1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Diablo Immortal

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by sherbz, Nov 4, 2018.

1. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Well here is yet another example, of yet another big company, taking a beloved franchise, and then tossing it into the cesspit of mobile gaming. And it has gone down a real stinker. There is currently a massive backlash on Youtube, Twitter and just in general on the net. It is a PR disaster! Even at Blizz Con - which is attended by hardcore die hard fans, the announcement was met with..... first silence..... then ridicule.

Im honestly loving this. I do feel sorry for the developers, who no doubt want to try and make as best a game as they possibly can. But seriously? If you want PC gaming fans to take you seriously, then you dont tell them that the mobile platform is where the future of gaming is. As one apt commenter put it:

"Just because everyone has a microwave doesnt mean we want to cook our steak in it"

2. axx

axx Chieftain

meh, I stopped being a Blizzard fanboy ever since I saw D3 screenshots years ago. Bought both diablos when they came out, but I don't ever plan to support always online stuff and I just don't like what they are doing to the franchise.

3. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Temporary Pattern...still recognizably human...

I really don't know what they were thinking.
    You want to make a mobile game out of one of your franchises ? Fine, whatever, but surely you must know your current fans will at best be indifferent ?
    They could have gotten away with it if the announcement was just a press release, but hyping fans up with hints for a new Diablo game and coming out with this at Blizzcon ? How out of touch do you have to be to think this is a good idea ?
    That's even worse than Command & Conquer: Rivals.

4. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Yea, it is pretty dumb. And its surprising that its Blizzard thats the guilty party. For many years Blizzard has sort of been the Apple of the industry (i.e. just as guilty of predatory practices as other companies, but shielded from any real criticism by their legions of fan bois). You would expect EA to make a gaff like this, but not Blizzard.

The silly thing is though that the game might actually be good (just because its a mobile game does not necessarily mean it has to be monetised in the god awful way that most other titles are). But to Diablo fans that doesnt matter. All that matters is that its not Diablo 4, and its a mobile game. Its about as dumb as Bethesda hinting at a new Elder scrolls, and then launching Skyrim on IOS/Android.

5. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

:lol:

To be honest, I wouldn't even have a problem with a Mobile Spinoff per se. The problem is that they're announcing this right in the middle of a drought period for Diablo fans, caused by their decision to drop support for Diablo3 at a point in time where they were seriously improving the game. Probably mainly because they had to remove their reoccurring monetization model - the real money auction house - in the process.

And then they announce a mobile game that looks like it's reusing 98% of D3 assets, developed by a partner-company that is known for a an apparently terribly coded, pay2win game that already looks like a bit of a Diablo Clone.

1+1 usually equals 2, so I already know what kind of "game" I can expect to get.

sherbz likes this.
  6. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Awwwww, it doesn't include the guy who asked whether it was an out of season April fools joke.

7. ArchGhost

ArchGhost Chieftain

Blizzard already **** the bed with D3 and they haven't been the same Blizzard their old fans know since the success of Overwatch anyway. At some point all companies become to big to care about anything but the greed. "We are listening" to reference another beloved developer. Indeed.

Though the true stupidity of this was indeed hyping it as the main event at their own convention. They just flipped a gigantic bird of a statement of their intentions directly to an audience of their fans, telling them they are following the other examples of investor-pandering right to their faces. As their primary reveal! That's about as stupid as EA openly defying Belgian law and inviting their consumer base to do the same, all in the name of pushing their electronic gambling BS.