Did anyone say Hydra?

When I continue this game I'm gonna start doing a massive religion spreading mission :)

I wonder how much income I can boost it to :p

When I continue this game I'm gonna start doing a massive religion spreading mission :)

I wonder how much income I can boost it to :p

You've got five shrines and all the religions. I'd say spread at least three religions to every city (that you have a shrine too). That should be more than enough to run 100% non-wealth.

I'd like to hear updates on this game, if you don't mind. I'm curious how it plays out.

Oh btw, you see my northern city past the Americans? I settled there cause I got a Quest to find the Holy Mountain from a prophecy. But they didn't know what mountain it was, all they knew it wasn't any mountain I already had inside my borders (I had none, heh).

And I only saw 3 peaks, one which was a bit closer but still past the Americans, and two peaks which that northern city would get with one Cultural expansion.

I would fail the quest if I got to the industrial age I think, and if someone else got them within their cultural borders before me.

So I built a Galley, put a warrior in the galley, trained a settler and set sail! After many years we finally made it, and when the borders expanded we finished the quest!

I don't remember what the reward was now though. o.O

I want to see what that other continent has been doing. It looks like you haven't met some of the other players yet.

This is the sort of gambit that I've always thought would be interesting, but I've never had the gut to do it because I figured I would get whacked pretty quickly. I'd be interested to see how this plays out with the politics and the AP--you will definitely have a hand in determining the outcome of anything AP, irrelevant of which religion happens to be represented there!

The first time I managed to found most (~5) of the religions I was playing as the barbarian minor civ. I couldn't help but laugh at being reminded of Gibbon: the triumph of barbarism and religion.

Ok, I did it again. This time on Emperor level (standard map, epic, Medium/Small islands script (one of the new)). I didn't mean to do it, but when I got both Buddhism and Hinduism I just had to go for it. It's put me back a lot in territory but I'm settler spamming a bit and going for the Landsknecht for some possible warfare. Maybe against the Egyptians since England is such a buddy atm.

This time it's on Epic. My biggest problem with vanilla civ is that everything goes so fast on Normal, and in a way it does on epic, and even marathon. You just don't seem to have time to use your units before you get the next generation, etc.

Also, the Holy Roman Empire which I am playing as in that game is the perfect civ for building many cities. Imperialistic AND -75% Maintenance courthouses! (Now, if they only were organized as well ;))

Provided they pay for themselves, no harm done. You'll see the AI build cities closer now in general, I think.

It's still quite obviously better to give each city a full 20 squares providing they can use them in the longterm. This situation is rather artificial to say the least.

Also, the Holy Roman Empire which I am playing as in that game is the perfect civ for building many cities. Imperialistic AND -75% Maintenance courthouses! (Now, if they only were organized as well ;))

So you built one instead ;)

It's still quite obviously better to give each city a full 20 squares providing they can use them in the longterm. This situation is rather artificial to say the least.

Yes, but you need to factor in the time it takes for the city to grow enough to be actually be even able to use the full 20 squares. Then there is the land grab period in which maybe denying land from enemy use is better than placing a city in an optimal location. Plus, if your civ is not of the creative trait, culture or lack thereof would be an issue.

Yes, but you need to factor in the time it takes for the city to grow enough to be actually be even able to use the full 20 squares. Then there is the land grab period in which maybe denying land from enemy use is better than placing a city in an optimal location. Plus, if your civ is not of the creative trait, culture or lack thereof would be an issue.

Not if you play the way I do :)....I appreciate what Grey Fox is doing, its quite a coup, just not a strategy to be recommended to beginners or even intermediaries thats all...

Wait, how do you assign all the founding religions into one city? When I play my game, it will always automatically assign one at the city that has the least cultural point. Either you found all those religions before settling a 2nd city or you somehow know how to assign them.

Wait, how do you assign all the founding religions into one city? When I play my game, it will always automatically assign one at the city that has the least cultural point. Either you found all those religions before settling a 2nd city or you somehow know how to assign them.

He didn't build a second city until he'd founded all the religions, its the only way to do it.

How do you get all the religions founded in one city (and not some in, say, Cordoba)?

How do you get all the religions founded in one city (and not some in, say, Cordoba)?

As Methos said, I founded them while I still only had my capital.

That's the punishment for this gambit ;) - While the other settle the land, I found religions. But then, when I manage to get all 7 I consider myself a winner anyways :p

So you built one instead ;)

Yeah that was NOT my intention with that game :D

I was gonna settle like crazy, but then I manage to get both the starter religions, and I just had to go for it :p

And you are correct that I wouldn't recommend this strategy for all (building tightly). It's also highly situational (terrain etc). But I find that you benefit more from it on higher difficulties, when happiness could be harder to get, and when the AI settles like crazy.

Top Bottom