Detailed Worlds

Detailed Worlds 2.12

Seven05

Warmonger
Detailed Worlds

2.0+ Versions are ONLY compatible with Gathering Storm.

Also available on Steam (finally?): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1657281010

Detailed worlds is my personal adjustments to several world generation utility functions and customized map scripts with added detail. The primary objective of this mod is to make the world more interesting, particularly with the detailed versions of the included map scripts. I believe that an interesting world is essential to having an interesting game, especially in a game like Civilization.

Basic Features
The following features will work on all random maps generated while this mod is activated:
  • Larger deserts without more desert tiles per map. While the deserts will be approximately the same portion of the world they will often be more cohesive resulting in a few larger desert areas rather than many scattered desert tiles. Grassland will also be less frequent, but still possible, on tiles adjacent to deserts.
  • Reduced polar ice to help with circumnavigation (not really, most base maps are still horrible about putting land right up against the map edge).
  • Fixed rain forest placement. No more ugly band of rain forest tiles at the equator! Rain Forest/Jungle placement is now more dependent on the underlying map and will be more frequent in certain areas. Rivers and coastal areas can have large Rain Forest regions. The total number of Rain Forest tiles is that same as the default scripts (and affected by the rainfall option).
  • Adjusted marsh placement so marshes favor land near water (coast, lakes and rivers). The favoring is cumulative so a coastal riverside tile is much more likely to allow a marsh than an inland grassland tile.
  • Flood plains on all desert flat land riverside tiles. These flood plains will not flood using the new Gather Storm disasters but you can't tell them apart in-game so be careful.
  • Better volcano placement with limitations to keep them at least 3 tiles apart and ensure they have no more than 3 adjacent pre-existing mountain tiles. Some mountains get placed after volcanoes so you may occasionally see 4+ mountains around a volcano.
Detailed Maps
In additional to all of the basic features listed above, the new detailed map scripts also have the following special features:
  • Reduced polar land. 99.9% chance of being able to circumnavigate the world by boat. (Low sea level maps may still result in blocked passage)
  • Added coastal detail. More coves, bays, islands to make each landmass more interesting to explore, settle and conquer.
  • New river generation. Rivers are now affected by the rainfall option in advanced setups (only when using a "Detailed" map script).
The following custom maps are included:

Continents - Detailed
The vanilla Continents map with all of the features of the Detailed Maps outlined above.

Pangaea - Detailed
The vanilla Pangaea map with all of the features of the Detailed Maps outlined above.

Small Continents - Detailed
My new "Small Continents" map that works much like the Continents map with more, and smaller, landmasses. There is no "ocean rift" created to force continental separation and there is a rule to ensure that the largest continent is less than 33% of the total land. Bigger than islands, smaller than normal continents! Good for games with more naval activity and landmasses that can fit multiple cities.

Fractal - Detailed (added in version 1.1)
Fractal maps a generated using the same fractal code as the Continents, Pangaea and Small Continents maps with the restrictions removed. This will create random worlds with landmasses that may be huge or small. It will not generate the ocean rift used in continents nor will it limit the landmass size (max or min). It tends to create larger landmasses in testing, however it is entirely based on the random seed so you may encounter a streak of nothing but small continents and islands. I can't emphasize enough how purely random this map is.

Archipelago - Detailed (added in version 1.1)
Unlike the default "Island Plates" map this will not simply generate a ton of islands. It tends to create a few "snakey" continents surrounded by many smaller continents with islands scattered around the map. To compensate for the small landmass sizes the sea level percents are reduced compared to the continental map types.

Installation
Unzip the file into:
Unzip it here: C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods

You'll have a "Detailed Worlds" folder inside your mod folder if the file was properly unpacked. Once in the game all you need to do is go into the "Additional Content" menu and make sure there is a check next to Detailed Worlds. Make sure to check that the mod is still enabled after updating!

Last edited:
We need better maps for screenshots :)

These are as of version 1.02, even in the default maps you can see the climate modification with the desert placement and less obnoxious big jungle stripe at the equator.

The tiny maps above show the difference between detailed and standard maps using the same map seed (123456789).

This is the new Small Continents map.

--------------------
Interesting Map Seeds
-1772721411 Pangaea - Detailed

-1577784416 Continents - Detailed

Last edited:
Very Very Very Very Nice!!! I absolutely love your changes to the rainforest. The banding was the most ugly thing in the map generator.

Will you ever get around to working on Fractal? I'll try continents out right now regardless.

BTW I loved your FfH map script! Brings back memories.

Very Very Very Very Nice!!! I absolutely love your changes to the rainforest. The banding was the most ugly thing in the map generator.
Thanks, that was driving me nuts too, always this crazy three tile wide stripe.

Will you ever get around to working on Fractal? I'll try continents out right now regardless.

BTW I loved your FfH map script! Brings back memories.
I plan on doing more types as I work on some other issues I'd like to clean up. I'm not entirely happy with the default rivers & lakes but I need to either sort out how the new areabuilder works (it's in the DLL and completely undocumented in the existing scripts) or write up my own and I'd like to build some methods to handle a few other ugly things we get with fractal maps like the occasional mountain blob with isolated tiles inside it.

Fractal maps should work relatively well as-is with this enabled, you won't get the rainfall based rivers & lakes or additional islands but you will get the rain forest fix and modified desert & plains placement. I don't use fractal, is there anything else it can use other than the polar land adjustment?

I was actually digging through that old FfH map the other day, it does bring back memories and I almost re-installed 4 to fire up a game of FfH. :)

I’ve checked out a couple of tiny Pangaea-Detailed maps.

Desert placement looks much better now being more consistent, same with the jungle.
While you can (too) generously navigate along the southern polar zone now, the northern polar zone is always blocked by snow and ice tiles at one spot. Looks jinxed somehow. The PD maps remember more like Fractal now with the irregular shapes, sometimes plenty one-tile islands scattered around the ocean. You get the feeling you don’t have the same large Pangaea landmass to play on like before.
I’ve done some screenshots of original Pangaea and Pangaea-Detailed maps, where you can clearly see the differences:

Spoiler :
Pangaea:

Pangaea-Detailed:

Oh my god I had to come back again to say that I am absolutely in love with your continent generation! And I'm not sure if this is your mod or the patch but it seems that rock-type resources only generate on hills (or they generate the hills themselves) and I absolutely love that! I always feel cheated when I have to build a quarry on otherwise fertile flat ground :blush:. And the little islands are so amazing with their trees! I somehow manage to keep getting spawned on an isolated island but that is fine with me, I love naval play.

On another note, looking at the pangaea maps, I can see why he might have complaints. Your generator does really well for making interesting shapes but I guess if you're playing pangaea, you pretty much want a blob. And there's no way currently to play on a blob and still get your awesome feature generation.

Small Continents aren't working well at all sorry to say. I love playing these but the latest update gives you islands most of the time not land masses. If this was intentional you might want to rethink the plan. I reverted to a previous one because it was that bad, I am probably one of the few that like to have his own land mass. :cool:

Can you please look at it and fix it or put back the non detailed version. It did look nice though.

I’ve checked out a couple of tiny Pangaea-Detailed maps.

Desert placement looks much better now being more consistent, same with the jungle.
While you can (too) generously navigate along the southern polar zone now, the northern polar zone is always blocked by snow and ice tiles at one spot. Looks jinxed somehow. The PD maps remember more like Fractal now with the irregular shapes, sometimes plenty one-tile islands scattered around the ocean. You get the feeling you don’t have the same large Pangaea landmass to play on like before.
Thanks for letting me know how it works on tiny map sizes, I always play large and up. The original Pangaea map had a function in it to forcibly shift the landmass north or south, I removed it and essentially made it work just like continents without the ocean rift and with a minimum landmass size of 80%. Anyway, there is another shift function in there that moves it east/west or north/south to make sure that the map edges are the portions of the map with the most water and for some reason on Pangaea it does seem to favor moving the land to the north. I'll see if I can get it to be more centered so it doesn't always touch the north pole.

Oh my god I had to come back again to say that I am absolutely in love with your continent generation! And I'm not sure if this is your mod or the patch but it seems that rock-type resources only generate on hills (or they generate the hills themselves) and I absolutely love that! I always feel cheated when I have to build a quarry on otherwise fertile flat ground :blush:. And the little islands are so amazing with their trees! I somehow manage to keep getting spawned on an isolated island but that is fine with me, I love naval play.
The island starts are more the result of the really bad default starting plot code (which I'm trying to fix with my Larger Worlds mod). With this mod I don't touch starting plots or resources but the more varied hill placement may have some impact, it's hard to say. I'm glad you're liking the results so far!

On another note, looking at the pangaea maps, I can see why he might have complaints. Your generator does really well for making interesting shapes but I guess if you're playing pangaea, you pretty much want a blob. And there's no way currently to play on a blob and still get your awesome feature generation.
God bless the random fractals :)

In my original tests the pangaea world were always this big blob with an occasional large island or two and a few small island chains. Today I saw three snakey continents that had a couple of single tile connections which, while technically pangaea aren't quite what I was looking for. :)

Small Continents aren't working well at all sorry to say. I love playing these but the latest update gives you islands most of the time not land masses. If this was intentional you might want to rethink the plan. I reverted to a previous one because it was that bad, I am probably one of the few that like to have his own land mass. :cool:

Can you please look at it and fix it or put back the non detailed version. It did look nice though.
I will dig around in there and see what broke, I think I have an idea...

I don’t really see any improvement on PD maps with 1.01 yet. The magnetic effect of the North Pole is still there with one or more blocks. Plenty fragments scattered around and often long single-tile bridges. Overall, less useful landmass than originally - well, I'm not going to count every single landmass tile to compare.

Looking at trying these out. I love that you are doing things to the maps...they were kinda boring.

And I don't mean your maps are boring the vanilla ones. :thumbsup:

I don’t really see any improvement on PD maps with 1.01 yet. The magnetic effect of the North Pole is still there with one or more blocks. Plenty fragments scattered around and often long single-tile bridges. Overall, less useful landmass than originally - well, I'm not going to count every single landmass tile to compare.
So my current cheat is to generate a pangaea that is smaller than the actual map and then I let the default "ShiftPlots" function run which attempts to line up the map edges so they have the least land. I think I'll just take it over with brute force and shift it up 5% (otherwise the land will just sit at the south pole instead of the north pole). So much undocumented utility code has been put into the DLL it's making it hard to do what should be some pretty simple checks. And then there is always the random factor which means I can get ten awesome maps in a row, release it and the first one somebody else generates is garbage :)

I can get some really cool results right now but I also get some really crap results too so expect a long string of minor tweaks rather than big updates. At least the jungle and desert code works reliably!

Looking at trying these out. I love that you are doing things to the maps...they were kinda boring.

And I don't mean your maps are boring the vanilla ones. :thumbsup:
That's always been a big thing with me, I like maps that have lots of interesting features to them.

I really, really love your "detailed" map scripts but the new river generation thing isn't going so well for me..I like to play on 'arid' and the last 2 maps I generated I seem to be getting markedly fewer rivers than I'm used to, and I really think Civ 6 hinges upon a lot of rivers. Everything else is looking excellent though.

Detailed Worlds look very interesting.

It would be great if city states were placed on the islands outside the main landmasses, just like Continents Plus and Pangaea Plus in Civ V.

I tried playing a MP game with a friend with this and the larger worlds mod you have. On pressing next turn on turn 1, he got a crash to desktop, dxerror of some sort. We tried again with just a huge world, detailed small continents. Same thing happened, as soon as he presses next turn on turn 1, he crashes. He's got almost the same computer as me, i7 4790k, but a gtx 970 and I have the 980, I am hosting.
We turned off the mods, and it works perfectly.
I don't have a crash report, since he didn't want to bother with trying anymore and just wanted to play civ :)
But, I thought I'd share anyhow.

Thanks for the work. Haven't tried it yet but hope that it creates more river systems than does the vanilla continents/pangea/fractal triad.

Detailed small continents are still not working correctly. It isn't the random seed generation either, it is something else. The way it creates the land masses are strange as hell. My current game it connected all land masses to the top and bottom mostly leaving the rest empty accept for a few scattered islands.

This seems to happen frequently, I went back to your older version before detailed one. I love the new design, but in action it isn't quite right. Needs some tweaking perhaps, I would be willing to test for you if you like? I am one of those disability people who can play a lot and I do. lol I am going back to work as soon as my card arrives that allows me to.

The changes did help a great deal, there seem to be times now where resources are clumping together, not sure if that is the game itself or your mod. I had a few games where no good huts generated at all. One time only but I am running other mods, including the map pack with Enormous and Ludicrous map sizes. Never crashes so I assumed it would be fine. :D

In the meantime I love what you are doing but want to help you tweak and refine it further. If I can help with testing or anything at all please let me know. Thanks :thumbsup:

And I got one last tlnight that looked so good that I stopped working on it and played for a couple hours :)

I have some more adjustmemts to upload later, and answers for everybody else when I'm not using my phone.

I really, really love your "detailed" map scripts but the new river generation thing isn't going so well for me..I like to play on 'arid' and the last 2 maps I generated I seem to be getting markedly fewer rivers than I'm used to, and I really think Civ 6 hinges upon a lot of rivers. Everything else is looking excellent though.
I need to adjust that some more. The base code is pretty much a "one size fits all" approach and any adjustments have very different results depending on the size of the landmasses. I've already written a new method for that so now I can tweak it better for individual map scripts. Which map type and size were you getting bad results on?

Detailed Worlds look very interesting.

It would be great if city states were placed on the islands outside the main landmasses, just like Continents Plus and Pangaea Plus in Civ V.
That's one of my goals with my "larger worlds" mod since I don't plan on touching any of the starting plot code with this mod. It's not been easy though, there is a lot of undocumented code and many of the basic utilities I need (like getting the size of an area that a starting plot is on) aren't readily available or don't function as expected based on my experience with the same functions in Civ 5.

I tried playing a MP game with a friend with this and the larger worlds mod you have. On pressing next turn on turn 1, he got a crash to desktop, dxerror of some sort. We tried again with just a huge world, detailed small continents. Same thing happened, as soon as he presses next turn on turn 1, he crashes. He's got almost the same computer as me, i7 4790k, but a gtx 970 and I have the 980, I am hosting.
We turned off the mods, and it works perfectly.
I don't have a crash report, since he didn't want to bother with trying anymore and just wanted to play civ :)
But, I thought I'd share anyhow.
Do any mods work in MP? I haven't had a chance to try that.

Thanks for the work. Haven't tried it yet but hope that it creates more river systems than does the vanilla continents/pangea/fractal triad.
Rivers are a work in progress :)

Detailed small continents are still not working correctly. It isn't the random seed generation either, it is something else. The way it creates the land masses are strange as hell. My current game it connected all land masses to the top and bottom mostly leaving the rest empty accept for a few scattered islands.

This seems to happen frequently, I went back to your older version before detailed one. I love the new design, but in action it isn't quite right. Needs some tweaking perhaps, I would be willing to test for you if you like? I am one of those disability people who can play a lot and I do. lol I am going back to work as soon as my card arrives that allows me to.

The changes did help a great deal, there seem to be times now where resources are clumping together, not sure if that is the game itself or your mod. I had a few games where no good huts generated at all. One time only but I am running other mods, including the map pack with Enormous and Ludicrous map sizes. Never crashes so I assumed it would be fine. :D

In the meantime I love what you are doing but want to help you tweak and refine it further. If I can help with testing or anything at all please let me know. Thanks :thumbsup:
I'll upload my tweaks more often then so you can test away :)

I usually run about 10 test maps (per type) before I release an update once it's stable. It's just time consuming since I have to do it in-game now, I was original working in Civ 5's world builder and then converting the code but the fractal generator seems to get different results with the same values. Anyway, I'll post some alpha updates for anybody that wants to play around with maps that may be horribly broken ;)

Top Bottom