have a bad habit of getting a completely unintentional message from books, then sticking with it. long live barthes.

Climate change likely will cause severe problems in the future, but not while anyone here is still alive.

I smashed that button

Well, I just saw a very relevant ad from our friends in the pharmaceutical industry. The gist was that they are well aware that they have convinced people that feeling like they have sunshine pouring down their back 24/7 is the definition of normal, and that more than half of the people that they have hooked on anti-depressants still aren't getting that feeling. So now they have a new additional drug, not to replace the anti-depressants but to take along with them. Ask you doctor for it today!

Well, I just saw a very relevant ad from our friends in the pharmaceutical industry. The gist was that they are well aware that they have convinced people that feeling like they have sunshine pouring down their back 24/7 is the definition of normal, and that more than half of the people that they have hooked on anti-depressants still aren't getting that feeling. So now they have a new additional drug, not to replace the anti-depressants but to take along with them. Ask you doctor for it today!

Does it involve opiates or is that something else?

/s

The hardest thing God asks us to do is to live in a world where he is absent. I forget where I heard that thought, which I have undoubtedly butchered trying to recollect and call back into words. I think it was a priest or minister on the radio. Maybe something that I remember better and is also not only rational but undeniable: Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory nonetheless.

On a totally tangential note that you certainly don't have to humor, but I was letting my fancy run free for myself, have you ever looked at the state's department of conservation?

Top Bottom