desert folklore very powerful pantheon

Floodplains with loads of wheat tiles are already attractive enough to settle with or without desert folklore, they dont need boosting even further.

And as Arab I keep on losing it to someone else...Really, who else is desert oriented? Byzantium? Well, at least I got Petra :p.

I honestly think that desert folklore needs the same restriction as petra, that it shouldnt affect floodplains. Both also shouldnt affect oasis tiles.

Can Byzantine pick two Pantheon beliefs? If so imagine Sacred Waters + Desert Folklore :o

Yes they can, bonus belief is anything not chosen already. :D

No flood plains and no oasis far too big a nerf, flood plains maybe but oasis its not that common and one of the few tiles that you'd want to work. Desert hills and resources is not enough.

Will Petra be awesome in this city, or will Petra be awesome in this city?

Spoiler :

3 fish, 5 wheat, 1 salt, 1 sheep, normal continents map, normal resources, lolwut, I dont even get legendary starts this good!

I think it might be awesome in this city, not sure. :p

Could you guys please post your Turn 0 saves with some of those capital-in-the-middle-of-a-huge-desert starts? Sounds like a great Scenario to play =)

Best place to stick Petra is in the middle of a bunch of desert hills and oases. To get the best chance of this, have a Wet 3 Billion Year Old world.

My first playthrough as Arab, I got deserts all around me, with incenses abound. Trying to get desert folklore, failed, so I grabbed God of Festival then beelined to currency to grab Petra.

Now I hold half of the continent even though I lag in techs and Boudicca got the hot for me (she is a tsundere, for sure). I got my super spy for that (he never fails to grab techs...)

Here is a start I rolled as Theodora on the Europe map. How much better do they get than this? I am at 1000BC on this map and it is already sick sick sick.

Spoiler :

A spoiler though:
Spoiler :
Isabella is also wandering the sands, and you should focus on faith immediately if you want to be the one true crazy desert jesus queen. I had to restart.

Save:AutoSave_Initial_0000%20BC-4000.Civ5Save

Here it is at 650BC. It's those riverside desert hills that are just ruinous. 3F 3H 2G 1F and it's probably not hard to find a map where you can get 10 or more of them. I should have settled farther to the southwest to grab more, but even what I have is more than enough.

Spoiler :

Had one of those starts with Monty. Bunch of Floodplains, 3 desert Hills and 1 Wheat around an Oasis and a few other assorted Desert tiles. Beelined more or less straight for Petra, and got Desert Folklore. It's now 275AD, my capital is size 25 and has 9 Wonders in it plu most of the National ones, most of the time it was running on production focus. And I got 1700 gold spare so I'm just about to found my second city in which I'll buy a Granary and Floating Gardens and some other spare bits, and which I expect to hit size 10 within 30 turns.

The culture expansion gives low priority to desert tiles though, so I plowed a few hunderd gold into buying 1 food 3 production 1 gold 1 faith desert hills rather than waiting for it to pick 2 production plains hills first.

No flood plains and no oasis far too big a nerf, flood plains maybe but oasis its not that common and one of the few tiles that you'd want to work. Desert hills and resources is not enough.

No its not too big a nerf, it would make it equal to the tundra one. Just no flood plains at least is needed. Flood plains especially with wheat are very common and overpowered by desert folklore.

No its not too big a need, it would make it equal to the tundra one. Just no flood plains at least is needed. Flood plains especially with wheat are very common and overpowered by desert rites.

Well Islam was founded in the middle of the desert and proceeded to spread like crazy so there is precedent to that, isn't there?

I would rather see them buff the other beliefs than nerf the good ones.

I dont play Civ V for realism / role play, I play it for strategy. There are plenty of good beliefs, desert folklore isnt just good however, its simply crazy overpowered.

OK bhavv stop spreading misinformation please. You clearly have no idea on balance whatsoever. Just enjoy civ5 as the civ game that has tried to make it the most balanced so far.

Floodplains with loads of wheat tiles are already attractive enough to settle with or without desert folklore, they dont need boosting even further.

Floodplains do NOT get bonus from Petra, only desert folklore, so your screenshot on the city with lots of wheat + floodplain is NOT a good candidate for Petra.

Furthermore in civ5 floodplains are merely grassland yield wise, so I dont think you fully comprehended the statement you made saying: "Floodplains with loads of wheat tiles are already attractive enough" since that is the same as grassland with wheat, or grassland with cows/sheep (which are in fact better imo).

There is a difference though:

1) Cities with floodplains compared to grassland have the downside of having nearby desert tiles which are practically useless

2) Getting bonuses for desert such as folklore will be limited to that one city, if not max 2-3 under best circumstances. However bonuses to other tiles such as quarries are likely to apply to a much broader number of cities

3) Consider the production investment of bonuses such as Petra, consider the opportunity cost of it, if you'd built a stonehenge (which is much cheaper too) you would be getting a +5faith (equivalent to 5 desert tiles being worked), or perhaps a great library.

Maybe they'll patch Desert Folklore to not count on floodplains, and either not count or only count on resources in the desert.

I'd probably have one that was 3+ faith on desert tiles with nothing on them (no resources, no hills, no river), so those weak starts would have more of a chance to recover.

Floodplains do NOT get bonus from Petra, only desert folklore, so your screenshot on the city with lots of wheat + floodplain is NOT a good candidate for Petra.

There were plenty of non flood plain desert tiles too that I could see, including 2 wheats, 3 hills and an oasis.

You clearly have no idea on balance whatsoever.

I have far more of that than you do if you think that Desert Folklore isnt significantly stronger than the other pantheons.

3) Consider the production investment of bonuses such as Petra, consider the opportunity cost of it, if you'd built a stonehenge (which is much cheaper too) you would be getting a +5faith (equivalent to 5 desert tiles being worked), or perhaps a great library.

I like build all three and even more.

2) Getting bonuses for desert such as folklore will be limited to that one city, if not max 2-3 under best circumstances. However bonuses to other tiles such as quarries are likely to apply to a much broader number of cities

Completely disagree, flood plains are by far more plentiful on most maps than single types of resources are.

What about the balance without Petra? Faith only from non-floodplains might be an overnerf for cities without Petra. You'll want to work the floodplains and don't get the Faith.

Really it is the combo of Petra and Rites together, that is overpowered since Petra lets you work those raw desert tiles, and Rites piles the Faith on top.

Top Bottom