1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Despite 2nd Amendment Cases, Firearms Codes Are Moving Targets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JollyRoger, Dec 8, 2010.

1. taper

taper Meet Tux

The US National Guard is *not* a militia. They are officially part of the US military, follow the same chain of command straight up to the President, receive substantial training and all their equipment from the government(much of it federal money), are not allowed to take their arms home, and are subject to extended deployment in foreign countries. The 2nd Amendment was ratified in 1791, the US National Guard did not exist until 1903.

22 states have State Defense Forces, which are legally recognized as militias and exclusively serve their state. They can not be called up by the federal gov't. Title 10 of the US Code also explicitly states that all able-bodied male citizens between 17-45 are part of the militia, whether they're in the National Guard or not.

2. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

Never heard of state defense forces.

3. taper

taper Meet Tux

4. Theige

Theige American Baron

Yes, that is what I was getting at ;)

I knew a few states had militias or "defense forces," I didn't know 22 supposedly have them. But in the grand scheme of things they are largely irrelevant.

5. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

I never said they don't exist, I just said that I never heard of them. What do you think I looked up right after that post? :p