Desktop or laptop?

What is your primary computer?

• Total voters
Big corporate strikes again. You should support your local head shop.
Speaking of which... legal here now... the sky did not fall and the Zombie Apocalypse has not materialized... I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. I expected something more than the humdrum nothingburger legalization turned out to be. Its literally like nothing happened at all.

Speaking of which... legal here now... the sky did not fall and the Zombie Apocalypse has not materialized... I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. I expected something more than the humdrum nothingburger legalization turned out to be. Its literally like nothing happened at all.

These things take time...

These things take time...

Yeah, zombies don't just appear overnight.

There's definitely chaos in the industry in California, but it isn't nearly as bad as it could have been. Lessons learned in Colorado have helped quite a bit.

Yeah, zombies don't just appear overnight.

There's definitely chaos in the industry in California, but it isn't nearly as bad as it could have been. Lessons learned in Colorado have helped quite a bit.
There is an awful lot of municipal-level mismanagement here unfortunately; enough to impact the broader market. The black market hasn't been eradicated either due to high taxes and base prices caused by artificial scarcity which in turn is caused by the municipal-level mismanagement.

There is an awful lot of municipal-level mismanagement here unfortunately; enough to impact the broader market. The black market hasn't been eradicated either due to high taxes and base prices caused by artificial scarcity which in turn is caused by the municipal-level mismanagement.
Yeah, that's the chaos in the industry I was talking about. It's also going to get worse before it gets better.

Grey market growing has always been mobile for multiple reasons, with law enforcement being only one of them. Sure, trying to keep a grow in the same place for a decade would undoubtedly show up on radar eventually and get busted, but the big thing is that a hydroponic grow medium that can force massive grow rates in a controlled environment has to be in a totally controlled environment because everything wants to grow in it. So no matter how careful about sterilization you are, after some number of crops you are facing so much fungus that it's easier to tear it down and relocate fresh.

Of course, tear down and relocate fresh doesn't work when you've invested gigantic stupid money into licensing and inspections to build the legal grow in the first place. So there is currently a whole lot of "Yeah, We've got years of experience and we built this great grow! We've gotten five crops at X million per crop out of it in just a year! <documented since we're all legal and everything> We will sell it to you for just five X million dollars, lock stock and barrel!" So you get these startups selling pot stocks to raise the capital thinking they are going to make their investment back in a year and just be rolling in the loot and they don't know that they are maybe one crop away from a fungus farm, and the licensing authorities haven't really sorted out how they are going to handle inspections on rebuilds, and no one in the industry is really sure that a place that has been used can actually be sterilized enough to reuse, and the start up company doesn't have clue one how it was built in the first place so for them to rebuild it is...challenging. There's gonna be a whole lotta people losing their ass over the next few years.

This is why the Kardashians rule.

I don't know if I'm more into multitasking than people here or if I'm just into a different kind of multitasking.

What I mean is that my typical use case for computing is to be gossiping here or playing a game while I half watch something on TV or hold a conversation with my wife. Being chained to a desk really makes that difficult. Do other people focus on one thing at a time or do you also multitask but in different ways?
Your kind of multitasking seems perfectly normal to me (except I hold conversations with the cat, rather than a spouse). And I've got multiple forums I visit, plus various fanfiction authors I try to keep up with, as well as working my way through a slew of YT videos I'd planned to watch.

One of the game series I'm playing involves building castles, so when I find one I like, I incorporate it into my Kingmaker story as one of the possible locations where some in-story event happens or a particular group of characters lives or works (I have servant and merchant characters, as well as the nobility).

For all practical purposes, my computer is my TV. Out TV is at the other end of the house surrounded by knitting projects.
Your TV must be very dedicated. What kinds of projects does it knit?

My TV is lazy. It just sits around, gathering dust when I haven't used it for awhile. At least my shows get recorded.

Most of you are using desktops. I hardly know anyone IRL who uses a desktop. I also know hardly anyone IRL who posts on forums as a main activity. Interesting.

Well I answered desktop on the pool but it depends on the context. I use a laptop at work and am working more than I am playing games or doing stuff on the pc at home. So is my primary pc really a desktop? Time wise it's not, but I still think of myself as a desktop guy since I'd never game on a laptop. I probably spend ~30 hours a week on my work laptop (I work around 40-45 office hours but obviously there's meetings and breaks and stuff), and probably around 12-15 on my desktop.

I didn't expect to see the higher desktop ration either but considering this is a gaming site, I shouldn't have been that surprised.

Yeah, that's the chaos in the industry I was talking about. It's also going to get worse before it gets better.

Grey market growing has always been mobile for multiple reasons, with law enforcement being only one of them. Sure, trying to keep a grow in the same place for a decade would undoubtedly show up on radar eventually and get busted, but the big thing is that a hydroponic grow medium that can force massive grow rates in a controlled environment has to be in a totally controlled environment because everything wants to grow in it. So no matter how careful about sterilization you are, after some number of crops you are facing so much fungus that it's easier to tear it down and relocate fresh.

Of course, tear down and relocate fresh doesn't work when you've invested gigantic stupid money into licensing and inspections to build the legal grow in the first place. So there is currently a whole lot of "Yeah, We've got years of experience and we built this great grow! We've gotten five crops at X million per crop out of it in just a year! <documented since we're all legal and everything> We will sell it to you for just five X million dollars, lock stock and barrel!" So you get these startups selling pot stocks to raise the capital thinking they are going to make their investment back in a year and just be rolling in the loot and they don't know that they are maybe one crop away from a fungus farm, and the licensing authorities haven't really sorted out how they are going to handle inspections on rebuilds, and no one in the industry is really sure that a place that has been used can actually be sterilized enough to reuse, and the start up company doesn't have clue one how it was built in the first place so for them to rebuild it is...challenging. There's gonna be a whole lotta people losing their ass over the next few years.
This all sounds like a strong argument in favor of outdoor grows. It's hard to beat free sunshine and water...and if you have less wipeouts due to fungus, then you can outperform higher yielding but wildly inconsistent indoor operations.

This all sounds like a strong argument in favor of outdoor grows. It's hard to beat free sunshine and water...and if you have less wipeouts due to fungus, then you can outperform higher yielding but wildly inconsistent indoor operations.

Actually, the biggest attraction of indoor grows is consistency. People producing top end pot are growing plants that are the result of decades long efforts at genetic manipulation through selective breeding. There has been nothing included in that program that makes for the kind of hardier plant that would result from a natural selection process. So the "wild" genome, if introduced, will very rapidly be selected for and leave you with a crop of what we in the 1980s called "good pot" and what current users would call "suitable for nothing but making rope." In an outdoor environment keeping that wild genome out is...challenging. At the same time, since all efforts have been aimed at increasing effectiveness rather than hardiness these plants are far more susceptible to vagaries of weather.

More basically, pot comes from cloned female plants. It's a whole lot easier to be sure there are no male plants in the building than it is to be sure there are no male plants anywhere upwind.

Actually, the biggest attraction of indoor grows is consistency. People producing top end pot are growing plants that are the result of decades long efforts at genetic manipulation through selective breeding. There has been nothing included in that program that makes for the kind of hardier plant that would result from a natural selection process. So the "wild" genome, if introduced, will very rapidly be selected for and leave you with a crop of what we in the 1980s called "good pot" and what current users would call "suitable for nothing but making rope." In an outdoor environment keeping that wild genome out is...challenging. At the same time, since all efforts have been aimed at increasing effectiveness rather than hardiness these plants are far more susceptible to vagaries of weather.

More basically, pot comes from cloned female plants. It's a whole lot easier to be sure there are no male plants in the building than it is to be sure there are no male plants anywhere upwind.
Don't many plants start in nurseries and then moved outdoors?

I do get it that it's harder to keep plant strains pure outdoors which is part of why Germany and other countries are so militant against GMO corn, etc. But I have to feel that the problems with outdoor harvests are solvable with technology (which here I take to mean farming practices in addition to breeding techniques). Farmers of this crop haven't done as much work on outdoor growing techniques because of how hard it is to do on a large scale. I know there are lots of grows out in national parks but you spend so much time trying to conceal the effort that it subtracts from their ability to innovate on the product side.

In any case, there is a great deal of concern about monocultures in the rest of agriculture precisely because farmers can get really consistent crops so I don't see it as a fundamental issue.

Steam Link actually works really well. I mostly play games on my fanless laptop, streamed from my htpc.
Does it? Didn't they stop selling it though?

That would be a good reason to build a new desktop. I want to be able to play new games and I hate how even the best laptops become out of date on that specific front in a couple of years.

You can really crank production if you remove nature from nature, but that's a helluva lot of inputs. Way more efficient to do it outdoors, but it might be value dense enough to stay indoors for the time being. Pollen control is just part of managing the plant. Not that hard to do because it's not going to have to be perfect. You get your seed strains/clones from high labor input/control environments. You then move your production strains to consume less resources in production. Physical separation from male plants/little wax bags over flowers, I don't know enough about pot specifically, but there is going to be a way. It'll matter less on absolute purity, I think, because only fossils are going to be smoking pot like savages in 10 years. Everything else will be a composition of extracts. Welcome to big ag, stoner bros.

Don't many plants start in nurseries and then moved outdoors?

I do get it that it's harder to keep plant strains pure outdoors which is part of why Germany and other countries are so militant against GMO corn, etc. But I have to feel that the problems with outdoor harvests are solvable with technology (which here I take to mean farming practices in addition to breeding techniques). Farmers of this crop haven't done as much work on outdoor growing techniques because of how hard it is to do on a large scale. I know there are lots of grows out in national parks but you spend so much time trying to conceal the effort that it subtracts from their ability to innovate on the product side.

In any case, there is a great deal of concern about monocultures in the rest of agriculture precisely because farmers can get really consistent crops so I don't see it as a fundamental issue.

Yeah, outdoor grows are the same cloned plants started indoors. The difference between producing pot and producing other agriculture that makes "cloned female plants" significant is that to produce fruit, or grain, or whatever, you need fertilized female plants. You are dependent not only on male plants, but on whatever fertilization method the plant relies on, be that wind or insects or whatever. Pot is produced by desperate virgin plants, not fertilized plants. One male plant upwind can destroy a crop.

Top Bottom