1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Designated Players Guild aka Gamers Academy

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by Seidrik_The_Gray, May 1, 2008.

1. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

Current members:
    Daveshack
    Ravensfire
    Joe Harker

What this is about:
    Spoiler :

This guild is for those who have the time and interest in being designated players. I for one may not have the time to actually play during turn chats and there may be others as well, who may not be able to find someone willing and able in their factions to support a faster pace of play, however, a faster pace would seem to be what is being requested.

Sign up here stating your availability to be a DP (designated player) (days, hours).

There is a very good idea being discussed concerning possibly moving to two play sessions a week to keep things moving and exciting for the community. Factions would give you instructions for the turn, and you would play the turn in the turn chat for said faction should no one be able to. In this way, we can maintain our schedule.

2. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I'm available roughly 2200-2400 GMT-7 (0500-0700 GMT) daily.

Long sessions at most once a week are a big turn off for me, both roleplay and gameplay. I don't like playing so many turns either when I'm the DP, though I have been known to press long in the early game when nothing happens for 10 turns.

I would like to see short 2-3 turn sessions every 2 days or so, or longer up to 5 or more turns (still every 2 days) if nothing happens. This would be especially good for war turns, as the citizens would get to see results battle by battle.

3. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Really starting to like this idea! Having "standing orders" to cover areas, plus regular updates of instructions. Should result in more involvement and more activity - just takes planning.

-- Ravensfire

4. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

I can play between the hours of 2 till 7 BST (3-8 GMT) on weekends, 4-8 BST (5-8 GMT) on weekdays.

I like that idea DS, i am finding myself really bored before turnchats at the moment.

5. Seidrik_The_Gray

I am happy to see such a robust response already. Hopefully, this guild will help keep things moving on the turnsession frequency front.

6. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

I like the shorter TC idea. During the last session for example, I played ~20 turns. It's almost impossible to get good instructions for such a timespan. Shorter TCs are easier to plan, play and roleplay.

Also signing up as a Designated Player :)

7. Seidrik_The_Gray

Thanks dutch! I like going 5 turns myself, but twice a week. This has allot to do with why I'm asking for designated players to facilitate this thought becoming reality.

8. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I am resurrecting this Guild. The Chain of command is:
    King
    Regent
    High Marshal (in times of war if the King opts out)
    High Steward (Turn chat immediately following all cease fires if the King opts out.)
    DP Guild members.

9. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

Yes, others can do the next 2 turnchats, as I think a war in 20 turns is the most likely, now that we may want Babylon to complete Versailles in Mari.

10. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I would also like to adopt the 2-3 turns per TC during wartime. I ask that it be brought before the assembly for consideration.

11. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

2-3 is a bit little, but I can go for 5 turns, so we got a more scaleable model.

12. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I will run an opinion poll on the matter after a discussion in the Assembly.

13. thecommonnate

thecommonnate Theocrat

Lower amounts of turns per TCs would increase the effectiveness of a government, ability of DGs to micromanage, allow the RPG more time in each era of time. To tell the truth, lowering the amount of turns played per TC is a great idea, but only if managed right.

The two main drawbacks of lessened turns would be a bigger chance of things becoming dormant, and an increased workload for micromanaging positions.

I don't believe these possible side effects will turn into problems, though, as the CoA and you, Your Highness, have proved quite effective at managing the empire. I am supporting 2-3 turn TCs.

14. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Where is the High Minister?

15. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Unfortunately the High Minister doesn't have an assigned gameplay scenario like war-time or post-war as the other Ministers do. This does not mean you are not a DP or cannot sign-up for the DPG.