{Development Thread} Don't Tread on Me

well after looking at your mod myself, I've isolated the crash problem to the CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml but thats I'll the further I'm going for now, you should be able to find it somewhere in there. Basically if you remove that file it wont crash anymore, but you still have hundreds of other XML errors for missing techs and other things.

I don't know how you are even attempting to debug this in its current state. Even when I get it to stop crashing (delete the mentioned file) I get about 100 error messages for techs that don't exist. You should try fixing up those techs and delete your unit art info and try again AFTER you've fixed all the errors from techs.

EDIT: well I looked at it and tested it more, and I was wrong. I don't think its the unitArtDefines... I don't see anything really glaring out at me, but I do know whatever editor your using you need to delete and then intall notepad++ and never use that old editor again.

It makes these files very hard to read, and not only that it puts all kinds of extra spaces everywhere both in the actual <tag/> part and whole lines for no apparent reason, which actually can cause problems in certain files, I'm not sure exactly which ones other than UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml.

Seeing how theres not a ton there, I'd almost just start fresh and use your old files as a guide, but don't copy and paste.

ps. I might look at it more later, I did it kind of quick as I'm kinda busy already

Well...thanks a lot for helping. :thumbsup: Atleast I know what I have to do now. :cringe:

I can keep all the basic stuff like in the Civilization folder in XML and everything though, yes?

what I would do maybe is add a file or two at a time (and test) until something goes bad, and then whatever that file is, either check it out really well in winmerge, or just build that one file from a bts file and use your old one in notepad++ as a reference. You can view two files side by side (in notepad++)if you go into one of the view options. It'll go much faster if you set civ4's ini to load up your mod every time.

edit: plus it has an excellent "find in file" option that actually works (as opposed to windows search), so for example if you need to find a TXT_KEY_WHATEVER and your text folder looks like this;
Spoiler :

then its really really useful. Same goes for anything, plus it lets you know when you mess up if you pay attention to the colors.

Dutchking, I also second using a good program to edit. Usually I use Microsoft Frontpage. Although there are a few problems here and there, the biggest advantage is that it makes different parts of the coding different colors. For example, tags are purple and comments are grey; or, if you accidentally forget to put the ">" at the end of the tag, all the coding below will automatically turn red, to show that it is incomplete.

Alright guys, thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get this thing working again. :p

Don't look at me.. :Mischief:

I think the British PM at the time would be a good addition, he would be the most logical, even moreso than the King.

Actually not as much as you would think. The king manipulated the PM and Parliament on a regular basis. It wouldn't be until the Victorian era that the Monarchy became largely a figurehead. I bet Queen Victoria was pissed.

Top Bottom