1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

did civ 6 improve after latest patch?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by pietro1990, May 8, 2017.

1. DocRock

DocRock Prince

Do you think that posting how great and glorious this game is in every single thread is better than whining? In my last game on Immortal, my Battleships met Catapults. So much about upgrading. Maybe the AI is now better at it, meaning they sometimes do it. But in many cases, they are not upgrading.

@OP try one game and judge for yourself. I think the game got better, but it's still inferior to 4 and 5 so I would advise to play them until this is fixed (by 1 or 2 major xpacs).

ZubieMaster likes this.
  2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

This game has lots of problems, I state plenty and often, I just give a balanced view rather than being continuously negative.

There are plenty of good things to say about the game and they do not really get much airing compared to the negative.

For example I will say gifting cities is broken, rather than diplomacy is crap. Which is the more mature considered and open to discussion approach?

Currently dealing with such approaches as "second luxuries are pointless" type comment in other threads. Of course I may sound positive in such threads because I am dealing with people who are being negative.

I bought no DLC's until I thought the game was acceptable to play last patch and was quite vocal about that approach.
    The game is by no means perfect and as much as I hate stacks of doom at least the AI can be coded better for war, it's just I'll find another game if they do it again because it's just not my thing.

What is great in the game is the choices for the finer points
    What is terrible in the game is it's lack of choice in overall strat, just steamroller
    Yes the UI sucks but also has a lot of info but could be an awful lot better.

Some of the worst things like no restart button seem like a tactical choice by Firaxis which is appalling but also business

I believe my approach is mature and considered.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

But you say that as if it weren't also a problem with every other iteration of Civ throughout the years. If he does go back to the older games (with an open mind) he'll find the same issue.

Victoria likes this.
  4. Victoria

5. Fatalis2

Fatalis2 Chieftain

I guess that when you said « better » or “improved”, you mean « harder » ?

If I’m right, then the answer should definitely be “yes”, IMO.

I played last week my first game since the last DLC / patch was released. Prince, as usual (I play to relax, not to suffer…), and Persia, to try the new civ.

As I used to do, I fought a war as early as possible against my nearest neighbor to wipe it out. Easily done, even though England produced an archer to defend. The first time I saw that so early in the game !

But after that, I noticed that it was time… to change my habits.

Egypt was the only one civ remaining on the same continent. But too far to be destroyed early enough, until Cleo built something like 4 cities (I used to wipe out my neighbors with one or two cities, during ancient or classical era ; never later) . Then I decided to keep calm with Egypt ; Cleo and I shared the continent. I succeeded to become sovereign of almost every CS over the continent, except one (Jerusalem). With some very good CS like Carthage, Brussels, Valetta or Hattusa… And I began to build my empire as usual, apparently leading every kind of victory.

BUT after something like 150 / 160 turns, Egypt sent a huge army of 7-9 knights to attack my border city. Despite my allied CS, I was unable to save the city.

I tried to reload 15 or 20 turns earlier, to build better walls and better updated units to defend this city. This time Egypt didn’t attack… But Cleo just waited a few more turns… to crush Cathage with an even bigger army. As my army was only defensive (lack of iron to produce knights), I wasn’t able to help Carthage. And then I had a second… a much weaker city in front of the Egyptian invasion force. Pretty sure that I had no chance to stop them.

Well… goodbye Persia, I guess I have to learn more !

Obviously, the AI is much more efficient at warfare. Even on the lower levels ! They update units ; they concentrate their units to attack ; they choose the best target… As I’m not really fond of enormous armies to build and manage, I think I’ll have to stay on warlord level (sad, after 25 years on civ series…), or to play all my games with Sumeria (for its ability to wipe out neighbors early… even though they stand far away from you).

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  6. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

I have an issue with the catapult comment. I had the same problem (as a human no less) in one of my games. No niter whatsoever, and no CS to get it from nor a city near me to "permanently borrow" it from. Since I wasn't in war mode, I just waited until I got artillery.

However, that's not a fault of not upgrading. That's not having a resource. And, on the flip side, I became Allies with Congo when he had built aerodomes and so forth, and then I see a message that he had just completed Rifling. :crazyeye: The beelines on the tech tree *also* make it seem like there is no unit upgrading, when in fact even some of the advanced AI's don't have the tech for it.

Victoria likes this.
  7. Victoria

Yes, I played last night with Monty as an ally and saw him attacking Pedros warriors with his muskets.... so I gave him free niter as I did not want to limit his upgrade capability. Pedro suddenly has a couple of muskets but more importantly their city defences went sky high. I find this a big problem with design. If you cannot find niter your city defences are naff as well.

8. rschissler

rschissler King

Based on my extensive experience with Civ IV, the premier iteration of the series, the AI would always upgrade. They would upgrade their city based units to Riflemen, then Infantry, then Mech. Infantry, ASAP. These weren't new units either, definite upgrades.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    LDiCesare and ZubieMaster like this.
  9. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Prince

I'm playing a game on immortal right now and Trajan has an army strength of over 2000 (about double mine) and is basically a runaway on the other continent so to say the AI isn't building or upgrading units just isn't true. China also declared war on me and took a city with walls by bringing 4 catapults, knights, horsemen, and Xbows (first time this has happened to me though I've had some super close calls). It's going to be a tough slog to pull this one out. I've had more unit casualties in this game than any I've played by far and I haven't even attempted war with Rome yet, though I will soon have to.

10. BuzWeaverCiv

BuzWeaverCiv Warlord

Since the recent patches/updates I've noticed that the AI will make Air Units, but doesn't use them. Also, I've noticed that the AI no longer makes AA Units. I do remember them making AA Units when the game launched, but I've not noticed them making any since the first patch/update.

11. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I'll second this. I recently had an Atomic Era war with Brazil and made extensive use of Fighters and Bombers to harass his troops and weaken his city. He had a Bomber just sitting waiting in the city I took, and the only thing he attacked my Fighters with was Machine Guns :p.