Dial Back The Paranoia Meter

Formaldehyde

Both Fair And Balanced

At Denver's International Airport, JoAnna Sandland, 3, is wanded during a 2003 pilot screening program for children.

No Unguarded Moment

It's Time to Scale Back the Security Mania

By David Ignatius
Thursday, July 30, 2009

It was an unsettling image: Arrayed in front of the neighborhood barbershop last week were four burly men with the characteristic earpieces and bulky suits that marked them as security officers. Inside, gracing the barber's chair, was the well-trimmed director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Robert Mueller.

Perhaps in today's Washington, the FBI director truly needs a security detail to protect him when he gets a haircut. But I wonder. From my vantage, the blatant obviousness of his bodyguards only called attention to him. At the grocery store across the street, he was the talk of the checkout line. "Who's over at the barbershop?" "The FBI guy, what's-his-name." "No way!" People were coming out just to look.

Protecting our public servants is important, to be sure. But we have gotten so cranked up about security in the United States that senior officials travel in cocoons, as if they are under constant threat. Every Cabinet secretary seems to have a security detail; so do governors and mayors and prominent legislators.

What are all these security folks protecting our officials from? Al-Qaeda? Hezbollah? Crazy people? Aggrieved constituents? Or is it something more ephemeral -- a nameless, pervasive sense of danger that may suddenly assault the secretary of energy or the governor of New Jersey?

What I encountered at the local barbershop was a small example of the general security mania that seized the country after Sept. 11, 2001. So here's a suggestion: This September, as we mark the eighth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, let's resolve to dial the paranoia meter back a notch.

The hyper-security has added as much to public fear (and annoyance) as to public safety. The Transportation Security Administration is so pervasive at airports that we forget how bizarre it is to see old ladies and pregnant mothers and 8-year-old kids frisked and searched as if they had just arrived from Waziristan. Does this really make sense?

The security culture has its own momentum, wiping away other values, such as openness or privacy. These days, you can't get into any self-respecting building in Washington, public or private, without showing identification and signing a visitors' log. When I went to give a talk at the National Defense University last week, it was like entering the Green Zone in Baghdad. They made me open the trunk, the hood and all four doors of my car -- and that was after my license plate number had been cleared in advance.

The Secret Service has the most difficult security job in Washington -- and the most visible. You can hear the roar of the sirens each evening as the enormous motorcade of a dozen cars and a half-dozen motorcycles conveys the vice president to his residence on Massachusetts Avenue. Maybe it's necessary to have so many cars, but it's a scene, frankly, that reminds me of Moscow during the Soviet days.

The Secret Service must deal with a reported 3,000 threats a year against the president. And al-Qaeda aside, there are a lot of nut jobs out there who might like to harm the president and his family. That said, Secret Service officers can be among the rudest people in Washington. A White House chief of staff confided several years ago that he discovered their unfriendliness when he was stopped without his badge one day by an officer who didn't recognize him.

A few Secret Service personnel also seem to think that leaking embarrassing personal details about the president and his family is part of the assignment. (See the gossip-filled new book by Ron Kessler, "In the President's Secret Service," for leaks about the Bushes and the Obamas.)

Making trade-offs isn't easy when it comes to security. But surely we have reached the point of diminishing returns with the fortress mentality. The truth is, we all must live with vulnerability. It's a part of modern life. We need to take reasonable precautions, yes. But it would be good for our public officials to step out of the bubble occasionally and smell the roses -- unfiltered by the security detail.

The next haircut is on me, Mr. Mueller, and if your security detail doesn't object, I'll show you around the neighborhood.
You always hear about risk-reward ratio when arguing consumer safety. For example, fewer people would die in traffic and commercial flight accidents if cars and planes were designed to be safer, albeit at a greater cost to the consumer. But the same methodology is rarely, if ever, used to rationalize the high cost of our collective paranoia.

I think we should use the same approach for a while and empirically determine what happens next. Let's cut the security details from a half-dozen or so to one Chuck Norris / bar bouncer type, as the celebrities have used for decades to fend off the occasional loonie. If the Al-Qaida or the United Daughters of the Confederacy kidnap or kill one or more government bureaucrats as a result, then lets discuss possibly ramping it up again after we quantitatively determine how much their deaths actually cost us.

And with the savings, we can increase our vigilance effort against 3-year-old terrorists...

Are you saying that terrorists wouldnt use children?

Drug smugglers use them as drug mules....what makes you think that terrorists wouldnt use them the same way?

Just a sample of this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6889106/

Falah al-Naqib told reporters in Baghdad that 38 attacks were carried out on polling stations in Iraq on Sunday and that one of the suicide bombings was carried out by a disabled child.

“A handicapped child was used to carry out a suicide attack on a polling site,” al-Naqib said. “This is an indication of what horrific actions they are carrying out.”

EDIT: One more: http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2009\07\30\story_30-7-2009_pg7_14

Taliban using children as part of ‘Jihad’

* 14-year-old boy recruited by Taliban in Swat recalls recruitment
* Intelligence reports estimate more than 5,000 children trained so far

Daily Times Monitor

LAHORE: The Taliban are using children bought from poor families or recruited from madrassas to launch suicide attacks in Pakistan and Afghanistan, a report said on Wednesday.

Qari Abdullah, a Taliban commander in charge of child recruitment, told Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, writing for the Independent, that children as young as five and six years old were being recruited from poor families.

“The kids want to join us because they like our weapons. If you’re fighting, then God provides you with the means to win. Kids themselves are tools to achieve God’s will. And whatever comes your way, you sacrifice it,” he said.

Describing a Taliban propaganda video, Sharmeen recalled 25 shalwar kameez-clad children appearing in the video.

“They sat cross-legged on the ground rocking back and forth reciting the holy Quran. A white bandana tied across their forehead” inscribed with the Kalmah, she wrote.

She wrote the children had been filmed in an empty compound, adding that three children, armed with automatic guns, sat in one corner and kept watch.

“Their teacher, dressed in brown military fatigues walked around reading aloud from a book titled ‘Justifications for suicide bombing’. He made a list on the white board titled ‘Reasons for killing a spy’,” she added, writing that the text on the screen read “Preparing suicide bombers”.

Sharmeen recalled that in another chilling video, three boys spoke about their desire to become suicide bombers. She writes, “The video introduces Zainullah, who later blows himself up and kills six, Sadique, who blows himself up and kills 22, and Masood who kills 28.” She wrote that the video contained footage of their attacks and in the background a young child sang “if you try and find me after I have died, you will never find my whole body, you will find little pieces”.

Disturbing tale: Hazrat Ali, a 14-year-old boy from a poor farming family in Swat, was recruited by the Taliban from the local Islamic school.

“They first call us to the mosques, and preach to us. Then they take us to a madrassa and they teach us things from the Quran. They teach us to use machine gun, Kalashnikov, rocket launchers, grenades, bombs. They ask us to use them only against the infidels. Then they teach us how to do a suicide attack,” Ali said.

Ali said he longed for the day when his turn would come to be a suicide bomber. “There are thousands of us. The Taliban now have the power to defeat the army,” he added.

There are 80 million children in the country, more than a quarter of whom lived below the poverty line.

High number: According to intelligence estimates, more than 5,000 child suicide bombers between the ages of 10 and 17 have been trained by the Taliban so far. Most of them are dispatched to Afghanistan to target international troops and Afghan security forces, but some are deployed for strikes inside Pakistan. On April 6, a child suicide bomber blew himself up at a Shia mosque in the Chakwal district, killing 26 people and injuring more than 50.

It has also been reported that Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Baitullah Mehsud was buying children as young as seven to carry out suicide bombings. The price for a child bomber is between $7,000 and $14,000, an official requesting anonymity said.

The Pakistani government has offered a reward of about $615,300 for information leading to Mehsud’s capture.

When you have an enemy that will go to that length and measure its a valid reason to at least give a cursory search with a metal detector wand on everyone, including kids.

And I say this as a parent who had that done to his youngest child when I took my family to Disneyland a few years back. It wasnt a big deal, and it didnt delay us any at all. Crying about it is stupid. I would much prefer people of all ages get a cursory look like that than rather have more planes flown into buildings.

Do they wand pets?

Pets have to be in carriers, and I think the whole shebang goes through the x-ray machine. I do know they are more throughly inspected than any human boarding a plane.

Why not expand it to strip searches? It would have the added bonus of prepping them to enter the Rhode Island workforce at 16.

I just flew home from Phoenix yesterday and the security checks were nothing to whine about. Put your stuff in a bin so they can x-ray it, walk through a metal detector. What is so objectionable about that?

They only wand you if 1.) they don't have a walk through or 2.) they get an indication from the walkthrough that can't be reconciled right then and there.

Oh by god a three year old could be a terrorist! OMG HAX!

The War on Terror: Welcome to paranoia where everyone us out to sap your senteries!

I just flew home from Phoenix yesterday and the security checks were nothing to whine about. Put your stuff in a bin so they can x-ray it, walk through a metal detector. What is so objectionable about that?

They only wand you if 1.) they don't have a walk through or 2.) they get an indication from the walkthrough that can't be reconciled right then and there.

Excellent point Pat. Its simply not that big of a deal.

Obviously, Al Qaeda is plotting to send 3-year-olds to hijack airplanes and fly them into buildings.

As a personwho thinks we're going too far: to be fair, there are cases when children could be used as bomb mules

or have we forgotten thew case of the Jordanian who planted abomb on his preggers girlfriend?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nezar_Hindawi

Excellent point Pat. Its simply not that big of a deal.
lol, what Pat described is what we had pre 9/11. I realize that may be more inline w/ the what the OP is about, but I'm fine w/ what we had pre-9/11.

No, what I said is what we have now. I just flew from Phoenix to Atlanta to Charleston last night.

The only real thing that is a hastle is the liquids thing, but since now all the stores sell travel versions of thier products that are exactly the right size, this will be a non issue once people finish off their jumbo sized shampoo containers in a few years. And the liquids thing only affects carry on anyway.

choxorn said:
Obviously, Al Qaeda is plotting to send 3-year-olds to hijack airplanes and fly them into buildings.

Didnt you even glance at the links that show Al Q is indeed using children more and more for terror attacks?

lol, what Pat described is what we had pre 9/11. I realize that may be more inline w/ the what the OP is about, but I'm fine w/ what we had pre-9/11.

No. Pre 9/11 lines were more due to ticketing/baggage hassles not from security issues....but there were still long lines. Airports have since greatly modernized how you ticket (eticket anyone?) and check in streamlining the process, but now we have additional security measures to go through.

But lets be real, the last 4 or 5 times I have flown, being invidually scanned, taking off my shoes, putting my metal into a container to be x-ray, really hasnt been that much of a hassle. It has gone quite smoothly and without any real interruption.

And thats a small price to pay for some increased security for airline travel.

But lets be real, the last 4 or 5 times I have flown, being invidually scanned, taking off my shoes, putting my metal into a container to be x-ray, really hasnt been that much of a hassle. It has gone quite smoothly and without any real interruption.

And thats a small price to pay for some increased security for airline travel.

I think the point is that there really isn't any increased security as a result of taking off your shoes, having any significant amounts of liquid or anything remotely sharp or pointy confiscated, and getting your name checked against the secret Terrorist Watch List.

And yeah, the bunker mentality for our politicians is a little disturbing, too. And many of the politicians that have multiple full-time security/police bodyguards favor disarming citizens, as well.

Didnt you even glance at the links that show Al Q is indeed using children more and more for terror attacks?

Strap bombs to them, they may do, and it's just plain wrong. I don't, however, think, any small children are going to be hijacking airplanes, that's ridiculous.

I definitely agree that we have way too much security I find it funny that many of those advocating the soviet-esq bunker mentality for pols are 'good ole fashion patriotic americans'(I actually am one btw) Gen. Petraeus has gone without Any type of body armor in Iraq for several years without incident.

I think its a lot to do with politicians loving to feel important it must be quite the ego trip to have secret service agents shove away the vulgar peasants just because your the rep from the 7th district of Wyoming.

Thats not the point, they are scanned because they are used as mules to bring on things that adults will use to hijack planes. Or just blow them up. Or just smuggle illegal items.

This is nothing out of the ordinary, smugglers have used children to get things through security, for, well, forever :)

Top Bottom