Did BNW change how traits work?

Countbuffalo

Chieftain
I recently bought BNW, and upon loading the game up, i loaded my custom civ, however, the civ's trait had changed, there was an empty set of brackets next to the leader name and the description of the trait had some placeholder text. This got me thinking, was there some kind of change in how traits worked between GnK and BNW? Since my custom civ's trait suddenly doesn't work, I've changed nothing, so i assume it must be BNW.

Long story short - Did BNW change how traits work in any way, especially those that contain invisible buildings or free promotions?

From my personal experience, you can't change the trait of a civilization anymore. For the changes you want done to them, you need to modify the trait they already have, which is a minor annoyance.

Sorry, You seemed to have misunderstood my rather jumbled post. What I meant is I have a custom civ who's Trait doesn't work any more, however, I think I might know what is wrong, I'll check.

Edit - Nope, i was wrong, it's still broken, however, here's what it looks like:

Civilisation name - Civ leader name ()
Civ specific bonus 2

The specific bonus 2 is where the trait description should be. Also, it works when I downgrade to Gods and Kings, so do I have to update the files in a different way?

IIRC the only thing that changed in Traits was that TradeRouteChange got renamed to CityConnectionTradeRouteChange

That's strange, my mod doesn't have anything to do with trade routes in it, so I doubt that's the problem. Great, it could be anything...

Great, it could be anything...
Enable logging (see my sig) and check the database.log and lua.log files - there will probably be a hint in there somewhere

Yep, I've done all that, here's what I found in the logs. Some very helpful stuff. Here's what I found.

Database - Invalid Reference on Leader_Traits.TraitType - "TRAIT_PRAVDA_PANZER_TRADITION" does not exist in Traits

Beyond what I can understand at face value, that the value is missing, I'm not really sure what it actually means, it means that a data table is missing information, that much is clear, but is that just the case of me mistyping or a value left empty?

Lua - Runtime Error: Assets\UI\FrontEnd\GameSetup\GameSetupScreen.lua:492: attempt to index local 'trait' (a nil value)

Okay, not sure what this means, since I don't actually have any Lua codes in my mod, and I haven't touched this file, it seems that I'm referring to something that doesn't exist however.

Vice, you always show up like a guardian angel to bail me out when I have problems like this, I don't know what I'd do without you. Here's the .civ5mod file (attached). As far as I can tell the 'trait value' no longer does anything, which is strange, since it worked with G&K.

Attachments

• Girls Und panzer - Pravda school BNW (v 1).civ5mod
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
In CIV5Traits_Pravda.xml

Code:
      <PolicyCostModifier>0</PolicyCostModifier>
      [SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"]<TradeRouteChange>0</TradeRouteChange>[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
      <WonderProductionModifier>0</WonderProductionModifier>

see post #5 above

I guess that shows how just the little things can bring the whole mod crashing down. I'll change it and see if that works, thanks for the help.

Vice, you always show up like a guardian angel to bail me out when I have problems like this, I don't know what I'd do without you

Spoiler :
Just don't usurp me when I try to take your hand :cry:

I'd go ahead and delete any tags which have a value of zero in your traits. We probably won't have another update like BNW that really changes them up and thus breaks them, but it'll still cut down on some useless text in your files.

Plus, not using the TradeRouteChange and CityConnectionTradeRouteChange tags will help make a mod compatible with both G&K and BNW without any extra steps needed from the end user to make it work with one or the other.

Unsurprisingly, changing the trade routes value worked, something little like that breaks everything. I'll take your advice and remove any 'nil' values, though I would have thought the game would have liked to check them anyway. Its finicky like that.

Oh yeah, I don't want to derail the thread, but since I got my problem fixed, I want to say I just noticed your new contribution to the workshop, more Madoka mods is always a good thing, though I'm torn between using the spoiler civs for more Madoka related stuff or waiting to see the film, which probably won't happen for a while.

But, keep up the good work! You're doing Gods, or rather, Madoka's (Madokami's?) work with those mods. So have a merry Christmas, you damn well deserve it! :xmastree:

Top Bottom