did America lost its diplomatic standing due to Ukraine war?

did USA lost its diplomacy standing to Russia

• Total voters
boomer generations in Korea seems to think America has lost its world standing and that Russia is rising.
What is your opinion? Did America lost its world standing or is America still standing strong in world diplomacy

It looks virtually certain that the world is moving towards (at least) two superblocks, and the one that will have China and Russia already controls a planet-sized territory.
US... has to send stuff oceans away, which doesn't seem to be sustainable for much longer.

It looks virtually certain that the world is moving towards (at least) two superblocks, and the one that will have China and Russia already controls a planet-sized territory.
US... has to send stuff oceans away, which doesn't seem to be sustainable for much longer.
Having to send stuff oceans away is the current source of global power. iirc, China has exceeded the US in terms of volume of international trade, but not in terms of value. Don't quote me on that. Russia's power, inasmuch as it has any, it founded on trade too. They can strangle Western Europe in the short term, but I think if Russia doesn't either resume energy and food exports to its existing markets or replace those markets with new ones, it will be screwing itself in the medium term. Control of (geographical) territory is close to meaningless. A board game modeling and simplifying the 21st-Century global power struggle wouldn't look like Diplomacy or Risk.

As for the superblocks, I don't see China wanting or needing to be an equal partner with anyone, in any broad or semi-permanent way. Russia right now is demonstrating that they aren't even a regional power, nvm a global one.

I'm no boomer I'm a gen x'er but even I can see that the US's influence is going down while Russia and China are going up.

Russia and China created BRICS, an international economic area independent of the petro dollar, to combat sanctions placed on them. They openly defy being part of globalism, a theory led by the west.
Brics was created in 2009 and isn't anything new at this point. Not to mention who are allies of Russia and China?

Russia and China created BRICS, an international economic area independent of the petro dollar, to combat sanctions placed on them. They openly defy being part of globalism, a theory led by the west.
BRICS is basically China shoring up foreign markets for itself, and is quite the opposite of defying globalism. To use Wikipedia as a source, because I'm lazy - they're citing IMF numbers - BRICS currently represents 32% of global per capita GDP. However, China by itself represents most of that. The IMF numbers cited by Wikipedia don't quite add up, and I don't have time to figure out why*, but it still points to China running laps around all of its so-called partners: The IMF credits BRICS combined with 40.55 trillion USD in GDP(PPP); China with 30.17 trillion; India with 11.74; Russia with 4.36; Brazil with 3.68; and S. Africa with 0.94. Obviously, that's just one measure of power, but a not-insignificant one. Russia is currently demonstrating to the world that China is the #2 military power. China is the world's biggest market, so having good trade relations with them would obviously benefit all of those countries, but BRICS should probably be spelled briCs.

* Ah, I figured it out: The number cited for BRICS as a group is from 2018. The numbers for the individual countries are estimates for 2022.

The USA has lost a lot of diplomatic standing due to the actions of previous presidents.

If anything the Russian war of aggression has increased the diplomatic standing of the USA.

A Russian-Chinese block is delusional. China might become a superpower, but they are certainly not going to share that power with another nation. If it wants to, Russia could become a Chinese vassal among others.

Russia is barely a regional power, with an economy dominated by the export of raw materials, and has lost any meaningful allies. Its partnership with the PRC will be a joining of unequals - China has a broad economy and is considerably ahead of Russia in both civilian and military technology.

People may confuse the domestic issues bedeviling the US currently as a sign if decline. The US's ability to place substantial and quality military forces anywhere across the globe is unmatched, its economy is still larger than China's despite have a fourth of China population and its European and Asian allies are economically strong.

BRICS is basically China shoring up foreign markets for itself, and is quite the opposite of defying globalism. To use Wikipedia as a source, because I'm lazy smart - they're citing IMF numbers - BRICS currently represents 32% of global per capita GDP. However, China by itself represents most of that. The IMF numbers cited by Wikipedia don't quite add up, and I don't have time to figure out why*, but it still points to China running laps around all of its so-called partners: The IMF credits BRICS combined with 40.55 trillion USD in GDP(PPP); China with 30.17 trillion; India with 11.74; Russia with 4.36; Brazil with 3.68; and S. Africa with 0.94. Obviously, that's just one measure of power, but a not-insignificant one. Russia is currently demonstrating to the world that China is the #2 military power. China is the world's biggest market, so having good trade relations with them would obviously benefit all of those countries, but BRICS should probably be spelled briCs.

* Ah, I figured it out: The number cited for BRICS as a group is from 2018. The numbers for the individual countries are estimates for 2022.
ftfy

But using PPP is silly for international trade weight. Domestic parity adjustments don't change your import/export prices.

@Moff Jerjerrod petro dollars don't matter. Maybe during the gold standard it was a stabilizer of American interest rates.

The USA has lost a lot of diplomatic standing due to the actions of previous presidents.

If anything the Russian war of aggression has increased the diplomatic standing of the USA.

A Russian-Chinese block is delusional. China might become a superpower, but they are certainly not going to share that power with another nation. If it wants to, Russia could become a Chinese vassal among others.
I like that people pretend only China and Russia may have power disparity. Not the US and its allies, who are all equals.

US is still the only superpower. I don't think that will last but Russia ain't going to regain its superpower status. Its struggling to defeat a much smaller neighbour. Its just about hanging on to its status as a regional power.

I would argue China is now "too big to fail" and could be argued its big enough the US isn't going to engage.

I like that people pretend only China and Russia may have power disparity. Not the US and its allies, who are all equals.
There are power disparities between the US and its allies. The US doesn’t use its NATO allies as de facto resource colonies(though it does in other places). The NATO countries are military vassals first.

China, however, seems well poised to turn Russia into a resource colony, which is a very disadvantageous position. Wouldn’t be wise for Russia to go that route but perhaps they’ve already made their bed, and have to lie in it, by this point.

Top Bottom