Destroying Wonders

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Joij21, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

I wish there was a system where wonders could be destroyed by earthquakes, fires (only if they're flammable), storms, volcanos, enemies capturing cities (without razing, during brutal city sacking, yields some kind of treasure unit worth lots of gold and production), and also by their owners once obsolete (used to create production for other buildings as the wonder is slowly chiseled away). It would be much more realistic then the current system we have now as most of the real world's ancient wonders never survived to the modern age but rather were destroyed by all the above disasters I mentioned.

To be honest this could also make quite the challenge when paired up with Deity or Nightmare mode. Would always keep you on your toes.

Now this wouldn't be for everyone which is why I believe it should be a starting option called "Vulnerable Wonders", which would include both national and world wonders. However I suppose sub options could be created for those who only want national or world wonders to be vulnerable.

What do you guys think? Good or bad idea?

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

As an option I can see how that would be cool to make wonders more vulnerable. I can see why some players want them to be tough to destroy and others would want a more RL system to it.

cobbaut likes this.
  3. DC0

DC0 Prince

IRL one can re-build GW that was destroyed by nature/accident/inside job. If same would be implemented in game, let those GW be destroyed as any other building.

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

That's interesting to consider but I think the classic thinking about the destruction of a GW is the Library of Alexandria, the information stored within never truly recoverable, so it's been a game standard where that couldn't be done. Nobody rebuilt the Colossus either...

cobbaut likes this.
  5. DC0

DC0 Prince

CAN rebuild <> MUST rebuild.

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

But does = WOULD rebuild. And in many cases it never happened.

7. DC0

DC0 Prince

Library of Alexandria was not rebuild.
    But other huge libraries were built after. Like Hadrian's library. And one in Constantinople. And later Library of Congress :)
    It is not like people stopped trying to gather all available knowledge in one place.

8. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Imo better to add those buildings, rather than allowing a specific wonder to move from city to city whenever it is destroyed and rebuilt. A wonder is specific to time and place, if recreated elsewhere later it would not be the same accomplishment as the original was.

We could add events that destroy specific wonders, giving the player the choice of rebuilding it or let it be destroyed, rebuilding it may entail having the city go inactive for x amount of turns and costing some cash, e.g. recent fire of Notre Dame comes to mind.
    With a bit of creative modding we could make it rebuildable only in the city it was in when the event destroyed it, e.g. by having the event replace the wonder with another building representing the ruins of the wonder, that building could be the prerequisite of a "rebuild X wonder" building and when that building is built it, and the ruin version, would both be removed by a script and replaced by the original wonder that got destroyed.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    force200 and Thunderbrd like this.
  9. DC0

DC0 Prince

Replacer building is a good idea. It, itself, may provide some cultural bonus. And will allow player flexibility on if and when to re-build.

However, there is an opinion that more pressing matters should be considered before adding new stuff into mod. Matters like adding missing animal myth buildings for Wallaby and Tasmanian Devil.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021