DID anybody else's R&R stop working

rah

Deity
Supporter
On vacation with my brother and we go to fire up an MP game and I get that xml error too many siblings blah blah, and my brother is getting the exact same error. This is different as of just the last couple of days. That it's happening on multiple computers is disturbing, wondering if it was caused by an W7 update.

Is anybody else having this problem? if so or not, what OS.

Is there any thing easier than trying to reinstall.

This error is typically caused by changed and therefore corrupted settings somewhere in the XML files, therefore I would assume one of you having changed something or different RaR versions on the two computers.
It might be the easiest solution to do a quick reinstallation.

Never ever heard anything about "Windows Update causing problems to a Civ4Col mod".

Just as Commander Bello says:
"Too many siblings"-Errors are very typical for corrupted XML by an error during (mod-)modding.

Since the official release does not have that error and you even say yourself, that the mod was working fine for you a few days ago, I suspect that you did some changes to the mod within those days.
(Either by installing a modmod or modmodding yourself.)

This error is typically caused by changed and therefore corrupted settings somewhere in the XML files, therefore I would assume one of you having changed something or different RaR versions on the two computers.
It might be the easiest solution to do a quick reinstallation.

Since it happened to both of our machines independently at the same time I highly doubt it was anything that we did. What's the easiest way to reinstall (it's been awhile and don't remember the initial install. Our COL discs are at home so we can't reinstall col, but assuming you're recommending that we just reinstall r&r.

Is there anybody running win 7 to see if they have a similar issue? Just curious if it was caused by a win 7 update, which is the only thing that makes sense at this point.

Jup, simply delete your current version of RaR mod and reinstall a clean version.
This really sounds like a (mod-)modding error that corrupted an XML.

In all my years of modding Civ4Col I never heard anything about "Windows updates messing up a mod".
(I can't even imagine how that technically could be. If there would be a problem caused by Windows itself, vanilla would most likely not work either.)

I am using Windows 7 (64Bit) myself and never had problems with Civ4Col (or any mod).
(Haven't tried Civ4Col or RaR for a while though.)

Since it happened to both of our machines independently at the same time I highly doubt it was anything that we did. What's the easiest way to reinstall (it's been awhile and don't remember the initial install. Our COL discs are at home so we can't reinstall col, but assuming you're recommending that we just reinstall r&r.
Yes, a clean install of R&R.

Is there anybody running win 7 to see if they have a similar issue? Just curious if it was caused by a win 7 update, which is the only thing that makes sense at this point.
Me. :)
Win7 x64 (and all current updates - well, at least the important ones) and just tested positively the playability of a clean R&R 2.2 installation .

we're not up to 2.2 yet, just 2.1 not that i would think that would make a difference here.

The only reason we were thinking maybe the update was because that was the only thing that happened to both pcs. What's the odds you'd get the same corrupted file on two different machines on the exact same day.

Well we tried a reinstall and it didn't work, but we noticed something and checked Norton out. We had both gotten a norton update the day before.
It appears that Norton was removing cvgamecoredll.dll as a malicious threat. So put it back in again and told norton ok. It works now. Thanks and I hope no one else has this problem.

Our vacation is saved

Anybody have a clue why Nortons would consider cvgamecoredll.dll a malicious threat?

It makes you spend your time in an unproductive way. :)

DAT true. It was the free norton through comcast so if anyone is getting it there......

Top Bottom