Did Ed Beach reveal the leaders on purpose?

Did Ed Beach purposely reveal the leader list?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seriously,

I don't really picture ed Beach has a machevialian PR master. It's true he could have revealed the leaders intentionallly, hell he could even have planted 'the leader picture' thus creating the expectation for its second intentional mistake. What a mastermind !

But , seriously , I think he just made a mistake, after a long run leading the dev of civ6 and now the PR/marketing aspects are also part of his work , he can be tired , he can make mistake and I'm pretty sure that 's what happened . And my guess is , he just went on holidays on the only 'break' he could find :)

But hey maybe he's the godlike PR mastermind and not a simple overworked/passionnated man.

So was deleting the video on purpose or not ?!

Ah, good point. The conspiracy rises to a new level. They deleted the livestream video immediately after it ended.

However, this dastardly plan could have been hatched at the level of Sid himself. Ed could be a pawn in a larger game.

On further reflection though, Dark might be right. Ed went rogue. Based on the immediate deletion of the video, clearly the powers that be were unhappy. In a desperate attempt to show us the leaders that were already mostly correctly guessed he chanced his employment and his legacy with the civ series with a bold move destined to live for all the ages in the history books.

.......or he simply didn't realize they had all the civs in the civilopedia in this new build. That seems unlikely.

He outright said early on in the stream that the build is so new he didn't know everything that was in it yet.

It makes much more sense to think he was telling the truth and just didn't realize port-Germany civs were in the Civilopedia yet than it does to assume it was just step 1 of an elaborate ruse so he could leak some info in a way that makes his bosses upset at him for no reason.

One is an honest mistake, the other is a really stupid and pointless thing to do. Please don't insult Ed Beach by suggesting he'd do something like that, thanks.

I believe he didn't mean to reveal the new civ names, but maybe when he realized he made the mistake he decided to go all in and reveal the rest by scrolling down. Might as well at that point, or he wanted to do it for us. Then again, maybe he just had a "brain fart" and wasn't thinking what he was revealing until it happened. Who knows but the man himself. Maybe someone can ask him someday.

So was deleting the video on purpose or not ?!

I am constantly talking about Ed and his own will in that particular moment. Not the guys who deleted the video for some reason. These are two different things. Even this poll does not focus on this.

at this point it looks more and more like a PR stunt tbqh. I fail to understand though why is this important, I mean the game is literally a month or two before getting actually released and knowing or not knowing the playable leaders doesn't strike me as very likely to turn the tides of a civ game

Sorry for having missed this, is there a list of leaders being visible in this now infamous video? Where there any surprises or unexpected names?

Gorgo and Harald Hardrada were the only names we didn't already know. The part where Ed scrolled down the list only revealed three leaders that had already been officially announced and one leader that we've already seen the ingame model for.

Probably the most important thing that the stream leaked was that civs could have multiple leaders, which isn't something that anyone could say Ed was trying to highlight. People were arguing about Athens/Sparta vs multi-leader Greece until they were able to scrub a mirror of the video to grab screenshots of stuff he went through too quickly for people to notice.

But this is already quite a while ago... I thought something was said about him revealing it by going into Civilopedia?

Yes, and its first page was updated with the new information.

the leader board is complete. Poland and second Spain leader are probably for DLC to come soon as Civilopedia clearly shown there's no Jadviga or Isabella in the build.

.......or he simply didn't realize they had all the civs in the civilopedia in this new build. That seems unlikely.

He outright said early on in the stream that the build is so new he didn't know everything that was in it yet.
If this was planned by Ed, he should consider a job in acting, because he could make a major career there with the talent he showed in this live stream. :rolleyes:

Like Spoony says, he explicitly said he was not familiar with the build, and given their reaction once they realized what was up on the screen, I still feel very confident that it was not planned. He might have intentionally scrolled down once he realized that the cat was out of the bag, but from the way I saw it back then, he actually scrolled down while still looking for the agenda, and only at that time realized what was going on.

He might have intentionally scrolled down once he realized that the cat was out of the bag, but from the way I saw it back then, he actually scrolled down while still looking for the agenda, and only at that time realized what was going on.

I never saw the video, but I was about to ask if maybe Ed scrolled down just to look at the rest of Germany's civilopedia entry before he realized what he was inadvertently revealing. But then I saw that Kasper beat me to it.

The only thing I will add is that Occam's Razor suggests it was just an accident, rather than some elaborate conspiracy or intentional reveal on Ed's part.

Also, saying that Ed made a simple mistake =/= saying that Ed is a complete moron who needs to wear a helmet and be spoon-fed for the rest of his life.

I watched the whole video, and I haven't seen anything like that.

The video of the stream has been posted on the Civ 6 YT channel. One glance at the upper right corner at any time stamp is enough to see that the question mark button is dimmed, greyed out.

The video of the stream has been posted on the Civ 6 YT channel. One glance at the upper right corner at any time stamp is enough to see that the question mark button is dimmed, greyed out.

Because it was not planned (the leak). It was Ed's will to reveal it (a moment).

Top Bottom