Desert War for BtS

Dale

Mohawk Games Developer
Hi all, I roughly converted Desert War to BtS.

If anyone remembers, this was one of the original 4 mods to ship with Civ4 vanilla. :) Desert War is all about the war in North Africa during World War II.

Anyways, I've done a raw convert of the mod to BtS, and it loads and I've played a few turns. However, I need people to test the mod before I call it finished.

I'm not looking for new ideas or such, all I'm looking for is where the mod doesn't work (due to conversion). I can guarentee there will be problems with the python.

For testing purposes, if you can either turn python debugging on and take screenshots of the python msgs, or upload a zip file of your BtS logs folder C:\Documents & Settings\You\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs\ so I can debug (screenshots MUCH prefered thanks :D).

Please post here any bugs found. :)

File: http://rtw.apolyton.net/files/DesertWarBtS.zip

Install: Unzip to Beyond the Sword Mods folder.

Original Desert War for Civ4 vanilla made by: Locutus, Isak, Dale.

the reason I liked this MOD was that the AI seemed pretty aggresive

Weird I attempt the conversion, well by comparison with original files and similar bts files, anyway, I evaluate the work to one or two weeks! :D I hope my boss will never see this post!!! :lol:

Thanks a lot for the job, tomorrow I'll see how it works with BTS AI. I recently played it with Complete edition and in deity mode I had a lot of pain to progress with Germany!

Good good, though some suggestions for British GGenerals at least. :p

Field Marshal Forbes. Who on earth is this?
General Cunningham. Good.
General Dowding. Do not believe he ever was in the Desert, or even Gibraltar.
General Wavell. Good.
General Giffard. Again, who is this?
General O'Connor. Good.
General Neame, suitable.
General Gort. Never fought in the Desert, retired after the Battle of France I believe.
General Ironside. Very Senior officer, his field days were over and he was close to Churchill I believe.
General Tedder. Proper.
Major General Baird. Not sure, was he ever in the desert?
Major General Bond. Same.
Major General Carrington. Ditto.
Major General Dill. He was busy in the Battle of France, afterwards he got sent to the US as a liason, where he died mid war.
Major General Halifax. As in Lord Halifax the politician?
Major General Horton. He was in the Med? Not sure the admiralty could spare him..
Major General Portal. Not sure he would have went over.
Major General Stuart. Who?

I would suggest:

Lumsden
Leese
Horrocks
Gott
Auchinleck
Messervy
Morsehead
Alexander.

AWESOME

OK just started and first thing i notice is the scores

I hope when the final release comes out, DCM will be with it already like the RtW has it.

I'm so glad you did this, it was my favorite mod that came with vanilla :D

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 568
The scores are do to the fact that your score is the number of those cities you have. I think Dale should make that a new victory instead of relying on the score victory and change score back to the real version (the vanilla version had a way to fudge the numbers, which I guess doesn't work right now).

Some python i got, include SS and auto save before

Attachments

• Sans titre.JPG
    Sans titre.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 296
  • AutoSave_AD-1941-March-Week 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    86.5 KB · Views: 85
This always happen whenever I capture a city !

Attachments

• Sans titre.JPG
    Sans titre.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 189
I just noticed that tank units doesnt level up as well as the machine guns. Is it normal ?
I attach a pic, you can see the kills of the tank and there is no promotions options.

Attachments

• Sans titre.JPG
    Sans titre.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 559
  • NVE00001.jpg
    NVE00001.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 212
Its the first one from a new games with the latest update 11/6/2008.

Attachments

• 1st.JPG
    1st.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 139
I just remember that Rommel didnt appears anymore with his panzer like in the vanilla and the tank still dont level up but its fine since i use them as kamikaze.

Attachments

• 2nd.JPG
    2nd.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 238
I took the liberty to update CIV4PromotionInfos.xml for the armors promotions. Its now working fine and I made it accordingly to the original scenario.

copy the file to Beyond the Sword\Mods\Desert War BtS\Assets\XML\Units

Attachments

• CIV4PromotionInfos.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 98
Top Bottom