1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Deutsch 101

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by scherbchen, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Thanks for the help yet again! The direction/location thing particularly is a bit clearer for me now.

I think you may have mentioned a preference for lernen over studieren a few pages back too. :blush:
    Thanks! It's an end of semester exam- so it's everything in Intro German A (minus listening/speaking, thankfully). The tests have actually all been quite easy so far, so hopefully the pattern repeats!

Outside of class, I occasionally watch Inspector Rex (it's shown with subtitles, which kinda helps too), and we also get daily Deutsche-Welle news here (both are on SBS; free-to-air government multicultural broadcaster) which I watch when I get the chance. My textbook recommends quite a few movies to go watch (e.g. Der Tunnel, Good bye Lenin!) but I haven't actually got my hands on them yet (although we watched some excerpts in class). I have a cousin who's learning German as well, and she has an exchange student staying with her who I'll get to speak with when I see her next. But despite all this I would definitely say that I haven't been exposing myself to German things nearly enough. :undecide:

2. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

Today in German, while reading a historical narrative, I confused the word "Verwaltung" for "Vergewaltigung."

To put it simply, I was a bit confused.

3. LightSpectra

How would one say, "But I just want you to know?" I figure it would be, "Doch will ich dir zu wissen," but that could also mean "But I want to know you."

It's for a translation I'm trying to do for "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire":

4. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

there's something missing in "Doch will ich dir zu wissen," . The closest to that would be something like "Ich möchte dich nur wissen lassen, dass...." (I have trouble placing the But there, especially since it's at the beginning of the sentence. How it's used in german probable depends on what you wrote before the but.

a bit of a more informal approach would be "Nur damit du's weisst" which literally translates more to "just so you know". But as in english it can imply a bit of a angry undertone.

edit: as for the rest, I'd place the "nicht" after "Welt".

Also acclaim in this context would probably be better translated to Anerkennung.

Zulassung is more like a permit. Admission in this context would better translate to Zugeständnis (there's easily a better word than that but I'm kind mind-blocked atm :/ )

I'm afraid, I don't understand the last sentence or what the english original was other than you should use mir instead of mich at the end.

5. metatron

metatron unperson

I have trouble with the question mark.
    "But i just want you to know:" would be:
    Doch will ich dich wissen lassen:

Ich you are not going to point out what it is you wanted that person to know the sentence needs a secondary subject.
    "But i just want you to know." would be:
    Aber ich wollte dich das wissen lassen.

"wissen lassen" is a rather stuffy construction anyway. One would basically say something else in such cases, like:
    Ich wollte dich in Kenntnis setzten.
    Ich wollte dich informieren.
    etc.

Those don't require the object.

I'd consider "damit du's weißt" as way more aggressive (and childish) than "just so you know". I guess equal in tone could be "damit du Bescheid weißt".
    *an would be gramaticaly correct and technically it would make sense. But usually one makes fire "in einem Herzen".
    **What's in the original? I bet "Lust" is not a good translation.
    ***This doesn't work. I'd need to know the original to make a sensible suggestion
    ****Ah. I see. Actually "doch will ich dich wissen lassen" would fit very well there. But it's a syllable more than "but i want you to know" or "doch will ich daß du weißt". Plus one can probably sing "weißt" the way it's intended while "lassen" will almost certainly screw that up.

I tried to read the thing with an open mind. I.e. i was ignoring Grisu's suggestions for a moment. But i guess they are somewhat superior (Zugeständnis and Anerkennung make a lot of sense).
    Yes, the last sentence is odd, but i let it pass as artistic license. People say all kinds of nutty stuff when they are in love. I assumed this didn't make much more sense in English in the first place.

6. LightSpectra

Thanks for the help. Here's the original lyrics, for context:

7. chegel

chegel Warlord

Ich will nicht die Welt in Brand setzen,
    Maybe "stecken" instead of "setzen". I am not sure which one sounds better.
    ich will nur ein Feuer in deinem Herz entfachen.
    "Entfachen" sounds more passionate.
    In meinem Herzen gibt es bloß ein Begehren,
    "Lust" is almost solely sexual.
    dieses Begehren bist du und sonst gibt es keins.
    This does not sound too bad and is not too far from the English one either...

Träume gehen weiter und weiter,
    Doch Liebste, wisse nur dies:
    Since you cannot translate the English construction with accusative+infinitive directly into German I would suggest this.
    [ Ich will nicht die Welt in Brand setzen...]

Ich habe den Antrieb für weltliche Anerkennung verloren,
    This one is hard to translate directly in my opinion.
    ich will lediglich der sein, den du liebst
    "Lediglich" just because you used "nur" all the time, "lediglich" and "bloß" have the same meaning.
    und wenn du anerkennst, dass du ebenso fühlst,
    I would rather use a verb in German than the English noun. "wenn du eingestehst" would work too
    werde ich das Ziel erreicht haben, von dem ich träume,
    Shouldn't this be "goal" instead of "gold"? Does not make sense in German and in English else
    glaub mir!

8. LightSpectra

I have this issue with trying to translate things too literally into German. German sentences like "was musst du denn hier?" always feel weird to me because I don't think fluently in German, I just translate it in my head; so that sentence ends up something like "what then must you here?" Hopefully I'll get better with that.

9. chegel

chegel Warlord

I am not sure if translations of songs are the way to go if your goal is to become more fluent in a language. My suggestion
    "Doch Liebste, wisse nur dies:"
    for example is not the usual expression but I took some poetic freedom to make it sound good (in my opinion that is).
    "Doch Liebste, ich will nur, dass du weißt"
    would be the better translation because this would be the standard grammatical construction.

10. LightSpectra

Question: If one does something for the sake of somebody else, is the other person in the accusative case? Like "I will write more for you", would that be translated "Ich werde mehr für dich schreiben"?

11. uppi

uppi Deity

Yes. :goodjob:

12. Sveon

Sveon Warlord

Lumpi macht herein ein gang einen bretterwandt entlang. Da ist ein man, der man da sitz und mit sien spritzpistole sprizs. Was spritzs er schon denkt Lumpi noch? Da spritz er schon dursch Lumpis loch!

That's one of the most advanced thing I learned in german class I think. That and..., Ein fugzeug nach Ostberlin hast eine verspätung! Uber die brücken dann links!

13. LightSpectra

What's the difference between "nun" and "jetzt"?

14. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

There is none. But you can use "nun" to replace "naja" or "Nun ja", which roughly translates into "well" in the meaning that it is a word with no meaning at the beginning of a sentence.

15. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

in many cases the two are pretty much the same, with nun maybe being a bit less strong. But nun can also be used for other stuff (as a filler, for instance) similar to well.

from personal experience, nun is mostly used in written german, I hardly ever hear it in speech.

16. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

There isn't much of a difference. They are largely synonymous and mean "now". If you want some sort of suggestion, then I'd say content yourself with using "jetzt" mainly and restrict the use of "nun" to fixed expressions such as ... uhmmm ... there aren't so many actually.

17. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

This reminds me of the moment where our Irish exchange students first came across the name of our resident car dealer: "Autohaus Rape". I could never look at that one the same way again :D

18. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

So I'm going to be an exchange student in Germany starting in less than 3 weeks. Unfortunately I barely know any German though. I started the Rosetta Stone course 2 days ago and am halfway through the first disc. Is there a chance that I'll become semi-fluent just rushing through all the discs?

19. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

No, Rosetta Stone is a terrible tool to learn a language. I know this from experience. It is only a good resource for learning vocabulary. Pimsleur is much more effective and would be better given your time constraint.

20. uppi

uppi Deity

Becoming semi-fluent in 3 weeks is going to be extremely tough. However, you won't need to be semi-fluent as most people will understand you when you're talking English. You should focus on being able to roughly understand what people are saying because they will be talking German when they're not talking specifically to you.

Where are you going?

But vocabulary is the important part, as most of the time you can guess the meaning if you know the words. But without knowing the vocabulary, knowing the grammar is useless.