Devolution for England and/or Cornwall?

Devolution for England and/or Cornwall?

• Devolution for England & Cornwall (keep them united)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Devolution for England & Cornwall (divide them)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Devolution for England but not for Cornwall

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Devolution for Cornwall bu not for England

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No devolution

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Other (elaborate)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gangleri2001

Garbage day!!!
So what do you think CFCers? Devolution for England and/or Cornwall yay or nay?

Cornwall should get independence. It is time to stop oppression of freedom-loving Cornwallians by tyrannical régime of London!

I find it a bit odd Cornwall isnt a separate "country" like Wales and Scotland are.

I find it a bit odd Cornwall isnt a separate "country" like Wales and Scotland are.

I think that's because compared to Wales and Scotland, Cornwall was absorbed into the England/Britain much earlier and much more effectively. For instance, before the more recent efforts at reviving it, the Cornish language pretty much died out in the 18th century or something, while Scottish Gaelic and Welsh to a lesser extent are still doing okay nowadays.

^Devolution is a euphemism for the 'more autonomy' granted by late 90s Blair England to the Eparchs of Scotland and Wales (and N.Ireland, i suppose, although there you also had the pesky Unionists in the devolved parliament :) ).

Cornwall is the south-westernmost edge of the larger british isle. Iirc it is around 10 times smaller than Wales.

What about Northumbria? Surely the Yorkists deserve at least as much independence as Cornwall. They certainly have a more distinct cultural identity. They have their own terrier! And a pudding. Cornwall just has a hen, and a small one at that.

Those un-united states of Greater Kingdomness?

Kernow Bys Vykken!

Home of the Stargazy Pie!

Spoiler :

At least it's not hakarl, eh?

Anyway, why everyone has a boner for splitting Great Britain into tiny little kingdoms like Wales and Cornwall and these fake Scottish people in Northumbria? They'd first have to start by gifting back Orkney to it's righteous owner - Norway.

Not convinced Cornwall would be a particularly successful state. It has a GVA far below the average of the United Kingdom and I believe it is worse off when you compare the average of the entire European Union. It recieves a lot of "convergance" funding from the European Union.
The major settlement is...Truro a town of 20,000 people. I'm convinced you need a large city to be a successful modern state.

Speculation here: but i think Cornwall has a high amount of wealthy retired couples. It already haemoraghes economic refugees to the rest of the UK. A Cornwall state would have to cut back an awful lot of state spending just to balance the books without the rest of the UK subsiding them.

Any sense of nationalism is dormant. There is a Cornish language but very few people speak it. The best you get is a sweet looking black + white flag.

At least Scotland can be a pretend-state while there is still oil in the North Sea. I don't hold much hope for them when it runs out. Cornwall has...fishing..

The major settlement is...Truro a town of 20,000 people. I'm convinced you need a large city to be a successful modern state.

Wasn't Salo just a provincial Italian village?

I am hoping that whether we get a Yes vote in Scotland or a No Vote followed by Devo-max (in Scotland) that the devolution of England is then taken into account. A Westminster of 100 MPs overseeing EU stuff etc. with a new English Parliament based in Manchester with the same powers as Holyrood in Scotland. That would do me. Pigs might fly.
As for Cornwall's devolution, there appears to be something in the pipeline. Quite what effect this will have I am not sure:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27132035

Not convinced Cornwall would be a particularly successful state. It has a GVA far below the average of the United Kingdom and I believe it is worse off when you compare the average of the entire European Union. It recieves a lot of "convergance" funding from the European Union.

Speculation here: but i think Cornwall has a high amount of wealthy retired couples. It already haemoraghes economic refugees to the rest of the UK. A Cornwall state would have to cut back an awful lot of state spending just to balance the books without the rest of the UK subsiding them.

Any sense of nationalism is dormant. There is a Cornish language but very few people speak it. The best you get is a sweet looking black + white flag.

At least Scotland can be a pretend-state while there is still oil in the North Sea. I don't hold much hope for them when it runs out. Cornwall has...fishing..

Completely and utterly wrong!

Truro is a city.

I'm concerned the tyrannical lords of Arbitrary Avenue have been oppressing the fine people of Serf Street for far too long. REVOLUTION IS IN THE WORKS!!!

England should go to its right owner: Normandy.

And Normandy to its rightful owner, the Kingdom of Soissons. Then all will be right in the world.

Top Bottom