DG5 anyone? How should planning be organized?

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
Do we want to proceed with a DG5 after this one finishes?

What are your thoughts on how it should be organized? I for one would like to shift emphasis from legal matters to game matters.

Ask the questions in the following order:

First question: Do we have a DG5?

Second question: Which game - Vanilla, PtW or Conquests?

Third question: Variant-based, or stock game?

Fourth question: Core structure of the game (offices, duties, etc) without getting into legal garbage

Fifth question: Copy from existing DG (dg1/2/3/4) or start anew?

-- Ravensfire

ravensfire said:

-- Ravensfire

Absolutely take the DG4 system. It makes the most sense to keep refining an existing system rather than re-invent the wheel for every demogame. I believe you can see the problems caused by implementing a completely new system by looking at the first halves of DG3 and DG4.

mayb we should even modify an ealier ruleset like the dg2 or sometin, I would prefer ptw or conquests(since they have many better things)
maybe we should also play on emperor to make the game more interesting. another idea is an island game...

Been a while since I posted. Well, I'm back now. As I see it, we just need to take the route that will get us the greatest participation. That's been our biggest problem in the DG since mid-DG2. Everything else goes better when we have more participation.

Yes to DG5.
C3C.
Variant.
Abstain.
DG4 rules.

@Variant: How about a 1CC ? This reduces the amount of Governors needed. And people still can name units instead of cities. It keeps the TC's down in time and complexity, so we can focus more and better on game-stuff and discuss deeper. We have to adjust the map to that, for instance Tiny with about 9, 10, 11 or 12 opponents. Map: Archipelago. Only victory condition: Conquest or Space or Diplo.

ravensfire said:

Fourth question: Core structure of the game (offices, duties, etc) without getting into legal garbage

-- Ravensfire

1. Absolutely!
2. C3C
3. Variant
4. Same as DG4
5. DG4

ravensfire said:

Yes.

Conquest for sure....

Variant

Mix, all the DG games all together somehow, or doesn't matter...

Maybe a new or try to mix all them together. If this doesn't work, DG4 then...actually, I don't care...:D

Plus what civ shall we pick during the game. Name one for each CIV (Vanilla, PTW, or Conquests)

Vanilla - Russia
PTW - Ottomans
C3C - Ottomans

Noldodan said:
Been a while since I posted. Well, I'm back now. As I see it, we just need to take the route that will get us the greatest participation. That's been our biggest problem in the DG since mid-DG2. Everything else goes better when we have more participation.
I couldnt agree more with you on that one.

Noldodan said:

That I agree with...

ravensfire said:

-- Ravensfire

1. Of course!

2. Doesn't really matter to me, though we may want to do Conquests for a change.

3. I tend to favor standard games without variants, but I wouldn't object too much if we use a variant like OCC or 5CC.

4. Yes, keep that structure intact. Of course, governors can be eliminated if we go for a OCC or 5CC.

5. Primarily DG4 rules, but we should modify them in areas that created problems for us during this game.

hmmm Civs....
Vanilla : Persia or America
PTW : Ottomans
Conqests: Ottomans or Byzantines(If Archipelago)
Who doesnt have the Conquests???

hehe, the last turnchat isn't even over yet, and we're already discussing. :) Anyway, I suppose we'll start the "next world" threads soon...

What I'd really like is that instructions aren't forbidden to be given during the TC, but I still want to keep it a forum-based game. That seems contradictionary, but it can be complementary, if proper rules for when and how are formulated.
I've thought about part of that and these are the first results:

- An instructionposter who has posted reasonable instructions can make minor adjustments during the game.
<examples> Military can adjust scouting jobs to attack a barb camp. - Governor can adjust a buildqueue when barbarians turn up close to an undefendable city (let's say settler queued changed to spear) - F&L can approve additional cashrushes / upgrades if another leader requests this (if a rush is urgently needed) - T&T can respond to appearing good trade opportunities if they weren't foreseen (new civ met, extra Iron pops up) - T&T can change research-queue (huts popped give extra techs, newly met civs have the tech currently researched on offer).

If the office-holder (or replacement) hasn't posted instructions, has posted unreasonable instructions or isn't present he/she forfeits this right to make minor adjustments.

I agree with this. It especially helps in the early game so that you don't have to stop after every little random event the RNG throws at you.

BTW, you forgot something else - the world preferences. That goes right along with the other stuff, and including, "Do we want to play with a modded game?".

I'm for a napoleon era scenario

Top Bottom