1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Development pre 1.6

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by gilgames, Dec 12, 2018.

1. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Last night i finished my first successfull game as cordoba.
    Cordoba normally is a moderate start, then a massive war vs other iberians, then a boring end turn unitl uhv is done.

This time it was different. Instead of heavy fighing vs barbs, i could take pamplona then went broke, 0% sience, but managed to be size 12, that was enough. Later killed a spanish settler, so they were low and insignificant. Went up to 30-40% and got mezchita and 2 other wonder as well. I killed spain by 1200, then it was a slow fight versus portugal till 1400 ca. Aragon was the last after 1450. In the meantime i became a wondermonger. I was also constantly fighting with morocco.

It was very hard, compared to a usual cordoba. Also i got something to do all the time, and thats good.
    After 1500 i could sabilized my economy enough to go up to 70-80% of sience buti was behinde a few tech by then.

Ps: i would love to see, how the does it, i mean financially. What %s is it running with.

AbsintheRed likes this.
  2. 8ha8ha

8ha8ha Chieftain

I don't know how to use SVN, so I hope that I can play 1.6 at Christmas:lol:

3. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Its not hard, you should do it! There is a thread stickied on top how to do it.

4. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Ok, i finished a game with hungary. It was okey. There were no power peaks as in 1.5, and took 200 years more.
    The only "problem" i can mention is that before mercantil8sm, no way you can be above 60% sience...thats wierd. Oh and vassal does not fulfill the territory goals. That should be changed. Or allow me to dow my vassal as i please.

Ottomans have a bug. When Byzy dies, all of ur cities stops what they were doing and ask for each what to do, as if you were just now conquered them.
    Playing as Ottomans us super fun now. Just the stability needs some balance, i collapsed 2/2 game so far

5. Rafaelito

Rafaelito Chieftain

So there we are, when i finally managed to reach the first byz UHV.

I´ve found a way to deal with the gold struggle: disband almost all galleys after the first strike, use your archers to soft them defenses, plunder some villages with your axemen and hope some barbarian go for the independent cities, softening their garrison. Also you should not train any unit (except a few workers) and build courthouses asap (even though none will be done in time).

Yet, as you can see in the print below, the main problem is not the gold but the instability. When plague strikes, there is nothing you can do, no matter how luck u were on RNG and how perfect was your strategy. Your conquered cities will go independents and even the imperalism civic can´t save you.

Although i must say this tremendous challenge is quite pleasant, as i got used to a fairly easy byzantium game before.

Attached Files:

6. Rafaelito

Rafaelito Chieftain

Funny thing: the instability was so high that the core of my empire ignored my unique power and crashed anyway, hahaha

i´ve died in the same turn where i accomplished the first goal.

Attached Files:

7. Rafaelito

Rafaelito Chieftain

A suggestion for the instability problem as byz:

Start with manorialism, so you could build manor houses?

Or, perharps with a higher initial gold amount, like 1500 (so we could decide rush manorialism or rush to the italian conquest)
    (usually i trade manorialism with france, but i fear by the time we meet it will be too late, not to mention that now i must disband the galley that i used to scout to the west)

Edit: another bug report, the 2 relic from the Saint Catherine wonder has no use, they can´t join any city.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  8. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I dont know how you did it, i need a lot of unit just to keep the barbs at bay. But more gold will not solve anything in the long run.

9. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

You need Monument Building to use them.

10. Rafaelito

Rafaelito Chieftain

Deffend your Empire with your initial forces, placing them on key locations such as the Stone on Caesarea (the spearman and the swordman) and move your west spears to Sinope through boat. Send ur deffenses from Asia to Antioch and move ur initial antiochian archer to Tarsus.

Send 2 swordman by galley to raid Crete and further reinforcement on the Italy conquest.
    Raid villages, focus on gold production and have some luck.

gilgames likes this.
  11. Bernd-das-Brot

Bernd-das-Brot Chieftain

Great Mod. Really cool it gets developed further! Thanks Absinthe!:goodjob:

Made one game as Norwegians so far (succesful in 2nd try). Very fun, interesting and diverse but doable UHVs, no bugs.

The one tiny thing that was a bit annoying, was that I had to settle Calabria for the 2nd UHV. Cost me nearly the game as I had not expected to find southern Italy empty. I only brought warriors, no settlers. I think there should be a city from the begining of the game. (Old roman and/or greek settlement. Or were they totally devastated?)

12. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Palermo is ideal to build a settler if you conquer it early enough. you can find strategies for them in old threads

13. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Can we de-link the Vikings UHVs from the Normans, please! Especially since we know have a Sicilian/Neapolitan civ. It is not "one" continuous civilization anyway. Its not like any Norwegian potentate ever held kin or political allegiance over Southern Italy. And anyhow, how the Normans came to power in Southern Italy was as Mercenaries, they didn't arrive with the sole intention of conquering the land.

Jarlaxe Baenre likes this.
  14. caphyre

caphyre Chieftain

Only now I have noticed that vassals of Muscovy are called Guberniyas. That's incorrect because governorates are non-autonomous territories and weren't called by nation-specific names. The same is with Volosts

Here's my suggestion.

For example, Finland under Russian control was called Grand Duchy of Finland and Poland was called Kingdom of Poland (this is translation from Polish, its Russian name is Tsardom of Poland or literally Polish Tsardom).
    I think it would be better to call Muscovian vassals as Kievan/Novgorodian ones or to call them Grand Duchies or/and Tsardoms (in cases with Russian %civname% too).
    Lithuania as a Muscovian vassal may be called Grand Duchy of Vilna (if it controls Vilnius of course).
    Novgorod Land is Novgorodian proper name and should be called Grand Duchy of Novgorod instead of Novgorod Lands.
    Muslim vassals may be called Tsardoms too because the territories of Khanate of Kazan after conquest were known as Tsardom of Kazan before Peter the Great's administrative reforms.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    cmakk1012 and The Turk like this.
  15. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

A couple of random little things:

1) There still seem to be a few Novgorodian placenames missing, like Vyborg and some of the very far north spots for the fur.

2) Any chance Portugal UHV1 could be tweaked? The settle North Africa part seems kind of silly because you can only ever settle unstable territory in Oran that has the regular Ziyyanid revolts (by the time Portugal spawns Morocco has already settled all of Morocco)

Jarlaxe Baenre likes this.
  16. Rafaelito

Rafaelito Chieftain

Has anybody experienced the game crashing after the historical victory?

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Yeah, would have been nice. But in the end I didn't have time to finish the updates before the Christmas period, so my dreams of releasing 1.6 before the new year vanished.
    The work now continues, and I don't have that many things left on my todo list for 1.6, so the release is pretty close.

Publicola likes this.
  18. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Tested religious persecution, and balance seemed ok for me.
    On the big picture (100+ tests with various civs and state religions, against different sized cities, with different number of religions), more than 50% of persecutions succeeded.
    Wasn't the city Jerusalem, by any chance? It has special rules, much harder to persecute from that city.

19. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Yeah, as DC123456789 said that's intentional.
    Didn't code this part yet, but the plan is to add a minor base bonus to relics, which is applied by default if they are in the city (as a unit).
    They can be settled to the much more powerful reliquiary building after the discovery of Monument Building. A small drawback is that they cannot be moved to a different city anymore.

20. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Thanks! Nice to hear you had such a great first experience with the mod!
    Have fun with all the other civs as well :)
    For most independent cities, there are multiple spawn positions.
    This is to add a little variance in city placement, and to be able to represent all important cities in a given area.
    Southern Italy shouldn't be empty (unless the city was razed):
    tNapoli = ( [ ((59, 24), "Neapolis", 40), ((60, 25), "Beneventum", 40), ((62, 24), "Tarentum", 20) ], iIndependent, 2, xml.iArcher, 1, -1, 0 )
    A city spawns in the area in 500AD, 40% chance for Neapolis and Beneventum, 20% for Tarentum.
    This mechanics might not be ideal for some UHVs, but I think the benefits are much greater.

First I mistook the provinces, but now I see that in this case neither of those 3 options are in Calabria (sry if you already knew everything above).
    There might be a new city option with a Calabrian spawn (either in the "Napoli" spawn, or a separate one), but as others already pointed out, the real solution will be to update the UHV itself.
    It's not ideal in it's form, neither for gameplay, nor historically.