DG PBEM - Game II - Turn Tracker

dutchfire

Deity
Retired Moderator
Please post here after sending the save so the next person knows he's up.

Roster:
fed1943
Churchill 25
dutchfire
donsig

I have sent turn 1 to donsig.

Did you set a password and change your player name?

Did you set a password and change your player name?

Yes, I did. I e-mailed the turn to fed1943 but he replied and said he had some sort of library error. Anyone else ever see that? This is my first [civ4] PBEM so I'm still on a steep learning curve.

Nope, never seen before, try replaying and resending the save. (You need to send the 3xxx BC to fed1943 file)

I tried 4 times and always the same.

As I said I know nothing of computers. I replaced "my name" from player one
to fed1943. The save sent to me was "to player 1". Can this be the problem?

I'll wait for a resend; if still not working,what must I do,please?

Best regards,

Is the save "3880 BC to player 1"?

All right, I guess I just don't know what I'm doing. I start up [civ4], choose multi-player, choose play by e-mail, choose load game, pick the save dutchfire sent me, put in the password Conroe sent me, go to your details and enter stuff (I'm not using donsig and change everything except STMP server), play my turn...

then what? If I go to save then I don't get the blah, blah, blah to player 1 name. If I press enter, I still don't get that right name. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Civ III PBEM is much easier.

I do a different way:
Put the CD into drive;when it pops,press exit;then, go to the save,download
and open it;then play the turn;after end turn,leave the game;in the saves
directory is now the "save to (next player)", attach it to the email to him and send.
(A grocer tech,but it works).
Best regards,

then what? If I go to save then I don't get the blah, blah, blah to player 1 name. If I press enter, I still don't get that right name. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
I'm not sure that I follow you ... but after you press Enter to end your turn, you should get a dialog box that says something to the effect of "the save has been placed in your PBEM folder". You then click the OK button and send that save on to the next player (I presume fed1943). The save will be located under the "\My Games\Civ4\Saves\pbem\DG2 PBEM" folder. It is not necessary for you to go do a save yourself. The end turn function creates the save.

If that save has the wrong name on it, then that player has yet to change their name.

I'm not sure that I follow you ... but after you press Enter to end your turn, you should get a dialog box that says something to the effect of "the save has been placed in your PBEM folder".

I get a little message at the bottom of the screen saying waiting for next player or something like that. I'll try fed1943's method of just opening the save.

Well, fed1943's method does not give a different result. I don't get a dialogue box when I press enter to end my turn. I just get a flashing message on the bottom of the map about waiting for other civilizations. I'm at a loss here guys. Should I e-mail the save to a nuetral party (Conroe?) to see if they can figure it out?

Maybe you could meet someone on IM / chat to talk through what it's doing.

Also, I'll throw together a quick demonstration 1v1 and send it to the same address we're using for the cage match. That way you can post screenies without them being spoilers.

Well, fed1943's method does not give a different result. I don't get a dialogue box when I press enter to end my turn. I just get a flashing message on the bottom of the map about waiting for other civilizations. I'm at a loss here guys. Should I e-mail the save to a nuetral party (Conroe?) to see if they can figure it out?

You should wait a bit when the waiting for other civs thing appears. All the calculations to enter the next turn (eg barbarian moves/appearances) are done after the last player (you) played. That's probably what's taking some time.

You should wait a bit when the waiting for other civs thing appears. All the calculations to enter the next turn (eg barbarian moves/appearances) are done after the last player (you) played. That's probably what's taking some time.

I waited 20 minutes and still the "waiting for other civililzations" message just keeps flashing.

I tried the test game DaveShack sent. This is a screen I do not see with the tourney save:

The password entering screen is also different:

I also do get the dialogue box for the save in the test game when I press enter:

Conroe said I could e-mail him the saves so I'll do that and also wait to see if these screenies generate any more tips.

Conroe said I could e-mail him the saves so I'll do that and also wait to see if these screenies generate any more tips.
I had a look at the save (DG2_PBEM_BC_3940_to_Player4.Civ4SavedGame) that DutchFire sent to Donsig. And I have no clue what the problem is. But, I'm pretty certain that it isn't anything that Donsig has done wrong. As I'm getting the same results that he is reporting.

I can move the units, found the city, and then press the end of turn button. It then says "waiting for other civilizations" and nothing else happens. No dialog box about sending the save. And it does NOT create the save for the next player.

I also went back to the original save that you all started with. I went through all 4 player's turns several times without a hitch. In fact, the "waiting for other civs" message just flashes briefly on the screen. If you didn't know to look for it, you wouldn't even see it.

So, still some hope for this game?
Or, delete it and create a new one for us to play?
Best regards,

Fed1943 sent me a copy of the save that he sent to Churchill. I was able to successfully press "end turn" through the other 3 players turns and create the save back to Fed1943 that we couldn't do with donsig's save. There was NO endless loop "waiting for other civ". This leads me to believe that whatever happened to our save happened to either Churchill or Dutchfire. Did either of you two have any problems?

Top Bottom