1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DG4 Discussion: Do you plan to participate?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: Citizens' started by DaveShack, Oct 25, 2003.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

There has been a lot of good discussion on DG4 so far, but I'm not seeing questions asked about anticipated participation levels. I think it is very important to get this rolling now before we work on structure of the government, because it is critical to know how many people will be involved and if they see any showstopper issues. ;)

• Do you plan to participate in DG4?
    • If yes, is this no matter what, or are there any conditions you need to see fulfilled to ensure your participation?
    • If yes, to what degree do you plan to get involved? Running for elected office? As an appointed official? As an active citizen? As a passive citizen, other?
    • If you're undecided, or not planning on participating in DG4, what things are pushing you away, and/or what things are missing that would lure you in?

To get started, I'll answer with
    • Yes :D
    • It's pretty definite, but depends on situation at home, and I'd say that a precondition is having enough good opportunities for meaningful participation. This has never been a problem for me, but wanted to mention that a reduction in number of available positions might push me away.
    • Will almost certainly run for office as soon as I'm sure the home and/or work situation won't prevent me from performing my duties. Otherwise plan to be active citizen unless I'm completely slammed and can't participate at all.

Please feel free to add additional questions and answers if you feel they will help.

2. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

• Do you plan to participate in DG4? Oh Yes
    • If yes, is this no matter what, or are there any conditions you need to see fulfilled to ensure your participation? Active participation by as many people as possible. I play this DG out of enjoyment and fun, both in game and out of the game.
    • If yes, to what degree do you plan to get involved? Running for elected office? As an appointed official? As an active citizen? As a passive citizen, other? I am desiring several official positions I haven't had before. My first goal is President of DG1 term 1. After that I will run for other offices. I do like to become military leader some day, although some people who've previously held this office seem to think of it of their exclusive domain.
    • If you're undecided, or not planning on participating in DG4, what things are pushing you away, and/or what things are missing that would lure you in? Sometimes this game is missing speed. I dislike Plays where less than 5 turns are played. I do know that that sometimes cannot be prevented, but I still dislike it.

3. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Of course.
    • If yes, is this no matter what, or are there any conditions you need to see fulfilled to ensure your participation?

I will be here no matter what, as it is my goal as moderator to have DG4 rival our very first DemoGame. Lofty goal indeed, but I don't think that it is impossible. I will be watching this thread very closely to see what I can do to make this game better for all.
    • If yes, to what degree do you plan to get involved? Running for elected office? As an appointed official? As an active citizen? As a passive citizen, other?

I will be mostly behind the scenes in the beginning, making sure that we are putting forth the best effort possible. My goal is to rival the GOTM in participation and organization.
    • If you're undecided, or not planning on participating in DG4, what things are pushing you away, and/or what things are missing that would lure you in?

Nothing would really push me away, although sometimes the lack of participation is disheartening. So, once again...I ask that everyone please post your ideas or grievances here so we can fix that.

4. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

1) But of course
    2) It's definite, but I'll run into some problems from that pesky bug called RL, of course. If it starts in January, expect me to disapear the last week due to Regents. If in November, the week prior to thanksgiving for Shrew. Ect, Ect, but I'll be here.
    3) FA Head. I like that officie, especially the first term :p. But seriously, I like the FA Office and I'll grab another term there. And of course, we can all expect a city named Penguinsomething. (Hmm.. why not that? Of course, It'll depend on the civ)
    4) Only thing that would push me away would be if we suddenly added a crapload of new laws that were to be put into play (I'm talking of a 4th book or something)

5. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

Of course. What else would I do with my spare time? :D

No matter what. I'll play along with whatever decisions others make.

Assuming I can get Civ3 up and running again, I do plan to run for office.

Doughnuts.

6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
      Yes, of course
      No Bickering about the PIs and junk
      Runing for an Elected office

What mainly is pushing me away is losing in the Elections to a Bigger Name than I am. What is missing is Mar... ...Oh wait Mara is in there :D

7. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

1) Do you plan to participate in DG4?

Maybe

4) If you're undecided, or not planning on participating in DG4, what things are pushing you away, and/or what things are missing that would lure you in?

I wouldn't mind being a part of things as a citizen if information is made available on the forums. I walked away from DG3 for awhile because of added responsibilities at work and no internet connection at home. Work is easier to handle now but I still do not have time to look at the save. I can post here and there but without looking at the save one really has no clue what is going on in our country. So my posting time has been devoted to DG4 discussions. If someone can come up with a reasonably easy system of getting game info out there I'd love to post and vote as a citizen.

I'd probably also get drawn into DG4 if local elections / politics was tried. (Mayors setting build queues, controlling their own workers, elected by citizens who live in the city, etc.) PTW would also be nice, especially if we could name units (like workers!).

If I did get time to view the save I might like to run a newspaper. I had great fun in DG2 with Die Fanatischen Zeiten and would like to try that sort of thing without all the book-keeping and gold making of the old RPG. I'm a bit wary of the idea now that there is a proposal for a history department. If there's room for a government history department and a free press style rag then I'd happily become a DG Journalist if I have the time. :)

8. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

Do you plan to participate in DG4?
    Of course.

If yes, is this no matter what, or are there any conditions you need to see fulfilled to ensure your participation?
    I'm pretty sure that I will participate basically no matter what, but participation may drop a bit because of school, RL, my parents getting fed up with me spending hours on the computer every day, etc. If the game begins to die (as has stricken many DG's recently, unfortunately) my participation will also drop.

If yes, to what degree do you plan to get involved? Running for elected office? As an appointed official? As an active citizen? As a passive citizen, other?
    I do plan on running for elected office, though I'm not sure what offices I might run for.

If you're undecided, or not planning on participating in DG4, what things are pushing you away, and/or what things are missing that would lure you in?
    Anything that might cause a drop in participation is listed in question 2.

9. deshelbr

deshelbr International Playboy

Absolutely.

If yes, is this no matter what, or are there any conditions you need to see fulfilled to ensure your participation?

I will play along under any conditions.

If yes, to what degree do you plan to get involved? Running for elected office? As an appointed official? As an active citizen? As a passive citizen, other?

I plan to phase in and out of official/active/passive roles as time allows and real life responsibilities arise.

10. Vander

Vander Privateering in Idaho

Participate?
    Yes, No Matter what.

Position(s)?
    Sure.

Short and Sweet.

11. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

• Do you plan to participate in DG4?YES
    • If yes, to what degree do you plan to get involved? Running for elected office? As an appointed official? As an active citizen? As a passive citizen, other?Yes, I liked to be FA Leader so i will be looking forward to repeat that Office, then I would like to be Science Leader, who knows.., but never president, I don't have the time for that. :)

12. conehead234

conehead234 Braves on the Warpath

I'm going to participate

13. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

That's what I thought...I didn't think I could find times to play 3-6 hours straight on the computer reliably, but I managed. :)

14. Sarevok

Sarevok Civ3 Scenario Creator

Damn Right!

Nope, I can join for sure :D

Im plan on trying to being a big man in DG4, probably military, but anything else is good for me :D

15. Ankka

Ankka Deity

I'm gonna be there too.

First maybe just as a citizen, then maybe head for a higher position.

16. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Yes

I've finally got a laptop I can play CivIII so I'm still quite new to the game and getting over the differences between II and III. I wouldn't want to see the game going too slowly or being based to much on chatroom discussions (as I log on when most of the rest of the world are at work or asleep!). I also wouldn't want to see things get too complicated either.

I'd probably start as an active citizen taking part in polls and adding my two-penneth where I feel necessary, then maybe becoming more active as I get more used to the game and how this demogame works (I was a regular in the Presidential seat and Foreign office in CivII demogames 2and 3)

17. naervod

naervod My current user title

Here I go:

• Yes.
    • Not really, just that the rules are not overly complicated, which has never been a problem in my experience.
    • I will be alot more involved than I was in last DG. That was mainly because I was gone all summer and never really got back into it. I will be planning on running for elected office and when I'm elected, finding an appointed job or just being an active citizen.
    • N/A

18. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

1. Yes, I plan to come back to the Demo Game and be better in it. :) Definetly.

2. Nothing Realy, its all good.

3. I will try to run for office this time and be an active citizen if not elected.

4. Well only if school shoots something up my @ss, or someone dies.

19. Noldodan

Noldodan 2 years of waiting...

I can't believe I skipped over this thread...

1) Why, of course I am.
    2) Almost no matter what, if the ruleset is too loose, I'm gone.
    3) Another Governership, of course. Perhaps Domestic Leader later...
    4) *whistles aimlessly*

20. Eklektikos

Eklektikos Eponymous

• Possibly.
    • My main reason for indecision is lack of free time, so if I do participate it will be "no matter what".
    • If I do particpate, I may well run for office in the first two or three terms and then fade back to being a passive citizen thereafter.