1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DG4 Start date?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: Citizens' started by DaveShack, Oct 10, 2003.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

My Fellow Fanaticans,

If my calculations are correct, we will have the capability to launch our spaceship prior to the end of the current term, unless a full-scale invasion, nuclear strike, or other disasterous event catches us unprepared. The only remaining variable is a supply of Aluminimum, which will become visible in 4 turns. Of course, this is assuming we don't want to milk the game -- I for one would think that is far too tedious, but gotta leave the possibility open... [cow]

When should DG4 start? We have considerable work to do with getting a fresh ruleset decided, and there are all the discussions of starting conditions, civ to play, tentative victory condition, and elections.

It does not look doable to start the beginning of November. Do we want to have 6 weeks of prep to start December 1st, or wait until the new year? Or do we want to cram the prep into this month and start November in a new game? Or do something radical and start on the 15th?

Entering the discussion of when to start are several considerations, in no particular order:

• End of school terms
    • Release of Conquests
    • Holidays
    • Time to recover from burnout

2. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

I think we should start December 1. This will give us plenty of time to come up with a finalized, completed ruleset and other things, and may give some of us a bit of a break until we start again on the first of December. If everything was completed, I wouldn't be opposed to starting on November 15 if we had everything ready by then, and we could move elections to close on the 15th if we wanted to. However it may be better and less time-consuming to wait until December 1.

3. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

I agree, December 1st seems okay to start.

4. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

We'll have sufficient time if we start December 1.

Can we start nominations and elections the last week of November?

5. Bootstoots

Yeah, we can start nominations and elections before the game started so that the new officials are in place by December 1, like we did at the beginning of this game.

6. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

In looking at the big picture, I believe we would have to wait until CFC's involvement in the Multi-Site Demogame comes to an end. If not, we would have to have two Demogame Forums, to include sub-forums, going at the same time. We might want to work on this issue before we make any final assumptions.

7. Sarevok

Sarevok Civ3 Scenario Creator

8. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

That is a good point, and it raises several questions. How long do you think the MSDG will last? We don't want to wait too long, but if the people who have been diverted there returned to DG4 and the current DG3 players stayed, it would help with our participation problem. The 2nd question is, would MSDG players return to a DG4?

9. Sarevok

10. Vander

Vander Privateering in Idaho

The Multi Site DemoGame. It's a group of us CFC'ers that are playing against other sites that do demogames. We are China in Play the World. If you are interested in joining, check out the Sub forum on the main page for the MSDG.

11. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

I believe that if I ask Thunderfall real nice, he can transfer the continuing MSDG to the DG4 forum when it is opened.

I would like to see how the rest of this term goes before we start thinking of a date. As a matter of fact, I am a bit more partial to beginning on January first. This way no one will be distracted during the holiday season, plus it will give us ample time to thoroughly hash out a new set of laws.

Most importantly, I kind of like the sound of:

DG4 in '04 :D

I am going to start participating in the various DG4 threads so that we can steer ourselves toward either deadline.

12. Sarevok

13. Lynx

Lynx Prince

what? i just joined this and its already almost over?

14. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Hang in there, Lynx, and welcome! :) You arrived just in time to witness the building of our spaceship. After that, there will be a brief hiatus while we prepare for the next game.

15. Sarevok

16. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

You know, the current MSDG forum was transferred here from the old DG2 forum. Personally, I'd like to see the MSDG in it's own independent forum... ;)

RE: MSDG runtime: I do know the current PBEM team game at Apolyton has been running for around a year, and we're at 290 AD. I'd give the MSDG a good year more.

17. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

If your goal is to wave us goodbye in our lift-off, you're early.

18. Sarevok

19. Bootstoots

We already have two Demogame forums going. I don't think we should delay just because of the MSDG; we've functioned very well with it going on during the last part of DG2 and DG3. Plus, we may be waiting up to a year to play the new game under that proposal. And I think we can get TF to move the forum over to the new DG forums when they come online.

We should start when we are ready. If we're ready to start by December 1, we should start then, if not we should wait until January 1, 2004.

20. Sarevok