DG5: End it now?

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
We are now one turn away from completing the UN and the first vote for Secretary General. Should we hold this vote immediately, or take some actions first?

The FA official estimate:

Tokugawa has 4 definite votes (Japan, France, America, Aztecs) and one probable vote (Babylon).

Mao has 1 definite vote (China).

The remaining 3 are possible abstains, possible votes for Mao (Iroquois, Zulu, Russia). I'm leaning toward thinking Russia will definitely abstain since they have lost significant territory to both China and us. This means we can't possibly lose, though it's not completely certain that we win. There is a chance the vote could be inconclusive and we play on for a while.

I say do it. A Diplomatic victory is second only to a Culture win in terms of a civilized, progressive way to win the game. By recieving a mandate from the other nations of the world, we solidify our place as the leader of the world; and we do it in a way that shows our willingness to do so with democracy and fairness. Considering we reach almost every decision for Japanatica with a vote, it seems only right that we do the same to win the game.

Another reason for the Diplo win is that interest in the game seems to be rapidly waning. I hope this is partially due to the holiday season, but there is still the fact that less and less people are paying attention to Japanatica. A quick resolution seems a necessity if we don't want to end up with a census of 3 people next term.

This is the thing - with a diplomatic victory, you can't really hold a definite victory chat. The votes could go either way. Hold a 'victory chat' next, but if we don't win, play 11 turns and have another one, and another, etc...

There is a majority (not a very big one but a majority nonetheless) who agree that a diplomatic victory, and soon, is the right way to go. This would be a victory for peace, in a game where we primarily refrained from unprovoked aggression in contrast to a majority of the previous demogames which were more warlike.

The primary point here is that there is a fairly high probability that the vote will go our way without doing anything else. No manipulation of the vote, no gifts, no excessively one-sided trades in our allies' favor. Our past actions may now stand on their own merit.

So, do we want to chance letting a vote happen without the benefit of backstabbing our enemies and pandering to our allies? I for one would like to see if our good deeds of the past will be rewarded.

There are two things I want you to notice in the pic below. First Odawara has made the list and is now eligible for a Camelot Award! This pic will also appear in the Ministry of Culture thread. The second thing is that we have dropped to number two in popularity (Approval Rating). This is not a good sign moments before a UN Chairman vote. Could be trouble....

Good or bad - I say we roll the dice and go for it. We've played as nice world citizens for the most part.

-- Ravensfire

DaveShack said:
So, do we want to chance letting a vote happen without the benefit of backstabbing our enemies and pandering to our allies? I for one would like to see if our good deeds of the past will be rewarded.

I quite agree. Ever since the Roman conquests, we have held true to the concepts of peace and prosperity for all. I would like to see if the rest of the world recognizes our achievements, and if they are willing to grant us victory based on those same achievements.

Let's refrain from destroying another civilization just for the benefit of securing the vote. We're so close to finishing the game. I, for one, would not what is possibly our last Turnchast turn into a last-minute genocide.

Cyc said:
There are two things I want you to notice in the pic below. First Odawara has made the list and is now eligible for a Camelot Award! This pic will also appear in the Ministry of Culture thread. The second thing is that we have dropped to number two in popularity (Approval Rating). This is not a good sign moments before a UN Chairman vote. Could be trouble....

Three out of the top 5 cities, and in a relatively peaceful game where we didn't go out of our way to wipe out many rival capitals! There should be a celebration for that accomplishment alone, regardless of whether the world recognizes us now or later!
:dance: :hatsoff: :clap: [party] :dance:

As for approval rating, this is our own citizen's approval and can be improved back to 1st by reducing useless science and spending the money on additional luxury items.

End it now. I'm already waiting to get rolling head-first into DGVI. :D

And, DS is right. Diplomatically, approval rating isn't worth a dime. I think there's an article in the war academy that explains how those numbers are calculated...

*Yaaawwn* Ok, fine. Let's do the vote. And if we don't win, do it till we do. I'm too excited.

Hey, do we get a continental breakfast here, or do we have to pay for that too?

Cyc said:
The second thing is that we have dropped to number two in popularity (Approval Rating). This is not a good sign moments before a UN Chairman vote. Could be trouble....

As DS said, it's our own people's popularity, so doesn't really make much of a difference. What would be ironic is we lose the vote :lol:

As long as you don't make it during the Superbowl, :D I'm fine with your choice.

blackheart said:
As DS said, it's our own people's popularity, so doesn't really make much of a difference. What would be ironic is we lose the vote :lol:
if we lose the vote, I would spend a good 15 minutes laughing :lol:

Top Bottom