Design Ideas to Make the Game Less Boring After Medieval Era

MarigoldRan

WARLORD
The problem with ALL of the Civ games is the game gets boring. By the time the Medieval era rolls around, either:

1. You've won the game and the rest is just mop up.
2. Or you're stuck in such an awful position that continuing is an exercise in masochism.

So what ideas should the designers adopt to get around this "boredom" trap, especially the first scenario? Should the developers focus primarily on the AI, or are there ways to make the game more interesting DESPITE cruddy AI?

Post your ideas here.

The easiest solution is to add in a "Special Difficulty Mode" where if you conquer a certain percentage of the world, or get close to a non-culture victory, everyone declares war on you. Then script the AI to get better at war and beeline nukes, and the game should be a lot more interesting.

Last edited:
The problem is that the AI can't effectively achieve the VCs. Has anyone ever seen the AI complete the spaceship? On what turn do they finish? If the AI were capable of running away and launching on turn 200 (off the top of my head) we'd have to be a lot more careful. That might result in some exciting end-games. The problem is that once you're secure militarily the AI is pretty much toothless.

The easiest solution is to add in a "Special Difficulty Mode" where if you conquer a certain percentage of the world, or get close to a non-culture victory, everyone declares war on you.
Ugh, really dislike ideas like this where the AI changes behaviour based on how close you are to winning.

Industrial revolution should be a massive change to the game as it was a massive change to society. The price of goods plummeted as the time-labor cost was greatly reduced and swelled the 'middle class' which before that was pretty much a small sections of society made up of merchants, skilled craftsman, and free farmers into the biggest section of society.

IMO Civ V was still interesting by Medieval, but stopped being interesting in Industrial/Modern Era (when the too-powerful Artillery/Airplanes come into play). I think the solution has to do with warfare - happiness, gold and science all restricted war in Civ 5, but only happiness (which isn't even that important) discourages war in Civ 6.

United Nations prob gets released next expanssion , so thats one.

Other I would add is...improved AI for late game, so they gang up on civs that are leading to make sure they have hard time to win , or add something like world war scenario , where few massive sides of allies goes at eachother , and if one side loses war all of they civs who were in they're side gets massive loses , like -25% to production , food etc. also lose people from cities , well its same idea as emergencies , its just would be like one side with 3-5 civs in it vs other of 3-5 civs.
Oh and joining that 3-5 civ comporation or side , would give you good benefits , rather then skip it.

I would say an automatic switch that gets turned when you are so far in front is maybe not ideal.
I could live with a "jealous" diplomacy score. Where the score become more negative the further in front you get. This leads to a more, I think, realistic and gradual slide to aggression. It's also more likely to imitate real world where powers don't like someone to be too far ahead of the pack so to speak.

I think this should only be one facet of a late game rework. On its own, I think this kind of AI behaviour maybe too weak so late in the race.

I totally agree, I wish the other civs would gang up on me, if I lead, to stop it being a slow walk to victory. Likewise join me in preventing a runaway Civ.
I usually stop playing any Civ game, 1 - 6, if there is not a slight chance of victory or defeat. Civ 5 and 6 give you more to do but as in any civ game once the map is full the pleasure subsides. Especially as I am not an all out war person the tension just subsides in the latter game eras.

We have a lot of room to expand, such as the UN; colonization and decolonization; international alliances (NATO, ASEAN, Warsaw Pact, etc.); world wars, ideological wars (like the Cold War); more diplomatic choices,... There are a lot of ideas, but the important thing is whether Firaxis will implement it or not.

Last edited:
Would love to see Civ 6 include environmental factors

For instance, civilisations that focus solely on production could be struck with excessive pollution that could, in-turn effect population growth. furthermore, you could even introduce a global warming feature that would see sea levels rise and natural disasters occur.

for instance, rather than mining for coal, explore renewable energy. obviously coal will have a greater short term effect but in the long run it could be your demise

Top Bottom