1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] Devs play at incompetance! (Tamar Game)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Goliht, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

One thing I shall point out is that both the man and the woman say that they have already played this map before, so being "public" and having no time to think can not be an excuse for playing that bad, especially in their second try.

About playing well and explaining mechanisms simutaneously, I suggest watching the video at https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...8-turns-video-strategy-and-discussion.626425/

ZubieMaster likes this.
  2. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

But the whole point of the live stream is to showcase gameplay features, so why do the devs need to play well? What does it matter if they play well or not?

3. Goliht

Goliht Warlord

Well it certainly explains their inability to fix blatently obvious bugs for years.. if they can't even play the game.

4. Lupine

Lupine Chieftain

I personally don’t care if the AI took them to school, I just wanna see footage. Them playing poorly or well doesn’t matter. If I wanna see quality play I will look for a YouTuber. Right now I just want to see the new content so tide me over until I can rape and pillage, I mean rule a civilized empire and growing through peace and prosperity.
    I do feel your pain but I wouldn’t stress about it.

5. Goliht

Goliht Warlord

Not really stressed about the gameplay, the issue for me, is that they expect us to buy the game, buy the dlc's buy the next game down the line and so on.. and their PR.. is playing the game so badly as to be laughable. And yet, still expect people to buy stuff, you look back at pre release videos of them doing the same thing you'll see Pete turning to Ed and saying "Oh that bug, yeh that's fixed in the release version" Yet oddly, "that bug" the swordsman running on the spot, still occurs. This is the issue I have. I would like to see the devs playing a game for 2-3 hours or even a Q&A S/v or Sen Tester, showing a game running for 2-3 hours, it isn't a hard thing to setup. A 2-3 hour game.. they could do that every weekend. With each new civ, let people see the game being played, whilst talking about the civs, the new systems.. but no, we get an hours video, delayed by 15mins at the start whilst they deign to even get on stream, split into 2 sessions of 30mins, where they basically sit down, explain the new mechanics, which frankly you could do with a FAQ.. and do barely little else. And thrown into this.. they look like they've never actually played the game.

If anyone really thinks that any manufacturer or developer should be this bad with their own product.. Well, it boggles me brain! If you actually think you're worth so little.

;) What does stress me tho, is how many of you are just defending them. For the sake of argument.

6. Lupine

Lupine Chieftain

I’m not defending them.
    I am happy they post stuff at all. I do agree with you that a 2-3 hour session of game play with the testers would be awesome. I don’t excuse them for bugs and AI hording units that just sit idly by while at war. There are a lot of issues that need to be addressed.
    If they turn into Paradox and nickel and dime everything, I will have no problem dumping the series. I know a company has to make money to continue to thrive. EA modeling isn’t very popular but I think it is a model companies are moving towards. Pump in out, get the $, if it works great, if not oh well.

Goliht likes this.
  7. Magil

Magil Monarch

Maybe the devs could play somewhat better, but I think expecting them to do something like that is a bit much :p

Japper007 likes this.
  8. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

This seems like a non-issue. Their attention was split between presenting and playing the game. Between the two activities, presenting was far more important.

Not to knock Ed Beach, but he gets way too invested trying to make the right moves when he's in the driver seat during a livestream. I'd rather they stay focused on what they're trying to showcase.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    leandrombraz likes this.
  9. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

It's not easy to talk and play at the same time.

Some Let's Plays have the audio commentary added after the gameplay is done.

10. werothegreat

werothegreat Warlord

Also, this was a save given to them by QA. The hosts didn't get to choose where those cities were settled.

anandus likes this.
  11. Japper007

Japper007 Prince

-EUIV and most Paradox games, the developers even run regular multiplayer stream games with the best players in the world and they don't look awful doing it. Not entirely concidentally, their games are also better balanced and bugs and exploits actually get fixed

-Several people who worked on civ 4 (like Sullla and Syrian) are also still in the top tier of civ 4 players.

-Amplitude, devs are actively testing out balance in multiplayer matches constantly.

On this we agree.

Zuizgond and Thormodr like this.
  12. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

No one here is saying anything "for the sake of argument". The majority is disagreeing with you because they disagree with you. Shouldn't really boggle ye brain, pretty simple really.

13. Gort

Gort Emperor

It doesn't exactly fill you with confidence that they understand the game if they're terrible at it every time they record themselves. This was the same with the Beyond Earth streams, and look how that turned out.

14. hdbhdbvGFG541

hdbhdbvGFG541 Chieftain

This is actually a bigger problem,it directly effects ai and every single balance decisions.
    If the devs are bad the ai will play badly since they are coding it according to their capabilities.
    If the devs are bad any attempt at balance will be useless since they don't know the game.
    In fact i believe if you watch them play enough you would notice similarities with how the ai play,

In the old days dev teams were small enough so that the designer was the one making most of the ai and systems.
    Now,you have teams making games without even playing or even understanding their own systems.

Krajzen, Elhoim, Japper007 and 3 others like this.
  15. Paideia

Paideia Warlord

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2018
  16. anandus

anandus Errorist

Presenting, playing and following the chat as well.
    I'm not too bothered by it.
    Indeed, I'd rather they focus at the gameplay mechanics they want to show off rather than playing well, especially if it's only for a few turns. Who cares?

For balance and feedback there's the QA-team and also the Frankenstein-group (don't know who's in it, though)

CPWimmer, Quintus of Mund and Siptah like this.
  17. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Prince

Hope the unique AI developer guy working at Firaxis plays better than that. Otherwise it would explain why AI is so stupid in Civ6.

18. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

19. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Wait, the engineers at Honda aren't the world's best race car drivers?!?!?!

bbbt, Krajzen, evanaurora and 8 others like this.
  20. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

They have it on autoplay in the studio, doesn't mean it's the only way they test the game. They have an actual Q&A that play the game, the devs themselves play it quite often and they have that "Frankenstein" external group "made up of some of the most hardcore fans of the series who know the game inside and out", as Firaxis describe it.

One thing is to talk about what you're doing, with your focus on what you're playing. Another thing it to be focused on showcasing features, with optimal play taking a backseat. Talking out loud about your strategies and decisions even help to play better, you focus better on the things you're doing, while playing while you talk and think about something else (new features they need to showcase) can be quite a challenge.

Thormodr likes this.