1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DG4 Rollout - Timeline

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: Citizens' started by FortyJ, Nov 3, 2003.

1. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

Do we even have a timeline for DG4?

I realize that the anticipated start date for the game is 1/1/2004, regardless of the fact that I don't think we should be playing the game on New Years Day unless we're not looking for record participation numbers.

But, what I'm wondering here is if we're going to take the time to supposedly set this game up properly, shouldn't we have a schedule of milestones for each step of the way so that we are sure to take care of everything (or as much as possible) before D-Day?

To that end, I've taken it upon myself to post this timeline of events leading up to the kickoff of DG4. If one of my dates is incorrect, I'll change it or if I've left anything out, I'll try to add it later (or perhaps one of the mods can edit the post and include it themselves).

<><><><><>

Countdown to Demogame IV

DG-IV Forums Open for Business: 1-Dec-03

DG-IV Citizen Registration Begins: 1-Dec-03

DG-IV Ruleset Completed; Review Begins: 1-Dec-03

DG-IV Game Settings/Options & Civ Discussion: 10-Dec-03

DG-IV Game Settings/Options Defined, Civ Chosen: 15-Dec-03

DG-IV Ruleset Adopted: 23-Dec-03

DG-IV Nominations Begin: 24-Dec-03 *

DG-IV Debates Begin: 26-Dec-03 *

DG-IV Polls Open: 29-Dec-03 *

DG-IV Polls Close: End of Day, 31-Dec-03 *

DG-IV Term 1 Begins: 1-Jan-03

DG-IV First Turn Chat: ???

*Based on most recent ruleset and subject to change

2. Eklektikos

Eklektikos Eponymous

You seem to have left out any mention of the decision as to game settings and choice of civ :mischief:

3. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Great post, 40J. Along with the many settings that Eklektikos has mentioned, your timeline points out that we only have 5 weeks to get our ruleset squared away. That's not a lot of time, considering we can't seem to get past the bickering and whining over specific line-item details when we're working on general structure agendas. :)

I say we adopt this timeline (entwining the options brought up by Ek) and focus on what we need to get done. Donovan Zoi is doing a good job keeping the ball rolling (anyone seen Ravensfire?), but this timeline gives us a visual perspective of our current status.

As far as a start date goes, we might want to push it back until 01/03/03. That would be a Saturday and more people might attend. Friday night might work.

4. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I dont like thre timeline on this. I would rather that we see the election cycle go the way they were as in DG1 2 and 3.

5. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

@Ek: Good point. I've updated the timeline accordingly. Of course, feel free to critique the date I have chosen for that task. ;)

@Cyc: Another good point. I think Saturday would prove better also. Date changed.

@CG: The reasons for the extended election period are 1) we have ample time, and 2) the extra days will allow everyone sufficient time to celebrate the holidays with minimal interference from DG obligations. Of course, I don't pretend to have the final say in this, so if there are others that would like to shorten the process up over those holidays, I'll be glad to oblige.

6. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

This timeline works for me, but at the rate we're going with constitutional discussion, I'd beginning to think that we're not gonna have a constitution by then...

7. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Thanks for doing this, Forty. It was something I had planned to do last week, but RL issues at both work and home ruled the days.

It is uncanny how close your timeline mirrors my intended post. I am however planning to keep our current election dates and use that extra time to flesh out our ruleset if we need it. My main reason is that I really don't want to put a special rider in our Code of Procedures for "the holiday election cycle." ;)

Also, when I decided on our New Years starting date, I was expecting that our first chat would not be on the 1st. I can't think of a time in recent memory that we have done that, plus we need the traditional 2-3 days discussion to plan our first move. :D

Thanks for the kind words, Cyc. It sure makes it alot easier on me when everyone participates. I hope you(and many others) stick around for this entire process. As far as the bickering and whining, I will try my best to mediate certain threads so that we are not totally derailed by the vocal minority. ;)

And fret not, Octavian. Once we poll certain key points, I believe the law writing will be much easier. We have a lot of pans on the fire right now, and most of them will be hot enough for poll soon enough. Also, in the next few days, I will be posting(and stickying) the DG2 Three Books with the writing in red. As we adopt a new law, I will replace the obsolete law with the new in black text. This will take a bit of formatting on my WordPad, as the
    Code:
     function is currently doling out the single file paragraphs.  :rolleyes:  But I think it will help to keep our eye on the prize.

Thanks again, Forty.  I will post my suggested timeline shortly, but I have a some catching up to do in other threads first.  ;)

8. GenMarshall

I hope that aftter this timeline, the Election scedual will return to the traditional scedual.

BTW, I am in charge of the Election office ;).

9. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

OK, here is my suggested timeline for the DG4 rollout. Please let me know what you think.

DG-IV Forums Open for Business: 1-Dec-03

DG-IV Citizen Registration Begins: 1-Dec-03

DG-IV Ruleset Completed; Review Begins: 10-Dec-03

DG-IV Game Settings/Options Discussion, Civ Discussed: 10-Dec-03

DG-IV Game Settings/Options Polled, Civ Polled: 15-Dec-03

DG-IV Ruleset Review Completed; Ruleset Adopted: 24-Dec-03

DG-IV Nominations Begin: 24-Dec-03

DG-IV Debates Begin: 26-Dec-03

DG-IV Nominations Close / Elections Begin: 29-Dec-03

DG-IV Elections Close: End of Day, 31-Dec-03

DG-IV First Turn Chat: 3-Jan-03

This timeline gives us:

a. 5 days to discuss and choose our Game Options.

b. A two-week Ruleset Review period, which will give us a chance to work through any issues regarding conflicting or ambiguous rules.

c. Our regular election schedule, should this standard remain in our ruleset.

d. The inclusion of debates in the schedule. I will be opening a discussion on changing our debate structure sometime this month.

10. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

I would rather we dedicate more time to the review of the ruleset. Can we target a completion/review start date of 1-Dec?

I would also like to address the issue of the election schedule. Under the current schedule, there is no time for runoff elections and in some tighter races, we won't discover the winner until they actually take office.

I'd much rather see us start the elections 48-72 hours earlier, which would allow ample time for run-off elections, plus it would give the winners a couple of days to prepare their official posts and get their office in order before the term actually starts.

11. GenMarshall

The Timeline looks alright to me :).

And as the Owner of the Chat Office. I will make it an exception for just that Election to be 24 Hours earlyer. Then the Election Cycle will have to go to its triditional scedual :).

Also come to think of it. It would be easyer on the Election staff to avoid having to post the Election Materials on Christmas Eve. Who knows, some may have family and would travel.

12. zorven

zorven 12,000 Suns

I know this isn't the thread for this discussion, but I support having the elections end before the end of the month. I would rather see if we can shrink the overall process time, otherwise we would do like FortyJ says and just start the whole process earlier.

13. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Yes, but it will mean that we have to start making great strides immediately. I would rather devote more time to the actual writing of the laws, but I also like aiming for the 1st because we can always revert back to the 10th if we fall behind.

Consider it done. :)

This is an interesting concept, but I am not going to alter my timeline just yet(notice that point c is conditional on an upcoming discussion). I will soon open a thread on the electoral process, and you can present your ideas there. :)

If we are in agreement, what do think of editing the first post with what we have discussed and I'll sticky the thread? This way, if there are any changes then either you or I can edit the timeline.

14. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

I have posted a new thread on the Election Cycle Proposal. Feel free to participate in that discussion.

@DZ: I have updated the Timeline with your schedule. Of course, I holding out against hope that we can move the election schedule up a few days, but for now, I'll leave it consistent with the rulesets of previous demogames.

15. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

@Forty- I have now stickied the thread, and have further edited the first post so that readers know that the proposed election dates aren't etched in stone.

Now, let's write some laws! :whipped: :D

16. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Can we move start of nominations back to Dec 23rd. I'm thinking about people who won't be able to get online on the 24th. Don't move any of the post 25th dates, just the pre 25th ones. This elongates nominations by one day, but since there is no preceeding play to interfere it shouldn't cause any problems.

Also don't see it would hurt to start the options / civ discussions earlier. Some settings may affect the rules / procedures, especially the map size option which could affect how big provinces should be.

Can I open the registration thread? :D

17. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

First of all, thanks DZ for sticking this thread to the top of the forum. I hope it serves us well throughout the pre-start stages of DGIV.

Also, DaveShack, I didn't change the date nearly 3 weeks ago, because I half figured we'd be well on our way to defining our new rules long before that day approached and those dates may change as a result of those rules anyway. However, now I'm less certain....

Finally, I just wish to report that with precisely 7 days remaining until our first projected deadline, we have yet to make much progress to date. If we sincerely hope to have the entire ruleset completed before the 24th of December (exactly 1 month away), we should probably strive to have the Constitution hammered out within the next week or so.

Please do not interpret this report as a criticism of the discussions taking place. On the contrary, I believe they have been quite productive. However, I think we have come up with a number of good ideas and they have been debated extensively already. Perhaps we should go ahead and begin polling some of these proposals so we can move on.

18. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Where does game creation fit into the time line? Does that happen at the first (and I shudder to use the term) chat or will the game be created prior to the first (shudder) chat?

19. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

You cold? ;)

That hasn't been decided yet, donsig.

I propose that we start a discussion thread for the purpose of determining how long and under which format we should discuss the issue of the game creation. Then we should conduct a poll between the numerous proposed formats and timelines (maybe two separate polls? we'd better poll that too).

Then, based on the results of the preliminary poll(s), we should open a discussion to determine when we should create the game, followed by a poll to finally settle the matter once and for all.

I might also suggest that we form a committee to ensure the validity of this process and authorize that committee with veto power which would require us to start over again if the committee members felt it necessary to do so.

Or, we could just create the game in the first official (shudder) turn chat.

;)

Perhaps we could open a new discussion thread to determine when that should happen and then another thread to discuss how to poll the topic and then poll that decision

20. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity