DG6 Discussion -- what NEEDS to change for you to stay in the game?

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
Another one where the title ought to be self-explanatory.

Please post the things that absolutely must change for you to remain an active participant in the game. These are not the things that you don't like but can live with, they are the ones you can't stand and wouldn't come back if they remained. It can be either something that is here and wrong for you, or something which is missing.

Please don't disparage or put down other people's complaints, or try to talk them out of their beliefs. Clarifying questions and discussion are OK. This thread is just to capture the minimum set of must change items, and hopefully it is a very small set.

increased difficulty or a variant, I dont care if we are going to conquests, monarch on conquests with no variants will still stop me from visiting the demogame

i can live with anyhting else, bad rulseset, etc wont bother me as much

Black_Hole said:
increased difficulty or a variant, I dont care if we are going to conquests, monarch on conquests with no variants will still stop me from visiting the demogame

I agree, we need a new difficulty and/or variant. This old formula is growing tiresome and we need change!

For one thing, Time :p. But knowing RL dynamics, that wont change ;).

Black_Hole said:

Ditto here. Knowing that you're going to win before playing isn't appealing to me.

It's not what needs to change for me to stay in the game, it's what not needs to change. Mainly no mods or varients, except possibly playing with 2 teams.

Strider said:
It's not what needs to change for me to stay in the game, it's what not needs to change. Mainly no mods or varients, except possibly playing with 2 teams.

See the other thread. :)

I think I'll stay in the game no matter what. I've never gone more than 3 days without at least lurking if I could help it, and I've been a Governor in DG's 2-5, so I could say I'm pretty well addicted. But making the game Conquests would be good, and increasing the difficulty would be great.

I was lately little out of a game, the main problem is time in RL.
One thing I would like to change is to increase difficulty, at least to emperor level, but because we are supposed to be superior over AI - we know everything about the game and have (too) much expirience I would like to play on Diety because it would be interesting challenge for me and probably 99% of demogame players.

The game would have to be set-up and played so that game info is readily accessable in the forums (i.e., a person would have to be able to quickly get a handle on the major issues facing the country without looking at the save.) It doesn't matter what version is played or whether there are chats or not, it all depends on whether I can visit the DG forums and find out what's going on without wading through four different sub-fourms and trying to figure out which posts in which threads need to be read. Since this has not happened in the last two demogames my participation has dropped to about zero. Since I had no idea what was going on I couldn't participate in discussions. I couldn't even vote rationally in many polls because they only provided a link to a discussion thread and no backround on the question being polled.

Give me something to work with and I'll be a part of things. I suspect there are many out there who feel the same who are silent.

One thing that needs to be changed IMHO is all of the legal bickering we tend to do. That turns away quite a few players, and the indecision.

If we make a discussion and a poll, it should be binding, even if we decide otherwise later. We should learn from our mistakes.

Chieftess said:
One thing that needs to be changed IMHO is all of the legal bickering we tend to do. That turns away quite a few players, and the indecision.

If we make a discussion and a poll, it should be binding, even if we decide otherwise later. We should learn from our mistakes.
so we cant change our mind?

Chieftess said:

Well, the rules we agree on were followed then there wouldn't be so much legal bickering. I guess I should amend my list of things that would drive me away to include another president (or DP) who disregards legally posted (and therefore binding instructions. The two instances we had of this in DGIV helped to drive me away.

Chieftess said:

Huh. Well, I feel that lack of legal involvement in this game is what has killed it. So what if three or four people argue amongst themselves while the rest of the nation remains blissfully uninvolved?

As illustrated above, the SPDG needs a change of forum leadership to revitalize itself. The game needs to focus more on the intricacy of law and less on blazing through the game. As long as the current leadership is either hostile to this fact or worse, on ban-only status, the experience will always fall just a bit short for me...... :(

This is the first game where the mods did not embrace [sell] the legal aspect of the game. And man, it shows! :sad:

Hey, I tried to get you guys to speed up the process, and even set a date limit. You didn't listen. Besides, there was nothing stopping you from discussing during the game.

Chieftess said:
Hey, I tried to get you guys to speed up the process, and even set a date limit. You didn't listen. Besides, there was nothing stopping you from discussing during the game.

Item number one: NOT starting the game until the ruleset is done. Once was bad enough. Twice was a terrible, TERRIBLE decision. Three times?

Remainder of list:
  • Flexible ruleset (either DG3 or DG5 - both were decent)
  • Fewer offices
  • Leaders that follow instructions, regardless of their opinion of the instructions.
  • Higher difficulty level
  • Smaller map - decrease the focus we need to have, with a smaller area the impact and importance of our decisions is magnified. Likewise, the risk is magnified.
  • Polling 101 as a mandatory class
  • More active moderation to cut down on the flaming. Way, WAY too much towards the end of the game.

-- Ravensfire

Chieftess said:

Isn't that the point of the protest in the first place? It was rushed and the game began without a proper ruleset?

You still could have continued the discussion. There's nothing that says you couldn't. Just that taking the entire summer (and for the umpteenth time, even Thunderfall said that was too long) disolves any interest. Even if there was still interest, you have just eliminated all chances of getting younger members to join over the summer because they now have to go to school.

Top Bottom