1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Deutsch 101

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by scherbchen, Nov 15, 2009.

1. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

I'll check it out.

edit: lol what, sounds like a total scam.

Well my host family is encouraged to speak English as little as possible so I get the full "immersion".

I'll be staying just outside of Berlin.

2. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

It's not even that. The vocabulary is limited, and of the words you will learn, most are utterly useless in communicating. Is it really necessary to learn the word for necklace?

Learners should know how to ask about their car being broken down, where to get cigarettes at 2 in the morning, where the nearest grocery store is. Especially for the price, Rosetta Stone is a piss-poor choice for language learners.

3. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

Price is a non-concern for various reasons that I can't mention :p

4. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

If I were you I would not take a car into Berlin, several car burnings have been reported lately and fuel is more expensive then in America.

5. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

I'm not allowed to drive when I'm there.

edit: Ok after several hours of research I've decided to do some hardcore immersion before I even leave, while using Rosetta Stone to build up some extra knowledge on the side(kind of like taking Language Arts in first grade I guess). I'll see how it goes.

6. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I've got a writing test tomorrow, and the general topic is 'food'. So I've been doing some practice, and just need to know if what I'm doing is accurate. The following is ein Rezept für Pfannekuchen:

"Man siebt die trockenen Zutaten, bevor man den Zucker, das Ei, die Milch und die Butter hinzufügt. Schlag es, bis es glatt ist. Dann gießt man die Mischung in eine Pfanne. Vergewissern, dass man erste die Pfanne erhitzt hat! Koch es bis braun ist, dann kann man essen."

What I have most trouble with here is 'vergewissern'. Have I used it correctly (and does the rest of the sentence flow, to form something akin to "don't forget to heat the pan first!")? Also obviously not sure about the rest, but I *think* most of it probably works. Does it?

Also, there is this:

"Ich finde, dass die Kaffeemaschine nicht am wichtigsten Gerät ist, weil ich Kaffee nicht trinken. Andererseits, unser Kühlschrank ist sehr wichtig, weil er unser Wasser kalt hält. Andere elektrischen Haushaltgeräte sind auch wichtig, aber der Kühlschrank am wichtigsten. Also, wenn ich ein nur Gerät konnte haben, würde es der Kühlschrank sein."

There are a couple elements I'm unsure of. The 'dass' in the first line confuses me. Is the word order following it (i.e. verb last) correct? Also, the last line in its entirely I'm not too confident with. Largely because I don't understand subjunctives.

A few other problems revealed themselves in the following (I think):

"Ich wachte auf um sieben Uhr und bin zehn Minuten später augestanden. Nachdem duschte ich, ich wollte Frühstück, also bin zur Küche gegangen, also konnte ich Pfannekuchen machen. Ich habe die trockenen Zutaten gesiebt, bevor ich den Zucker, die Milch, die Butter und das Ei hinzugefügt habe. Dann habe ich die Mischung geschlagen, bis es glatt war. Schließlich habe ich die Mischung in der Pfanne gegossen, und bräunte sie. Sie schmeckte sehr gut! Ich aß nicht bis Mittag, wenn es Zeit für Mittagessen war. Ich hatte ein belegte Brot mit gebratene Eier, viel Speck und etwas Tomate. Es war mit Salz und Pfeffer würzen. Ich wollte ein Tasse (oder zwei) Rotwein mit mein belegte Brot, aber ich hatte einen langweilig Vortrag im Nachmittag und wollte nicht einzuschlafen. Nachdem meinen Vortrag bin ich nach Hause gegangen. Es war sechs Uhr, also brauchte ich Abendessen kochen. Ich kochte ein Braten, weil meine Eltern zum Abendessen kommen waren. Es war ein Schweinebraten mit Karroten, Bohnen, Erbsen und Spargel. Ich kochte auch etwas Kartoffeln und schnitt ein paar Zwiebeln. Mit einem Korkenzieher öffnete ich ein Flasche französisch Wein und wartete auf meine Eltern. Nachdem sie angekommen waren, aßen und tranken wir. Sie wollten den Braten, welche mich sehr glücklich machte. Wenn sie gingen, war ich sehr müde, also ging zu Bett."

A couple of things I had a bit of an issue with were "etwas" vs. "ein paar" and "also" vs. "so" (and how that impacts on word order). There are probably problems elsewhere as well. :dunno:

7. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

it works mostly, but you are jumping cases a bit, if going by "man..." from the first sentence I'd go as below. Further the second sentence seems to be about the sugar, egg etc., if so it should not use "es" but "sie" (plural). The foruth sentence has "die" and "erste" reversed and finally, you don't cook a pancake, you fry it:

"Man siebt die trockenen Zutaten, bevor man den Zucker, das Ei, die Milch und die Butter hinzufügt. Nun schlägt man diese, bis sie glatt sind. Dann gießt man die Mischung in eine Pfanne. Man sollte sich vergewissern, dass man die erste Pfanne erhitzt hat! Man brät den Pfannkuchen bis er braun ist, dann kann man essen."

...duties are calling, will look at the rest later :)

8. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

it's clear what you're saying but some of the cases are mixed up:

it's das wichtigste (no -n at the end, since Gerät is singular) Gerät ist, weil (I'd use 'da' in this case, but weil works too) ich Kaffee nicht trinke (again no n, it's first person singular -> trinke).

Looking at the second sentence, it's clear that you're translating from english, the ordering of the words is somewhat off for german. I german, you'd order it like this: 'ist unser Kühlschrank sehr wichtig. I wouldn't use Andererseits in this instance, since it makes it look like you're still referring to the same appliance (coffee machine). You could use 'Dagegen' instead.

The third sentence is fine.

The Also in your last sentence sounds somewhat more like something you'd use in spoken german, not really in the written form. And könnte and haben should switch places :). Furthermore, I'd use 'wäre es der Kühlschrank' but your line works as well, if I'm not mistaken.

the 'dass' is correct in this instance :)

9. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

After reading it...that's quite a complicated text.
    I think you did relatively well, but there are numerous problems.

Corrections in bold.

Not sure what "glatt" is in this case in english, but i don't think it sounds right in german.

Either "am wichtigsten ist" or "das wichtigste Gerät ist".
    Haben könnte, nicht konnte haben.

Either "Nach dem duschen" or "Danach duschte ich".

"Ich aß nicht bis Mittag, wenn es Zeit für Mittagessen war"
    I guess this would mean "I did not eat lunch, because it was already lunch time". What you wrote is "I didn't eat until lunch, when it was time for lunch".
    Right would be in this case "Ich aß nicht zu Mittag, denn es war bereits Zeit für [das] Mittagessen".

"Nachdem meinen Vortrag"
    This is rather "Afterwards my presentation". What you want is either
    - Nach meinem Vortrag
    - Nachdem mein Vortrag [vorbei war]

You wouldn't say in german "kochte Braten" (while grammaticallly correct", you'd rather say "macht einen Braten".

"Wenn sie gingen" would mean "When they gone". You either want
    - Nachdem sie gegangen waren
    - Als sie gingen (that's from the tense closer to it)

10. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Many thanks! :D

RE: "Ich aß nicht bis Mittag, wenn es Zeit für Mittagessen war"- what I was attempting to say here was 'I did not eat until noon, when it was time for lunch.' So is 'Mittag' not generally used for 'noon' in this sort of context?

RE: "Sie wollten den Braten [?], welche mich sehr glücklich machte"- that's meant to be 'they liked the roast, which made me very happy'. Does that work?

11. chegel

chegel Warlord

You can write Ich aß nicht bis zum Mittag, als es Zeit fürs Mittagessen war. but it sounds strange because it is obvious that the time for Mittagessen is mittags. I would just write Ich aß nichts bis zum Mittag. or Ich aß nichts vor dem Mittagessen.

Sie mochten den Braten, was mich sehr glücklich machte. would be right. More typical German would be (imo) Der Braten schmeckte ihnen, ... .

12. dot

dot crossing the i's

It's correct though.
    Allerdings würde man eher sagen, dass man den Teig rührt (rühren). Außerem ist der Teig männlich. Daher würde der Satz wie folgt lauten:

"Schlag ihn, bis er glatt ist."

13. metatron

metatron unperson

I can only emphasize what Gigaz said:
    There are roughly 400 bruning cars in Berlin every year.
    That's one every night!
    Among only 2 million cars!
    It's like Russian roulette!
    Be afraid! Be very afraid!

Re You (c764) aquiring any useful skills in German in a few weeks:
    Not going to happen. You will be fine though. For various reasons that would take time to explain people will give you specifically even more breaks than they give other exchange students.

14. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

How do you say "somebody's"? Like, "I need somebody's phone."

15. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I've started taking an introductory German course at university, so I guess I'll be posting in this thread from time to time.

16. dot

dot crossing the i's

"I need somebody's phone." = "Ich brauche jemandes Telefon."

Howsoever, depending on the region in Germany you'd much rather say something like "Ich brauche ein Telefon von jemandem." or even more likely you'll just drop the somebody's and say "Ich brauche ein Telefon.". ;)

17. LightSpectra

LightSpectra me autem minui

Thanks.

Another question: I was thinking about a song lyric today that goes "One drop of love from him / and my heart's in ecstasy." I'm not exactly sure what the best translation for ecstasy would be, but that's not the main question: since the conjunctive clause here is hypothetical ("[if I get] one drop... [then] my heart's..."), does that mean that the verb in the second part should be Konjunktiv? Like for example, "Ein Tropfen der Liebe von ihm, und mein Herz gehe in die Ekstase" (or "sei" since I'm not sure what the best verb would be)?

18. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Personally I´d say

Ein Liebestropfen von ihm, und mein Herz geht in (die) Ekstase.

(You don´t use gehe here, contrary to what you might think, unless it refers to a non-existing or desired love, in which you would use gehe.)

German is great in combining existing words into (new) combination, which in many cases you can´t even do in English. (Althought instead of drop of love the singer/writer might have used lovedrop, but then the stress goes to lovedrop instead of one, as obviously intended. Curiously, in German Liebestropfen works better than Tropfen der Liebe, without taking away the stress on ein.

19. chegel

chegel Warlord

You can translate "to be in ecstasy" with "in Ekstase sein".

So if you want to express a hypothetical situation it would be:
    Ein Tropfen Liebe von ihm und mein Herz wäre in Ekstase.

You have to use the Konjunktiv II so your suggestion would rather be:
    Ein Tropfen der Liebe von ihm, und mein Herz ginge in [die] Ekstase
    but I would rather use the verb "geraten" instead:
    Ein Tropfen Liebe von ihm und mein Herz geriete in Ekstase

Konjunktiv I is for indirect speech.

20. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Grammatically wrong, but what you'd actually say would probably be "und mein Herz würde in Ekstase aufgehen".
    But...er...don't do that.