1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Desert map question

Discussion in 'Maps & Scenarios' started by Alfapiomega, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out if there is any way how to force C2C to generate a regular Arabia type desert map. Did anyone try this? Did you succeed?
    I fancy endless dunes on a huge map with few civilizations that would survive on the few flood plains available enjoying occasional oasis, long trade routes for the few precious resources available and battling the barbarians who are trying to invade the few useful tiles of land. Basically a survival, slow game set up on a continent with either no sea or several islands set up on a continent far away.
    The best I got was a map made by the world builder but even on extreme temperatures and incredibly low humidity it still generates a world full of trees with occasional patches of desert.
    I know I could create myself such map using the world builder but then I'd know what is happening where and that's not what I aim for. However at this point it seems that it's the only way. Or can you help/advise?

2. Redwallzyl

Redwallzyl Warlord

hi alfa. i assume this is for your LP? if no one figures anything out i could make one. i would need to know if what version you are using and what kinds of things you would want in it. and of course size.

if you wanted you could modify a generated map as well.

3. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

Hello!

Thank you for your quick reply :) Yes, it is for an LP but not this one of course. I am having a ton of fun so I want to see this one through and for a future one I would use such map so if you could make one it would be incredible! But as I get it this is not version compatible? So it would have to be for the version I would be using then? Because when the LP is over I will delete the game and download the latest version :)

4. Redwallzyl

Redwallzyl Warlord

are you using the SVN or version 36? it really only effects water tiles.

i could whip up a map fairly quickly but i would need to know the following things:

-map size i can do up to 400X400 tiles. what kind of space between things?
    -whether you want any water body's like lakes or oceans
    -terrain: do you want all desert or patches of greenery savannas? barren volcanic areas or something? mountain ranges?
    -resources: animals/plants only desert themed ones like camels and elephants or do you want cows and pigs to? exotic or normal crops? new or old world or mix?
    -some fantasy terrain or more realistic?
    -goody huts?

5. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

- The map should be really big. the bigger the better (the challenge will be less civs on larger area, not more) I imagine it as a huge central continent with ocean around it. Basically a Pangea but only one continent and no major archipelago.
    - Well there shouldn't be any major water bodies other than the occasional rivers with floodpalins and here and there a small oasis. The border of the ocean could have some forests as could the oasis but like 90% and more should be sandy desert (think Morroco, Egypt or Saudi Arabia)
    - as above the terrain almost exclusively desert with occasional oasis and the rivers with floodplains. Of course variety is possible but should keep with the theme so there can be a rocky desert in one area, large salt plains but no major jungle (apart from the coast maybe) or woods somewhere. Volcanoes and ashes seem great for this setup
    - Resources are tough ones. Definitely themed to desert but fairly scarce. Basically the part of what I am thinking is the idea of each area having something and lacking something/everything else. There could be salt civs, gold and jewel civs, some would have elephants and camels, horses elsewhere etc. Animals should not break the immersion so you can have parrots on the coast and maybe even pigs but definitely not in the middle of the desert. Same with crops and mixing them.
    - not sure what you mean by realistic terrain? Like I don't want mood or mars terrain but otherwise if it's not breaking immersion there can be interesting places.
    - sure but only along the rivers abd in Oasis

6. Redwallzyl

Redwallzyl Warlord

alright V1.0 is done. just a few questions before i give it to you to test. you might want to just look around awhile maybe play a hundred turns before you decide to start a lets play. also if you use the svn you can use toffers graphics pack. it includes nicer tiles and a sandstorm module that would fit the map.

-will you use the SVN? its the current development copy you can mind info on the main page.
    -do you want natural wonders?

here's a screenshot of the graphics pack:
    Spoiler :

don't worry i blocked out the mini map.

though if you want to see it i will put it here:
    Spoiler :

7. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

Damn, man! That is so cool and exactly like what I wanted!

Actually at this point I would like to use it under the current version. I can test it when I can't record (videos are processing, girlfriend is at home etc.) and report back what I found. Later on when I finish the current campaign and start a new one we can decide whether to go onto SVN (it was such a hassle to set up last time!) or whether to use it under the stable latest version at that time.

Does that sound good?

8. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

A question BTW: How did you distribute the resources? Part of this game should be basically player / AI having to spread their cities wide creating much more fragile empire (as it would in real desert) with pack around each Oasis. I like idea of long trade routes through the middle of nowhere...
    So I guess I am saying I hope you toned the resources down :)

EDIT: looking more at the map I am exstatic about the options. If you distributed the resources scarcely and appropriately we would have the "Central metal nations with lack of food and water and fruit but rich in ore and metal (and later oil) and "Southern sedentary nations rich in fish and food but lacking most resources (apart from Timber)".

Damn this will be so cool!

9. Redwallzyl

Redwallzyl Warlord

here it is. i will call this the beta and you can test it and see if any changes need to be done. its card to explain the distribution but i tried to alter it to your request. resources are generally but not completely in different areas and their are a few cool land forms and locations. try playing on a faster speed so you can get a good look at the resources and terrain. i had to zip it sense its a bit big just extract to the private maps folder. have fun.:)

it is possible you could start at an odd location like on an island or something. if that happens just restart.

Attached Files:

10. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

Thanks man, will report my findings from time to time :)

11. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

OK so - yesterday we arrived home late in the evening and while we talked with my girlfriend I fired up the game and gave it a go. I am playing as Arabia, Eternity (I wanted snail but I just can't, Eternity is the favorite and it's what I will play on during the LP). After some 131 turns I am here:

As you can see I am located somewhere on the shore. If I remember correctly it's on the upper part of the map, somewhere in Northeast. I fired up the Map Builder but only to confirm I am not on an island, then closed it immediately so I am not sure what kind of thing I am looking here at.
    What I know already:

- There are two tiles with Papyrus near at the edge of the river to the East (discovered by Gathering), there is a large bamboo field to the East and large forest to the West
    - The city is build on a Barley tile (same)
    - The production is awful, with the Alpha male and stick gatherer I am sitting at 4 hammers per turn and -5 food per turn. However the money is great and I took the scientist trait (more on this below) so that's another +1 and +10%. Community discussion will kick in soon as well so that could remove the penalty and eventually start giving a slight boost. I am one tech away from Oral tradition so I'll be able to easily tech up afterwards while I'll focus on some culture buildings to get the forests in the zone of usable tiles to boost myself.
    - I followed the river through the desert and found out that the closest Civ is a barbarian lowered at a small Oasis

The feeling so far:
    - I really like the setup. I am playing with 12 civs and barbarian world, raging barbs and frankly some settings I was afraid of for the LP can be tested now safely (no starting traits, gaining traits as you level up your culture, increasing difficulty (started on Monarch I think so now it should be on Immortal quickly going to Deity), advanced this and that ...)

What I am iffy about:
    - The map seems actually really barren which is good but I think that it might be a bit too barren. I wanted a desert, sure, but there for example seems to be nothing between me and the barbs. So if I wanted to create a trade route there is no way to follow through to them. The river tiles are just that - river in the desert, I haven't seen a single Oasis or anything, however that might be just the location I am in. I want to wait a few more turns or get to the ancient times to see how we expand

Possible fixes now:
    - The rives can hardly run through desert like this. There should be floodplains or barren land around them with possible little forestation. The scale of the desert is OK but the Rivers should allow for "noodle like" expansion along them even if the settlements will be really limited and work just as trade posts basically
    - The desert is magnificent and I like the scale - it is exactly what I wanted. It might even be possible to maybe remove some of the rivers (but I have no idea how many there are) in light of random "lake Oasis". I like how the barbs seem to be at that river Oasis below so something like that, even greatly smaller, in the middle of the desert. Spawning there would basically limit you to one city but enough lumber and green tiles to accommodate rapid growth. There could be some wheat or other resources too to boost this up

I am not sure how much sense I am making here. I guess as I play along I could speak a bit more clearly about it and propose some changes directly but if you want you can start incorporating this or posting screens and we can discuss it here while I continue onward and come up with more ideas :)

12. Redwallzyl

Redwallzyl Warlord

alright sounds like you want:
    -improved river banks
    -some larger oasis's
    -oasis chains between areas

i can so that easily. :)

13. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

Hey man!

Yes, improved. You can of course keep the banks mostly desert like but not always, there should be something around the river even in the desert :)
    Regarding Oasis's - not really, I want some. There should be one or a few around, not really :)
    Oasis chains? Not sure what you mean by that :)

14. Redwallzyl

Redwallzyl Warlord

their are quite a few oasis i scatted around. probably not in line of sight from the river though.

15. Redwallzyl

Redwallzyl Warlord

alright here's an updated version. make sure to install the latest patch that just came out.

Attached Files:

16. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

Hey man, I finally had a bit of time to download it. If I install the patch will it break the save compatibility of the old games?

17. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

Wait... to make sure I understand, do you mean the crime patch? Or which one? I don't want to do anything that would break the current running LP because it's far from being finished.

18. Redwallzyl

Redwallzyl Warlord

in the crime patch thread theirs a link to the latest patch. i don't think it would break saves but i don't know. better safe then sorry. i keep a backup version that i can easily copy and replace.

and i would really recommend using this:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=553482
    it looks a lot better and their are some weird purple texture glitches with the water that seem to be happening with deep coast. i can change up the map i tiny bit if you want to avoid it but otherwise its better using it.

if you want me to make a version with default water i can do it in seconds. in fact i just did it. its included if you want to use it. this one should work on any version.

anyway here you go:

19. Alfapiomega

Alfapiomega Chieftain

Thanks, man.

To be honest I tend to be extremely paranoid. I had more than one instance of unrecoverable save file so I'd prefer to not update anything right now. Once this LP is done the entire game will be removed and we can update it and patch it to the latest, coolest version - or to the SVN :)
    I will check this map out and post comments when I get some idea about what you changed, OK? :)

20. Redwallzyl

Redwallzyl Warlord

okay. just let me know what to change and i can do it. its really no problem. in fact i enjoy working on maps. main changes were some resources and flood plains.