1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Desktop or laptop?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hygro, Mar 8, 2019.

?

What is your primary computer?

1. Desktop

73.5%
  2. Laptop

26.5%
  1. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I've had my laptop almost 10 years now. It's definitely a part of me. Like, physically. It's a heat source on my body.

I've been thinking of going back to a desktop for my next one. Having a portable computer is awesome, but I feel I would be healthier, physically, to have my computer be a station rather than an appendage.

What are you using, and what are your thoughts?

Left out other options like phones/tablets because.... no.

2. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

I use a desktop, but I'm part of the dinosaur faction that thinks Facebook is a passing fad.

Laptops are fun as toys of course.
    Just not as powerful as a good desktop.

I see people all the time with their laptop plugged into the wall almost permanently.
    They are desktop-in-denial at that point.

Laptop Li-Io batteries degrade 10% a year (even on a shelf) and people just won't replace them bi-annually like they should.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  3. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

I used only laptops for at least 10 years and went back to desktop a couple years ago and it's like infiniely better in every way

4. ulyssesSgrant

ulyssesSgrant Warlord

Desktops are fun because you get to build them if you want to and because you get a lot more computational and graphical processing power in addition to randomly accessible memory and informational storage capacity in exchange for the amount of federal reserve notes you provide. Nomz?

caketastydelish likes this.
  5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I had laptops for many years because I was poor, I bought a desktop as soon as I could afford it.

caketastydelish likes this.
  6. civvver

civvver Deity

That makes no sense, desktops are cheaper from a price/performance ratio, than laptops.

I have a desktop at home for gaming, that's pretty much all I use it for. Surfing the web at home too I guess, paying bills, taxes. But I mainly do my surfing at work and work is on a laptop though it's usually in a docking station so ergonomically it might as well be a desktop.

If all you want to do is surf the web, keep on on stuff, basically everything you'd use a phone for but can't stand a phone or tablet, plus some light gaming like not graphically demanding games like civ4 or older games or whatever then just get a laptop. At home plug it into a monitor. Then it's portable, better deal.

If you want to primarily game desktop pc performance is usually 20-50% cheaper than laptop performance and has a much higher ceiling.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  7. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

True, I was unclear there, what I meant is that I was too poor to afford a good/powerful computer at all, and so given I wasn't going to have one laptops suited me better because of their portability.
    Now I actually have my own apartment and disposable income to buy a powerful computer, so...desktop.

hobbsyoyo and rah like this.
  8. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Ditto, my desktop at home is stuffed with 'GOOD' stuff. ;)
    I bought a really good laptop for travelling but it usually sits idle at home since it still can't hold a candle to my desktop.

I'm one of the few people at work that don't have a laptop. I grind too much data to have a laptop.
    Some may laugh at me when I'm the only one in a meeting that doesn't have their laptop with them, but I think I'm getting the last laugh.

9. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

My laptop is plugged into a dock with mouse/keyboard/DAC/speakers/monitor the vast majority of the time, but I don't see myself as in denial of anything... sometimes I do need my laptop out of the house.

I also have a desktop plugged into my tv that does double duties as a home server and HTPC.

Will probably soon buy a Chromebook for use when I don't want to be tethered to desk but am able to accomplish without a full OS and the hassle of undocking my laptop. Will also use for international travel. (I bring regular laptop for in-country travel, but don't cross borders with any data.)

10. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

In a folder labeled "taxes"

cardgame likes this.
  11. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Heh. That's my coworker. He just burned out one of those black-rated HDDs from crunching a dataset with about a million and a half entries and 124 columns.

12. civvver

civvver Deity

Hey I have 7 years of actual turbo tax files in mine! Minus the one year I switched to hrblock version and regretted it.

13. rah

rah Deity Supporter

One of those rare times that I can point and say "TINY" :lol: :lol:

14. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

I'm a gamer. A VERY heavy gamer. I guess it answers the question of which kind of main computer I use.

My laptop is for surfing/watching videos when I'm in the bed or in my garden chair.

15. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

I've exclusively used a laptop for 7 years now.

I prefer desktops, but it's just impossible to make work. My "desk" is a hospital tray and there's about four inches of room behind my chair before I hit the wall. In front of my desk I have two inches of clearance before it's in the way of the door. I can fit a laptop and a mouse on my tray (which dangerously sways all day every day because it's not meant for this kind of use) and that's about it.

In the future I'd like to have a decent laptop for when I'm staying elsewhere, a small laptop for writing, and a desktop for my primary device and for gaming. But that's years out. For now I'm "slumming" it with a $1000 laptop.

16. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Desktop by a wide margin. Laptop has convenience for travel or for specific out-of-office tasks at work, but I hate travel and avoid it when possible.

For gaming, which I do a lot, desktops are so much better at such a lower price point that it's an obvious choice.

17. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Other upside of laptops - easy to go fanless.

I'm done with fans, and a good fanless desktop case adds considerable complexity and price (which I'll be paying on my next+1 htpc/server rebuild once I can get my HDDs moved to external Thunderbolt enclosures on an AMD platform): https://streacom.com/products/db4-fanless-chassis/

Sounds like your coworker needs more RAM.

Hey, don't underestimate the ability of people to make things perform miserably.

I'd don't normally interact with the reporting platform at my job, but recently had to - was annoyed enough at the poor performance that I spent a couple days on optimizations, and sped everything up by ~20x.

18. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Not true, mine only degraded 2% per year :)

Been a desktopper for nearly 4 years now, with my own custom build. It's a great way to maximize return on the dollar spent, but it's also a great way to end up spending too much.

19. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Whoa, they might have improved batteries and battery management circuits in recent years. :goodjob:

My personal experience only went up to 2014 or so.
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/te...-gadgets-batteries-degrade-over-time-6705747/
    https://www.businessinsider.com/smartphone-batteries-are-only-meant-to-last-a-year-2015-10

20. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Smartphone batteries are usually cheap crap because the phone itself will be obsolete in a year. My experience is specifically with a 2011 model MacBook Pro with less than 1,000 charge cycles (through 2018 - that's six years of ownership) reducing its total capacity to 88% of stock.

Measured via coconut battery, which I've only ever heard good things about.