1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DG5 Tradational Government Constitution

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game V: Citizens' started by Strider, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Here is my proposed constitution and supporting laws of my modified DG5 government.

2. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Here is the modified Code Of Laws.

The Polling Standards still need some work. It will be difficult to make them clear and defined without making the format confusing. I plan on going into more detail later, but I'm going to have to think over it.

3. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I made the following edits to the Constitution:

Made changes to Section G.1 stating that Nominations will start 8 days before the end of the month, instead of at the 24th of the month. Much more exact and makes sure we have the same amount of time for each election process. Also adjusted debates and elections to basicly the same thing.

Made changes to Section Q.1 seperating the Naming of Units and Cities. The discussion is still not decided, so it's not going to stay that way, but that will be the basic layout for now.

Made changes to Article P. allowing citizens to demand a elected official to supply more information for a discussion or poll.

4. YNCS

YNCS Ex-bubblehead

Strider,

In the Government Structure, Branches & Duties thread, I made some recommendations for corrections to your proposed constitution.

5. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Saw it, and made the edits. Thank You. :goodjob:

6. Civanator

Civanator Deity

Gotta change some Japanatica's in the CoL, Article G:

CoL Article G - Formation of new Provinces
    All land that is not within or surrounded by the Cultural Boundaries of another nation may be considered as part of the $COUNTRY_NAME Nation. In the beginning of the game, a default Province shall be established and a Governor installed by election therein. This First Province shall contain all lands that are part of the $COUNTRY_NAME Nation until other Provinces are formed, and has at its Capital the First Established City. Territories shall be formed by the House devising "Boundary Lines" within established Provinces. Ratification by the People is required before these boundaries have effect. The minimum size of these Territories should be a space large enough to fit 3 cities at full Temple Radius. Once a Territory has at least three (3) towns or has at least 50% of the land within the entire territory under $COUNTRY_NAME's Cultural Borders, then it becomes a Full Province with its own Governor. Until this happens, administration of towns within the territory are retained by the Governors of their respective former Provinces. Administration of New Towns formed before the limit is achieved will be under the control of the Domestic Minister. Governors of new Provinces will be appointed by the President, under recommendations from the Domestic Minister. These appointments will last only until the end of the current term, and be subject to Section G of the Code of Laws. Provincial Boundaries may be readjusted with consent of the affected Governors and the House.

in Article B, CoL:
    Position at the end of the article is spelled wrong. Need to transpose the "i" and the "s".

Now I'll scan for anything unclear or other errors.

Overall it's splendid work though.

7. Ashburnham

Ashburnham King

It looks good to me. If we decide to use a "traditional government" for DG6, I think we've found the document we'll use. Good work, Strider.

8. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I am currently thinking about also making another "book," bring back the Code of Standards from the past DG's. The purpose of this would be to lay down guidelines for the Election Office, Judiciary, etc.

Basicly, it will say what Judicial Revies and Citizen Complaints are, but allow almost all of the fine tuning to the Judiciary (More or less, it will say that the Judiciary must include procedures for Judicial Reviews and Citizen Complaints and that's about all).

The polling standards will also be moved into this third book.

Any Comments?

9. YNCS

YNCS Ex-bubblehead

I think we all appreciate the work you're putting into this, Strider. Thank you.

10. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

I was kinda hoping this wouldnt be a restrictive government, but it looks like its going to be...

11. YNCS

YNCS Ex-bubblehead

This is just one of several alternatives. Blackheart has an alternative government, and if you can convince a majority of people to accept it, that's what we'll play with.

12. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

How will it be restrictive? All it will be is a Code of Standards, basicly the Polling Standards, Election Standards, Judiciary Standards, and Department Standards.

Here's what each one will include:

Polling Standards:
    Will be fairly detailed, and include all of the basics that should be followed when posting a poll. Same as is already mentioned inside of the Code Of Laws, but with some edits.

Election Standards:
    The Basic layout of an Election Poll and Nomination thread, requiring the election office to place the candidates name(s), with a link to the nomination thread, and the election office itself.

Judiciary Standards:
    Requires the Judiciary to create a set of procedures. These procedures must include a form of Citizen Complaints and Judicial Review.

Department Standards:
    All departments must create atleast one thread inside of the Government thread. The title of this thread will include the term and the respective departments name.

13. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Here is the Code of Standards:

14. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    This is the only thing I dislike about the proposal

I still favor the runner-up canidate to be the deputy because at least He/She has their foot in the door into the respected office that they are interested in. I dislike having the winner of the election chose the deputy because of several factors:

• 1. Very few people are eager to step forward to apply for deputy ship
    • 2. As with #1, the reason for this is because there is little or no responsibility to the deputy.
    • 3. The winner of the election would chose someone over who is more interested in the office (Winner would chose Person B insted of Person A, Person A is more interested in getting into office that he is interested in)

For uncontested elections, I still perfer to have the leader select a deputy insted of the presiden.

15. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

But good elections are fiercely fought thus the runner up isnt going to be the exact friend of the winner. Plus offices work better when people in the office are friends. This is why the USA changed it where the Vice President wasn't runner up. We could learn some things from real life.

16. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Sorry, CG. :( It's time to put runner-up deputies out to pasture once and for all.......

Speaking of this, are there plans to have the President and VP run on the same ticket?

17. GenMarshall

Well, I do intend to fight to keep the runner-up deputies still as a plauseable options for leaders. I did not liked the "Winner chosing the" deputy since, speeking from experiance, has gotten me disenfranchised in the excecutive department in *shudder* DG4.

Firstly, I do not wish to see this game mirror the Real Life of the US Government. As in Chieftess's poll she did earlyer on why people left the DG, most of the people voted for "Too much Beurocracy". Which I interperated as the DG becoming more like a Game of Government/Parlament. Though we only saw one case of seeing a runner-up deputy harboring dislike twards the leader (Not going to point fingers) in this DG, but that was only one case. I have seen (and I have done the same) when runner-up deputies have worked along with the leader.

18. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

or even all of the offices...
    but i would settle with just pres and vp.
    I think when the president accepts his/her nomination he/she just nominates someone for vice president and that person can accept or decline.

19. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

so is this what we are making our decisions on? A poll :shakehead
    It seems that you and CT always support your decisions by that poll...
    I havent even seen that poll posted!!! This poll leaves out people that have are still here but arent liking the game or are going to be leaving. Bureaucracy is government, we arent even close to too much government. Too much government is when we add the CoS and invent some new system of laws... So let me get this right, you would have prefered to see Bush as kerrys vp if kerry won, instead of edwards? As you see this would never work out...

20. GenMarshall

The problem is, (as stated by Dave in another thread) there are not very many people that are willing to take the reigns of deputyship/VPship.

When I won an office uncontested or appointed govenor to a province, I had placed in for the deputy slot please apply if interested and yet, very rarely do I see a citizen post interest in the deputy slot (Hense why I favor the runner-up deputy).

I would be happy if Kerry became VP. But we are not here to discuss about the US Government, we are here to discuss the DemoGame Government. I was making a statement that we should not mirror the government that is the same as the US or the British Parlement.

If you are interested in mirroring a Model Government/Parlament. There is a forum for that somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.