Destroying a Civilization Bonus!

brento1138

O' Mighty CivII Warrior
When we conquer a civilization, why don't we get something for it? What's the point of taking out that last, small crappy city? The civ merely congratulates you on your victory after you take out their last city.

Instead, how about a screen pops up that gives you a list of options of what to do with their captured leader:

1) Execute captured leader! "Off with their heads!" --> gives your civilization a 5 turn golden age
2) Force a "war-crimes" trial --> the computer will calculate how many of your units died at the hands of the captured leader's army and how many of their units died at your hands. when the leader is found guilty, an amount of gold will be rewarded based on how many of your units died in comparison to theirs.. the more units of yours that died, the more gold you get
3) Exile leader outside of the country --> Forces peace with the civilization you exile the leader to
4) Provide safe home for leader --> Eliminates 50% of the extra anger caused by taking over the cities, the reason being citizens say "You gave mercy to our leader"

This wouldn't seem a very realistic way of adding a bonus for completing a conquest of a civilization. Why should execution of the other leader give you a golden age but no diplomatic penalty? In a war crimes trial, where does this gold that is rewarded come from? Why would exiling the leader to another civilization force that civilization into peace? The last one could make sense, but it would seem to be dependent upon how happy those people were with their leader.

Also, why does there need to be such a bonus at the end of conquering a civilization in the first place?

If you want to add something I say you get all the dead civ's techs.

If you want to add something I say you get all the dead civ's techs.

That could be potentially unbalancing, and would heavily favour military conquest. Being behind in technology wouldn't matter so long as you had a nice army to go and invade your neighbours with.

1) Execute captured leader! "Off with their heads!" --> gives your civilization a 5 turn golden age

With a massive international penalty, sure? I don't think the execution of Saddam caused a golden age and he was universally hated.

2) Force a "war-crimes" trial --> the computer will calculate how many of your units died at the hands of the captured leader's army and how many of their units died at your hands. when the leader is found guilty, an amount of gold will be rewarded based on how many of your units died in comparison to theirs.. the more units of yours that died, the more gold you get

War-Crimes trials don't work that way. The money came from loot, not from the trial.
3) Exile leader outside of the country --> Forces peace with the civilization you exile the leader to

Why would you get peace?

4) Provide safe home for leader --> Eliminates 50% of the extra anger caused by taking over the cities, the reason being citizens say "You gave mercy to our leader"

Actually, keeping the leader, alive, in your territory would probably lead to MAJOR problems if the people ever rise up because you know exactly they would be attempting to free and use as a symbol of independence.

I think you should be able to compose a victory speech from a number of options

"Hiawatha, I noticed your nation was pathetic and decided I had to kill you. You close proximity to my borders ensured that your murder was inevitable. Your grabbing of every piece of land has ensured that you are now eating dust."

That could be potentially unbalancing, and would heavily favour military conquest. Being behind in technology wouldn't matter so long as you had a nice army to go and invade your neighbours with.

That's only if the game makes military easy. Keep forgetting I'm talking about unmodded civ 5 sometimes XD

Conquering an enemy civilization should give you ++respect (from anyone who didnt like them) and --respect (from anyone who did) diplomatically speaking.

Yeah, perhaps something like the "we are worried that our rivals are your vassals" penalty in Civ4 could work, just altered to "we are worried that you have conquered our friends and/or rivals". This could also act as a small counter against military expansion/militarily powerful civs.

Top Bottom