Diagnosing Crashes

Chieftain
Hello, I hope I'm posting in the right area.

I have been modding BTS using the fabulous BUG mod as a base and attempting to give each civilization a unique unit art style. The game works without fault up until about turn 1050 or so when I get a crash.

The crash makes me think it's a missing art define because it doesn't occur every time and usually occurs when switching to world builder. At first I thought it might be a missing Great person art define because it wouldn't always happen on the same turn when I reload, but I have combed my XML for any missing art defines, no luck.

I have also, using world builder on turn 0, added every unit for each civilization, and added each tech by era to check the different art defines when applicable. I cannot reproduce the error.

I've even downloaded the artdefinechecker utility and according to it my mod has no missing art defines.

Is it possible that the increased number of unit art styles and/or unit art defines is causing this crash?

I have only tested this in singleplayer so far but am making it to play with two others. Hopefully my ambition does not outstrip my abilities.

If anyone has any ideas that I can try, or any more info I should include, please share. I am not trained in computer sciences so feel free to dumb talk, I probably won't notice ;)

Thanks for your time everyone.

The game can crash for like this for memory issues (ie map too big for your ram). Try a smaller map. I had a game crash when my army count crossed a critical limit.

Thanks, I'll try a smaller game. Would this be the game has issues with such large maps? I suppose it's possible my computer can't handle it but it surpasses all the system requirements. I'm assuming since this is a mod that it will be more demanding than the base game, right?

yep ... BAT is much more demanding.

045, have you added any buildings to your mod?

Yes, a civ unique barracks (ikhanda art), a civ unique airport (standard art), and a solar and fusion plant (both using nuclear fission plant art). These were all in the previous iteration of my mod and never caused any crashes. Do you think they may contribute in some way?

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Though none have worked, I remain optimistic I'll figure it out sooner or later. If anyone has any other ideas I could try I would welcome the input.

:cheers:

SaibotLieh, I think you win the prize for figuring it out. Missing button art seems to have been the cause of the crash. Thanks for the idea.

SaibotLieh, I think you win the prize for figuring it out. Missing button art seems to have been the cause of the crash. Thanks for the idea.
No problem, glad to hear that you got it working. :)

Nice one Sai. Thanks. :)

Top Bottom