1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DG4 Election Schedules

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: Citizens' started by FortyJ, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

Still, I do favor a small period between the end of elections and the start of a new term. I'd say at least 24 hours.

This is for two reasons:

1. Due to posting limits, it's literally impossible for all elections to end at the same time. This will better define the end of a term.

2. A small down-time can be used to clear up any electoral irregularities, just in case.

2. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

OK, I think it's poll time for this one. Here is my (abridged) suggested poll. I will fancy it up when it goes to press. ;)

How shall we alter our election schedule?

1. Keep it the way it is
    2. Shift current schedule 1 day earlier
    3. Shift current schedule 2 days earlier
    4. Shift current schedule 3 days earlier
    5. Abstayne

I could forsee a repeat of the Florida situation if these choices were actually numbered, but that won't be an issue on the actual ballot. ;)

If no one objects, I will post a poll on this Wednesday afternoon EST.

3. zorven

zorven 12,000 Suns

DZ - maybe you should be a little more specific. Does option 4 mean that the whole process starts 3 days earlier and each stage is the same lenght as it is now? Or does is start at the same time it does now and each stage is shorter?

4. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

As I said before, zorven, the actual poll will get into more specifics. However, I have taken your advice and clarified what options 2-4 mean. Keep in mind that there will be even further clarification when I draft the poll tomorrow(including actual dates).

5. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Can we please see the new improved version of the poll before you post it? Also, I think it would be helpful to have an unbiased summary of why we're polling this included in the first post of the poll...

6. zorven

zorven 12,000 Suns

I thought I had posted this earlier, but better late than never. I think the nomination period of 5 days might be too long. I didn't go back and look, but it seemed that most of the activity took place fairly early.

7. donsig

Does the nomination period include giving the nominees time to accept or can acceptance be done after nominations close?

8. zorven

zorven 12,000 Suns

The current nomination period closes when the polls open, so acceptance is done during the period. I guess that is a good reason to keep it at 5 days (for the acceptance). But I still think that the significant activity of nominating and accepting was over pretty early in the process. Maybe I have my "facts" wrong.

9. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Hopefully, you can trust me on this one, donsig. ;)

Actually, I will most likely not have time to do such a thing. Just know that the current process would be shifted a set amount of days, should that measure pass. Right now, nominations run all the way to the beginning of the elections. That will not change.

First post summary? Whatever happened to a link to Relevant Discussion? ;) I will do my best to accomodate your wishes, donsig.

10. donsig

A link to the relevant discussion is all well and good but a summary right there is much better. If you don't have time to do proper polls DZ why not see if there's anyone who can help with the workload? Polling is the life blood of the demo game - and something covered inthe old CoS - we might as well do it right from the start.

@zorven - you may be right that most action takes place in a day or two but what if there's a net problem for a day or so somewhere? what if the forum goes down? I think we're better off giving people more than a day or two to accept. Either that or make it so that all nominations are automatically accepted until formally declined. That way we could have a shorted nomination period.