1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Depression: Rational or irrational?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Phrossack, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

I dunno, some guy your age who goes onto threads purely to take potshots at a stranger in his spare time and pretends to be a mind-reading psychologist seems like he needs help. I laugh at you because of the absurdity of someone getting so worked up over someone, somewhere being bothered by climate change. :lol:

2. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

Trump calls people dogs ;)

3. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

Got you to lol twice, maybe your not that depressed after all!

4. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

he just needs to walk outside and smell the coal dust covered roses

5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Even on my new gigantic billboard of a monitor Underdog only shows up as about an inch tall, so "little doggie" seems appropriate enough.

6. bernie14

Not a bad point, although minimizing a poster to their avatar is also dehumanizing :p

Kyriakos likes this.
  7. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Not always. For example i am an emperor in my avatar ^_^

bernie14 likes this.
  8. bernie14

Hey, @Phrossack, hope you had a pleasant night's sleep. BTW, I'm not a mind reader, i just draw opinions based on my interpretation of what others say...
    While your reasons to be depressed may be very justified, valid and rational, the way you choose (not completely correct term, since mostly unconscious) to cope seemingly sucks....here's the kicker.....

Please correct my interpretation if incorrect, but you seem to be saying that you would cope better if an asteroid was heading for earth, that is, something beyond everyone's control. But, you are more upset with something that is just beyond your control?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

It's just one example. Even in this case, we're operating on lag observed in the historical absence of human influence. If we accept human influence could impact the outcome unpredictably, it is somewhat dangerous to assume a 400 or even 100 year lag period. Even 100 is fast enough to be a huge expense to plan/adjust.

10. civvver

civvver Warlord

I still don't understand why you care if others think you are rational or irrational.

And by the way I thought we defined multiple times that phrossack is not discussing mental illness aspect of depression, for which I would never tell someone just snap out of it.

I am simply saying, you live in a free world at or close to the height of freedom and mobility, yet don't seem to be making any moves to improve the environmental factors that contribute to your despair.

To me it's akin to sleeping on a hard, cold floor and saying this sucks, why can't everyone see my back pain and how miserable I am sleeping on this floor? When the rational person would simply say, there's a warm bed in the next room, why not just sleep in there? And then you might respond yes, but worldwide the beds are disappearing! It's horrible how many people will have to sleep on cold, hard floors in our lifetime! To which the rational person would say, well yes, that is true and a horrible plight, but still, why are *you* sleeping on the floor when you have options? And while you're at it why not become a bed maker for others? Life's about the journey not necessarily the destination.

11. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

My impressions about this thread is that Phrossack wants people to confirm that his unhappiness is 'justified', that it's caused by objective external circumstances and nothing can be done about it.
    But it's almost never the case. Unless you are terminally ill or have another very serious condition, if you are not satisfied with something in your life, you can change it or cope with it.
    But it often requires leaving "zone of comfort", which is difficult and stressful.

Another impression is that the environmental problems are not the primary thing which is bothering you.

12. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

I understand where he's coming from, I get bummed by what we're doing to the planet. I just think technology will solve most of these problems and global warming is a good thing. I see a Star Trek future more than Soylent Green.

13. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

What happens if you can't?

14. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Your needs remain unfulfilled and this may cause different negative emotions, stress or depression.

15. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

I feel you on the similarities of their arguments. For me both Camus and Sartre were a pretty huge relief when I read them (I was very young, like 17 at the time or smth), but I was never depressed so I wouldn't know how that woulda affected me. In general Sartre is one of the most misunderstoof academics/philosophers of our time, and, like Foucault, is too often put into that wacko-french-guy-who-wants-to-justify-diddling-teens box (his looks don't help). When in reality his message was incredibly clear, radical and very understandable, the complete opposite of what obscurantist french philosophers are portrayed as.

The one thing that really stuck with me from Frankl is ironically "man the **** up, at least you're not in auschwitz" even though that was hardly his message at all, lol. I have a bad habit of getting a completely unintentional message from books, then sticking with it. long live barthes.

I smashed that button

16. Timsup2nothin

Well, I just saw a very relevant ad from our friends in the pharmaceutical industry. The gist was that they are well aware that they have convinced people that feeling like they have sunshine pouring down their back 24/7 is the definition of normal, and that more than half of the people that they have hooked on anti-depressants still aren't getting that feeling. So now they have a new additional drug, not to replace the anti-depressants but to take along with them. Ask you doctor for it today!

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

18. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Does it involve opiates or is that something else?

/s

19. Timsup2nothin

Those are for "pain." This is for "depression."

20. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

The hardest thing God asks us to do is to live in a world where he is absent. I forget where I heard that thought, which I have undoubtedly butchered trying to recollect and call back into words. I think it was a priest or minister on the radio. Maybe something that I remember better and is also not only rational but undeniable: Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory nonetheless.

On a totally tangential note that you certainly don't have to humor, but I was letting my fancy run free for myself, have you ever looked at the state's department of conservation?